Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #151
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I bought quite a few Big Six books on sale there; they generally had lower prices than the Kobo store. Plus, I didn't mind the name...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #152
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I liked buying audiobooks from them--with the discounts, the prices could be very good.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #153
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I bought quite a few from them. I was starting to buy more because of other bookstore closures, but it didn't last long!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #154
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I just checked today to see if there were any new updates on their site and found the following message AND downloads are no longer working. Very sad.

Quote:
** Please immediately download any eBooks or audio books you have not yet downloaded **
BooksOnBoard is ceasing all retail operations. Downloads will no longer be available after July 2, 2013. Please immediately download any eBooks or audio books you have not yet downloaded.
Please sign in on the login page to download books you have purchased. Our distributors will no longer support downloads of prior purchases from our site after that date.
Many of our customers are using Calibre or other tools to strip DRM from their downloaded eBooks in order to have them available indefinitely should they change reading devices. This is apparently being done for their personal use and convenience, not for piracy. We are told this is in the spirit of the eBook license and that it is common practice.
We continue to attempt to re-structure to compete more effectively against Goliaths who have entered our marketplace since we first launched in 2006, i.e., Amazon, Apple, Google, Sony and Barnes & Noble.
Thank you for your support of our store over the last seven years during which we have pioneered many innovations with our customers, including the first eBooks for sale on the iPhone. We look forward to serving you again with an exciting new approach soon.

The BooksOnBoard team
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #155
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Sad, but the comment about stripping DRM is interesting... "in the spirit of the eBook license".
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #156
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Sad, but the comment about stripping DRM is interesting... "in the spirit of the eBook license".
Calibre isn't a DRM-stripping tool, however. It would have been nice if they'd gotten that bit right. In some oppressive legal climates, their statement could be read as pretty much an accusation of criminal activity by the Calibre developers, no?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #157
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Calibre isn't a DRM-stripping tool, however. It would have been nice if they'd gotten that bit right. In some oppressive legal climates, their statement could be read as pretty much an accusation of criminal activity by the Calibre developers, no?
Yes, I know and I did think about that aspect. Calibre itself doesn't provide or condone the use of such tools.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #158
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Yes, I know and I did think about that aspect. Calibre itself doesn't provide or condone the use of such tools.
Nonetheless, the closure of this store is a prime example why one *should* download any digital purchase and strip DRM ASAP.

Outright refusing to buy any stuff that has DRM on it would be even better, but in my case at least, that is not possible, or I would need to forego a lot of books that I really do want to read.

If I couldn't strip DRM within 2 seconds (or in this case, while importing into Calibre), then I'd definitely not buy such books. In that case I'd rather buy them on paper, or not at all, however much I want to read them.

I wonder what "exciting new approach" they'll be thinking of. What other approach besides "We offer this, you pay, you get it" works? Streaming ebooks, to be used on always-on devices only? No way. Not for me.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #159
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If I couldn't strip DRM within 2 seconds (or in this case, while importing into Calibre), then I'd definitely not buy such books. In that case I'd rather buy them on paper, or not at all, however much I want to read them.
Same. If it hadn't been for ConvertLit I would have never been able to go all digital (except for certain non-fiction stuff) back in 2007. In fact I'd probably have stuck with paper books completely except for the stuff I got free, like the Baen CD's in some of my old hardcovers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #160
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Confession time.
When I first joined and started to read about DRM, something I'd never encountered before, my initial thought was, "a bunch of whiners who wants everything for free". Now I know better. Can't believe how ignorant I was.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #161
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're not the first... and you won't be the last.

In my case, I was lucky.

I got internet in 1998. That year, Internet by modem became feasible in the Netherlands with regard to pricing. (One could get internet since 1994 or so, but it was very expensive; like $40 for a monthly subscription, plus phone bills.)

It was too slow and expensive to download stuff that was bigger than a few megabytes. One (1) MB took about 4 minutes, so even a low-quality MP3 took 15 minutes to download. Not worth it. Get a second-hand CD, and make the MP3's yourself. It was cheaper.

Downloading bigger things only got feasable after I got cable in 2001 (again, I was one of the first to get this when it became available in my region). And at that point (2001), the iPod got introduced, and iTunes and many other stores started offering WMA, AAC and/or MP3's for sale, loaded with all kinds of different DRM (And 128 kBit quality to boot...).

Often, it wasn't even possible to play songs outside the player the seller offered, or they only worked on select devices. (So, they were comparable to non-stripped eBooks.) Many, maybe most of the non-iTunes stores died within 1-3 years, and it was "big news" that many people lost the content they paid for.

Therefore, I already am in the know from the very beginning, before I started to buy digital-only content. I started to buy digital-only content in 2009 or so, when GOG.com launched, and later, eBooks in 2011, after making sure I could get the DRM off of them. For music, I still go the second-hand CD-route to create my own digital music; FLAC files, this time around.

Many people, especially younger and older persons and not too tech-savvy people, are not that lucky. They sometimes get very nasty surprises with regard to content not being readable or available.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #162
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Confession time.
When I first joined and started to read about DRM, something I'd never encountered before, my initial thought was, "a bunch of whiners who wants everything for free". Now I know better. Can't believe how ignorant I was.
That's ok. Most people aren't even aware of DRM until it bites them. It's definitely not that we want things for free... we just want to be able to keep what we paid for. Imagine if you owned an Oldsmobile or Saturn and when GM dropped those brands, you could no longer drive your car or you could only drive it until it had an issue and then you could no longer find parts for it (which may not be far from reality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Often, it wasn't even possible to play songs outside the player the seller offered, or they only worked on select devices. (So, they were comparable to non-stripped eBooks.) Many, maybe most of the non-iTunes stores died within 1-3 years, and it was "big news" that many people lost the content they paid for.

Therefore, I already am in the know from the very beginning, before I started to buy digital-only content. I started to buy digital-only content in 2009 or so, when GOG.com launched, and later, eBooks in 2011, after making sure I could get the DRM off of them. For music, I still go the second-hand CD-route to create my own digital music; FLAC files, this time around.

Many people, especially younger and older persons and not too tech-savvy people, are not that lucky. They sometimes get very nasty surprises with regard to content not being readable or available.
Even with DRM-free content, it's always wise to download and store it locally just in case. Baen's deal with Amazon could have been exclusive and we could have lost all of the books we'd bought from them. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. Hopefully the ebook industry will catch on soon. Baen and Tor are leading the way.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #163
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm confused about why BoB even mentioned DRM stripping in the notice.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #164
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm confused about why BoB even mentioned DRM stripping in the notice.
^This

I'm also asking the same question. It makes no sense to me.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #165
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

It does to me.

By mentioning DRM and Calibre, they may be suggesting a course of action to unknowing people, so they start doing research so they can unlock the books they paid for. Sort of a last heroic, humanity-saving act while dying...