Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Chrystalline
Enthusiast
Chrystalline began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Virtual Library Help

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Virtual library function. I'm trying to create one that isolates the stories that are In-Progress but that I haven't marked Followed on their fanfic site, and I can't figure out how to get it to work.

For virtual library titled InProgress, I have:
#progress:"=In-Progress", #ffferrors:false

That works, but I want to add:
not #followed:"=Yes"

That never works. I get zero results. It's not the number of criteria, because virtual library Unread has:
not #id:"=CDL", not #id:"=Chrys", not #id:"=CDLauryl"

which works just fine. (Those are my IDs on various websites, so I can track what's where)

In case the problem was mixing positive/negative criteria, I tried:
#progress:"=In-Progress", #ffferrors:false, #followed:false, #followed:"=NA", #followed:"=No", #followed:"=ToDo"

That didn't work either, so I tried removing #followed:false to see if that was it, but no, still no good.

I can use the tag browser in the InProgress virtual library to select not #followed:"=Yes", as long as I don't want to run other searches, but I wish I could figure out how to get it to work as the virtual library. Help?
Chrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You show commas
I use key words 'and' or 'or' when I want multiple criteria
Have Read (VL)
Code:
#finished:true and formats:EPUB
Not Read
Code:
Not #finished:>1/1/2000 and formats:true and not formats:other
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Chrystalline
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You show commas
I use key words 'and' or 'or' when I want multiple criteria
Thank you! I was using what had worked in the search bar. For the most part I'd been getting the results I expected with commas, but I hadn't pinned down the and/or thing in a way I could predict. Sometimes it would give me what I wanted, and sometimes I had no idea why it did what it did. I try to figure things out myself where I can, but the main help file is too "coder" for me to really follow. Your examples really help!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

I didn't realise one could use commas, I wonder if, in the first example, this might have worked

Code:
(#progress:"=In-Progress", #ffferrors:false), not #followed:"=Yes"
Grouping search terms in parentheses can help clarify search expressions, in some cases they're essential to remove ambiguities.

A useful addition to the Advanced search feature would be the ability to build multi-term search expressions with the requisite 'and' and 'or' conjunctions and parentheses. I saw one not long ago, danged if I can remember where though. Shift clicking in the Tag browser is difficult for some users - well, at least one user

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
Chrystalline
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I didn't realise one could use commas, I wonder if, in the first example, this might have worked

Code:
(#progress:"=In-Progress", #ffferrors:false), not #followed:"=Yes"
Grouping search terms in parentheses can help clarify search expressions, in some cases they're essential to remove ambiguities.
I tested it, just to see, and yes, that worked too. I actually didn't realize I could shift-click in the tag browser - I'd just brazened my way through, copying what the tag browser generated in the search bar and pasting it back in with comma separation with what the tag browser generated for the next criterion. There's so much I don't know about this program...