Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
touch is flaky

I'm wondering if it's just me ... or perhaps my fingers are too big

But, the touch feature of the Nook Touch seems to be more than a tad annoying. A few examples:;

- I bring up the text resize menu and select a new font size. So far, easy. But to get out of the popup I try to hit the <x> at the top left of the popup. Sometimes it just works (hurrah!), sometimes I need to hold my finger there (well, it is working), and then at other times I just hold my finger on the book text.

- I try to highlight a word for dictionary lookup. Most times I get the word on the NEXT line. If I use a larger line spacing it seems to be easier.

- in the unsupported (yes, I know what that means) I just spent some time sitting outside trying to access and read my gmail. Okay, if you try enough times you are able to select a message. And, then, again trying many times, I can scroll up/down. I never managed to delete a message, or to return the messsage list screen.

- I need to be VERY slow and methodical using the keyboard popup. Very easy to hit the wrong key or multiple keys.

On the nook's favor ... going back and forth between pages does work just fine.

Maybe a new firmware? Or maybe rooting?
Mellobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I don't have that problem, but you could try to use something else to interact with the screen, like a pen with the cap on. Being infrared, you do not need to touch with your fingers.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellobob View Post
I'm wondering if it's just me ... or perhaps my fingers are too big

But, the touch feature of the Nook Touch seems to be more than a tad annoying. A few examples:;

- I bring up the text resize menu and select a new font size. So far, easy. But to get out of the popup I try to hit the <x> at the top left of the popup. Sometimes it just works (hurrah!), sometimes I need to hold my finger there (well, it is working), and then at other times I just hold my finger on the book text.

- I try to highlight a word for dictionary lookup. Most times I get the word on the NEXT line. If I use a larger line spacing it seems to be easier.

- in the unsupported (yes, I know what that means) I just spent some time sitting outside trying to access and read my gmail. Okay, if you try enough times you are able to select a message. And, then, again trying many times, I can scroll up/down. I never managed to delete a message, or to return the messsage list screen.

- I need to be VERY slow and methodical using the keyboard popup. Very easy to hit the wrong key or multiple keys.

On the nook's favor ... going back and forth between pages does work just fine.

Maybe a new firmware? Or maybe rooting?
You don't need to hit the X by the way. Just tap anywhere above the dialog after making your selections.

Also when selecting a word, Nook displays the currently selected word at the top of the page. If it is the wrong one, drag your finger around until you get the right one. Works even with small text and fat fingers.

The browser is worthless in its current state. Don't torture yourself with it.

The touch keyboard may require some practice. I had the benefit of several months of 'training' on the much smaller iPod Touch keyboard, but I can already type faster and more accurately on Nook than either it or with Kindle's crappy keyboard.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
hmmm (me thinks) I am glad I have the Sony PRS350 lol..
Those all sound like initial bugs to be worked out.
Give it time.. for new firmware updates..
unless it is a defective hardware..
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I don't have that problem, but you could try to use something else to interact with the screen, like a pen with the cap on. Being infrared, you do not need to touch with your fingers.
I'll try that. I played a little with a pen with the nib retracted and it sort-of worked. I'll have to try that again.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Mellobob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You don't need to hit the X by the way. Just tap anywhere above the dialog after making your selections.
Still catch as catch can for me. Sometimes tapping works ... other times it doesn't. I have no idea how the ifrared screen works ... anyone? Does it just measure movement or heat? Is the pressure I tap/hold with important? I'm sure it's just a matter of developing the right touch.

Quote:
Also when selecting a word, Nook displays the currently selected word at the top of the page. If it is the wrong one, drag your finger around until you get the right one. Works even with small text and fat fingers.
Okay. I just tried again. And, yes, it appears to work. Again, I guess it'll take some practice.

Quote:
The browser is worthless in its current state. Don't torture yourself with it.
Agreed! Probably the reason it's not mentioned by B&N.

Quote:
The touch keyboard may require some practice. I had the benefit of several months of 'training' on the much smaller iPod Touch keyboard, but I can already type faster and more accurately on Nook than either it or with Kindle's crappy keyboard.

I'll have to trust you on this one Probably like the other "needs practice" issues.