Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
GirlCami
GirlCami began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
author separation

Have the latest Kindle (3). Use the Create Collections plug-in with my Calibre program, organized by Author.
After using this, noticed immediately that when there is more than 1 author: you must separate them by "&" in order for that book to be added to that author's collection.
My dad & I email books back & forth to each other. But even if I edit metadata to include the &'s separating multiple authors and/or convert the ebooks........when I "connect/share" this book to him or vice versa....when they are added to Calibre--they revert to being separated by semicolons.
Very frustrating to have to remember to go back and change the semicolons to ampersands. That is the only change that doesn't transfer over when email sharing through the program. Really wish they would allow the authors to transfer over as is instead of standardizing them to all be separated by semicolons. Is this even a possiblity for a future update?

Any helpful comments are welcomed.
GirlCami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
What is your setting in "Preferences->Adding Books" for "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name"?

I'm wondering if the authors having semi-colons is embedded in the book metadata.

Calibre always uses & for denoting multiple authors. Any semi-colons you see are coming from however you are importing the books. There are other things that you can do with downloading metadata etc.

Also you say you are sharing books with your Dad by email. I suggest (instead) using something like a shared folder on a Dropbox account - way easier. Then just use Calibre's Send to Disk functionality. That will ensure that your changes to the book metadata of ampersands will be preserved, then your Dad just should use "Add books from folder, one file per folder" from the shared dropbox folder to pull it into his Calibre (is he using it too?). If he isn't, then he can drag them onto his Kindle in ordinary fashion.

Either way I think what is happening is that you are sharing with your Dad the original "kakked" metadata files and not the updated ones that will happen when either you (a) use the save to disk feature, (b) use the send to device feature, or (c) do a conversion.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert