Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
ReiskaC
ReiskaC began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 (2013)
Help moving my Calibre library and the server component

I'd like to move my Calibre library and the server component to my always-on home server which runs Ubuntu server without a screen (and no X installed) and do the library administration of the library from my workstation over the network with the Calibre GUI client. (i.e. move the library on my network share on the Linux box)

I've googled around all evening and there doesn't seem to be a suitable recipe for installing only the server components on my headless / X'less / Qt-less server. The Ubuntu package of Calibre wants to install all kind of X-related crud that I don't want on my server :-(

Is there a suggested configuration for installing only the server component without the GUI libraries on a server?

Or maybe there is another complementary distribution server application that would read the Calibre libraries and emulate the Calibre server so that MoonReader can download books of my Linux box at any time?
ReiskaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You must install the entire calibre package, or none of it. However, one alternative is to use a regular server, with http://calibre2opds.com to create a plain old html catalog.

Also, be aware that calibre cannot use a library located on a NAS, and will silently fail to update information. Then you will find out, when your books cannot be found, that something must be wrong. Some people have got it working, purely by luck and the phase of the moon, but it's not something you want to rely on. Sync the folders, or at least make sure the calibre computer is the one which own the files.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-30-2014 at 11:20 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved posts to their own thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are several alternate content servers in the Related Tools forum.

In general it is not a good idea to use a distro's package for calibre. They are usually out of date, sometimes many months or even years so. Sometimes they contain errors. Lastly, nobody here will support them.

I run calibre's content server on a headless VPS using xvfb, behind apache in reverse proxy mode so apache handles security. Works beautifully.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote