Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Calibre not recognizing Android devices

When I plug my Kindle into my laptop Calibre displays a Device button on the toolbar.

When I plug my Android table or phone into my laptop, the laptop recognizes the device but Calibre does not display the Device button.

I'm obviously missing something quite simple (I searched the forum and found nothing) -- any suggestions?

Thanks!
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum, where you're much more likely to get help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Thanks, Harry.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the answer may be that the MTP protocol (which Android devices use to communicate) only supports one connection at a time, so if you have the device open in Windows Explorer, Calibre won't be able to connect to it.

I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to confirm or deny that.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
bmacaskill
Enthusiast

Thanks Harry -- MTP was it. Both devices were set to charge; setting them to MTP did the trick. It's something I had known but had forgotten ;-) Old age.
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Excellent. Delighted to hear that the problem is solved! It's some years since I've owned an Android device myself (I'm more of an Apple man ) so my memory was a little vague.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-30-2017 at 12:57 PM.