Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Question for iPad owners

My roommate wants an iPad in the worst way so he'll probably get one next year, and since I'm the household network administrator*, I have a question or two for the iPad owners. When connected to your wifi, does it show up as a network device (like the kindle, my print server, etc) or does it show up as a computer? And the printing ability - does it only connect to post-script network printers? (This is the case for non-Intel Macs with OSX, at least the one living in my house, so I'm curious about iOS-based devices.)

*a fancy title indicating that I'm supposed to "just make it work".

Thanks,
CW
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
it won't show up on your network at all.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
It appears as a network device.
valentin bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for your contrasting replies. I'm assuming that mjhudston is referring to the fact that it doesn't show up on the network map in Windows (or other OS equivalent), and that Valentin means that the router (or network software interface) sees it as a network device. Please correct me if I'm assuming wrong on either. I know that Vista does not see my Kindle at all when it builds the network map, but my router sure knows it's there, allowing me to track its traffic, block it, label it as an intruder, etc. That's what I was referring to.

Thanks again, both of you.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
If you're just interested in how the router sees it, then yes, it shows up like any other DHCP client, with a MAC address and requesting an IP and everything. Like every network-enabled device.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Thank you both for your contrasting replies. I'm assuming that mjhudston is referring to the fact that it doesn't show up on the network map in Windows (or other OS equivalent), and that Valentin means that the router (or network software interface) sees it as a network device. Please correct me if I'm assuming wrong on either. I know that Vista does not see my Kindle at all when it builds the network map, but my router sure knows it's there, allowing me to track its traffic, block it, label it as an intruder, etc. That's what I was referring to.

Thanks again, both of you.
spot on, sorry for the confusion.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Would anything not show up on the router? I can't say I've ever heard of that.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
If you're just interested in how the router sees it, then yes, it shows up like any other DHCP client, with a MAC address and requesting an IP and everything. Like every network-enabled device.
And on our router, all I had to do was add in the MAC address to the allowed list and then my wife had to type in the network password and she was up and running online. Easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorlike View Post
Would anything not show up on the router? I can't say I've ever heard of that.
Your question is probably the result of my poor phrasing in my original question. I knew the router would see it once connected, I was just curious if it would show up as a network device not accessible to the others on the network, like the Kindle; an "accessible" network device, like my print server (accessible to all of the computers on the network); or as a computer, for which accessibility would be user-specified. Devices that aren't network accessible generally don't show up on Windows' network map, for example, while accessible devices and computers generally do.