Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
rabe3ab
Enthusiast
rabe3ab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Question Should I buy new KPW2 with 5.6.1.0.6??

Hello,
I want to buy a new KPW2, and I think it will be shipped with the latest firmware 5.6.1.0.6.
So, it will not be able to be jailbreak-ed, (I don't think I will do the serial port method).

1- can I install Duokan in the latest firmware without jailbreaking??

2- can I edit the margins (especially for PDFs) on the device?
or I need to do that via PC?

3- Does it support RTL sideloaded books (Arabic)?

4- Whats the compatibility with calibre (in converting books to mobi or azw3 and sending them to the device)?

thanks in advance
rabe3ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
1. No
2. No
3. Yes if using KF8
4. Campataibilty with Calibre works very well. You can convert to Mobi or KF8 but you are best off to convert to KF8 and treat Mobi like it doesn't exist.

If there is anything you don't like about the settings or the way eBooks look, then a Kindle is not for you. You have to be willing to put up with things the way they are by default since you cannot jailbreak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
rabe3ab
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1. No
2. No
3. Yes if using KF8
4. Campataibilty with Calibre works very well. You can convert to Mobi or KF8 but you are best off to convert to KF8 and treat Mobi like it doesn't exist.

If there is anything you don't like about the settings or the way eBooks look, then a Kindle is not for you. You have to be willing to put up with things the way they are by default since you cannot jailbreak.
thank you for your fast replay.

for converting epub or pdf to kf8, should I use calibre or KindleGen??
which is better?

and what is the best program to remove margins from pdf on pc?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Duokan will work just as soon as we have a working jailbreak for them to steal (without accreditation).

Don't bother with kindlegen, as was already said, calibre works just fine.

I suggest trying k2pdfopt for reformatting PDFs for ereaders.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe3ab View Post
3- Does it support RTL sideloaded books (Arabic)?
Note that the default Arabic glyphs are hard to read and that there are problems with the vowel placement.

For more information, see this thread.

(If you have Arabic .pdf books, you'll need to resize them for 6" screens with K2pdfopt using the RTL option, because the default PDF viewer sucks.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
rabe3ab
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Note that the default Arabic glyphs are hard to read and that there are problems with the vowel placement.

For more information, see this thread.

(If you have Arabic .pdf books, you'll need to resize them for 6" screens with K2pdfopt using the RTL option, because the default PDF viewer sucks.)
I don't really care about the vowels.
but will the letters be displayed joined properly or be separated?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe3ab View Post
I don't really care about the vowels.
but will the letters be displayed joined properly or be separated?
Letters without vowels will be displayed OK.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote