Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Davo21
Davo21 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Novice's questions about Aldiko and Moon+

This is my very first post here.

I have owned a Sony ereader for a few years and am happy with that save for the fact that organising books into collections is time consuming and there's no way I can see to mark books as "already read".

I just scored a Nexus 7 for my birthday this week and am playing around with a few readers. Aldiko and Moon+ seem to be very popular with Android owners. I've used Calibre on my PC to load books into both these to try them. I like the brightness adjuster in both for night reading.

Both have a lot of versatility but I'm a bit disappointed that:

. Moon+ cannot organise books by author into Collections or separate folders. I have a lot of books and trawling through alphabetically is a bit cumbersome.

. neither of them appear to have the capacity to mark books as read. Like many, I forget what I have read and what I haven't.

Can the more knowledgeable here please let me know if it's simple user error on my part, or suggest a reader that can do these things? I had a look at downloading the Sony software I'm used to but apparently am unable to do so in Australia.

Many thanks.

PS: I read on another thread here that Moon+ has metadata editing properties. I am using Calibre to do that. Can someone please point me to how I access this function on Moon.
Davo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
don't think there is a collections option in Moon+

If you go into My Books (the one that lists all your books) at the top right is a drop down, this can be changed so books are sorted by author

for books read, the latest version has a badge on the book cover, this shows how far through the book you are, so any with 100% are finished
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
You can use Calibre tags to sort in Moon+. When your on the "My Shelf" screen go to the menu and select Shelf Type-->By Tags. It will give you a list of all of your tags.

Not quite the same as being able to sort by tags - it's more of a filter where you can view one tag at a time but still very useful. It will at least save you from always scrolling through ALL your books.
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I tried various methods to keep track of the books that I had finished, I finally let Calibre do it.

My method may not suit you, but it works for me since I never keep more than 20 books on my reader at any given time and I access my books by file name.

Method 1: Create a "Read" column where you flag the book as read, unread or on the reader.

Method 2: Create three libraries named Read, Unread and OnReader (my choice).

When I finish a book I use the tablet file manager to rename the book by putting "zz" at the beginning of the file name. This puts them at the end of an alphabetic listing and somewhat out of the way. Then when I decide to add new books to the reader, I just update Calibe as I delete the read books from the tablet.

Just some ideas. I hope it helps.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
nkd431
Enthusiast
nkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Nokia N810, Nook 3G, Nook Color, Nook HD+
I use Aldiko 99% of the time. I use the stars to rate a book after I read it and that also tells me if I have read it or not. These stars in Aldiko do not seem to be the same ones from calibre by the way.

For sorting into series etc Aldiko does not have easy way to do this. SO I discovered FBreader can sort by series, etc. If I point it to the same folder Aldiko uses then I can use FBreader to sort books on my reader easily. I use it as a reference and still read the book in Aldiko. I only use FBreader if I am away from the computer, traveling etc., and can't use calibre.

I do not use FBreader to read because I like the Aldiko color choices better. I prefer the Autocad color scheme - dark blue background and white text.
nkd431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
My favorite reader is Coolreader you can mark books as read. It mainly uses a folder based system so you using save to template in calibre you can send books to your reader in any kind of folder hierarchy you like.
At the same time it also sort books by Authors, Titles, Series, By Rating, To Read, Reading and Finished
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The short is I recommend Montano it has the best manager I've seen.

Personally I hate the clutter of books on the reader app. I like to limit the number of books on my device to only a few.

However I do find the books read and progress important I also think it's important to

I use Goodreads to maintain that information and calibre for book sorting, searching, storage. Moon has supports OPDS sites so it is easy to use Moon with my calibre Web server. I also store my annotations on evernote and Dropbox so I don't lose those.

Last edited by =X=; 04-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
Davo21

Thanks all. Will try out each suggestion.

Any suggestions for this:

"PS: I read on another thread here that Moon+ has metadata editing properties. I am using Calibre to do that. Can someone please point me to how I access this function on Moon."
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Davo21

Solved the last issue - long tap on book cover>Edit.