Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #1096
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@smmorris: What you describe is pretty much what I found. I don't usually see this problem because I do add the book to the currently-reading shelf when I start reading a book. And I add it to other shelves at the same time.

So, the workaround for this bug in the Goodreads API is to add it to the currently-reading shelf before adding it to the read shelf. But, I really don't like the idea of doing this in the plugin. It would mean checking if the book is already on the currently-reading shelf before adding it. That's ugly.

I'll do some more experiments as I have time. Maybe I'll see another way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #1097
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@smmorris: What you describe is pretty much what I found. I don't usually see this problem because I do add the book to the currently-reading shelf when I start reading a book. And I add it to other shelves at the same time.

So, the workaround for this bug in the Goodreads API is to add it to the currently-reading shelf before adding it to the read shelf. But, I really don't like the idea of doing this in the plugin. It would mean checking if the book is already on the currently-reading shelf before adding it. That's ugly.

I'll do some more experiments as I have time. Maybe I'll see another way.
There's a strange thing. It looks like the problem is that shelf/add_to_shelf, when you add it to the read shelf (I don't know if this happens only when you don't go through currently_reading), doesn't return the right review id, so when you later add the date, you're adding it to a review which is not right. I have a book that is diving me, through add_to_shelf, review_id = 2284345769, but if I get the review though get_review, I get 2284344169, the right one. Change in the API? Possibly, but I don't know.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #1098
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iphone
I'm having a bit of a strange problem. I'm sure its something in some setting but hell if I can find it. When I SYNC FROM SHELVES it is only listing one shelf. Many of my books are on multiple shelves but it only shows one shelf. Interestingly if I highlight a book and use the LINKED BOOKS -> LINKED BOOKS -> DOWNLOAD TAGS FROM SHELVES I get all of them. Any ideas?
tarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #1099
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarisea View Post
I'm having a bit of a strange problem. I'm sure its something in some setting but hell if I can find it. When I SYNC FROM SHELVES it is only listing one shelf. Many of my books are on multiple shelves but it only shows one shelf. Interestingly if I highlight a book and use the LINKED BOOKS -> LINKED BOOKS -> DOWNLOAD TAGS FROM SHELVES I get all of them. Any ideas?
Those are two very different actions.

The latter is saying to get the name of all the shelves from Goodreads for a book and add those names as a tag. There is no configuration for this.

The "Sync from Shelves" action is configurable. In the config dialog, you define the actions when doing this. The actions are mainly adding or removing a value from a column, but also include syncing the ratings, read date and review text. The "Sync from Shelves" dialog only shows Goodreads shelves for which you have configured sync actions.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #1100
Wolgan
Wolgan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Unhappy Goodreads Date Read Trouble Again..

I've got a weird issue. It seems like only some of my books are syncing the Date Read, both with 1.11.0 and the beta 1.11.1 posted recently. I can't for the life of me figure out what the difference between them is.

I read these books back to back, added them to Goodreads the same way, but Tamer syncs the date read, and Eye of the Tiger doesn't.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2309825149
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2309825111

If any you smart people can spot anything I'm doing wrong, or that I could do as a workaround, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much!

Edit: Specifically, I go the book page on Goodreads, add it to my Read shelf, then fill out the review screen that pops up, adding the dates there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodreads Sync Config.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	162585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodreads Sync Temp Shelf.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	162586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Column Properties.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	162587  

Last edited by Wolgan; 03-02-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: More detail, screenshots.
Wolgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #1101
dewd
Enthusiast
dewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolgan View Post
Edit: Specifically, I go the book page on Goodreads, add it to my Read shelf, then fill out the review screen that pops up, adding the dates there.
There is a GR issue with adding dates from the book's GR page; I have no idea why. However there is a work-around: add (or edit) the dates from your "My books - read" page. You don't even have to change the dates - just find the book that has the non-sync'ing date, click "edit" next to the read-date, then click "Save". Sync again, and the read-date will sync.

Not ideal to have to do it via a work-around, but probably a lot faster than waiting for GR to fix whatever the problem is.
dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #1102
Wolgan
Wolgan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewd View Post
There is a GR issue with adding dates from the book's GR page; I have no idea why. However there is a work-around: add (or edit) the dates from your "My books - read" page. You don't even have to change the dates - just find the book that has the non-sync'ing date, click "edit" next to the read-date, then click "Save". Sync again, and the read-date will sync.

Not ideal to have to do it via a work-around, but probably a lot faster than waiting for GR to fix whatever the problem is.
I tried that, and it worked on some, but not all. I've ended up just going through and setting them manually in calibre, and disabling date syncing from Goodreads completely. Easier than fighting it at this point. Thank you for the suggestion!
Wolgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #1103
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolgan View Post
I tried that, and it worked on some, but not all. I've ended up just going through and setting them manually in calibre, and disabling date syncing from Goodreads completely. Easier than fighting it at this point. Thank you for the suggestion!
One problem for what you are reporting is that I don't use the shelf sync. I do all this in calibre and sync from calibre to goodreads. As much as possible, I find a single place to maintain my data and then push it to elsewhere as needed. For books, calibre is that single place.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 PM   #1104
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
The following results happened with sync...is it on my end? I haven't changed anything...

calibre, version 3.19.0
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...1&per_page=200
Response Code: 401
not authorized
<!-- This is a random-length HTML comment: ewecpvugdiyhwycnemzxrmhjozzmimsrywhuwlosfczhvbhbam nigfiokntrupnnoeyxyheuipkyoiggwoarnblpjltbxfxhqbfe jqglfuwsueoasljgxshdugmgkinzwkypkhcqecnyxswfvpklty imogillqjpymhtelrfimbqxrpxzosjaafbsofchbfkjdbzfnrp oymixleqzwtvzousvdbmkjphgubunlcktewxwalwteciffedsc ytiycsiotrrmfuassegdoenxbafyzafpnxsxsidfwcubxotisw rvzyghqxlfbxfiqsrdozzrieojeqvacjdpvkyeoccnvwjiegiu aunmmimzifcuunbkyplztktvoijugygvthptsangtfbwynkvxq oabcumzhgqfkksdbwqmmpgsddbgsudobasdaouadlunjrsexgm urgnvoktsuutwodvqohaphbaazpciqhahwgvakkxrjfssemppo itdnevtoeawkyajytsndpmgdmazemelaksyjgccqihxmhviwpu syjxgdtshtflotrialpmwqclhiclagencxzvrbgkoqblrlbqam szblqsilrzdudsvrewqtvcihspbpqqsaryxokamaiuahxorpjd fhhihxtaglziluoznpgpfdrudabhulzvzzonftusiuhchvnoom ufjlsuqgpeuhoajnptgwydxefugnjcyashhjntdupvljxpslja jeujriuwzlgyxztjfokdgujvilqfoewwiawrvomnccdgpybwyu kgzyzzyotkkfickpgwgqeofqbmkffoyzeppjcxustnrjboxwix cauejktexhrlhlrtgxngoqwzxyrnhbqiqqjjvxfdgzxkrojemw cmhwemycqpodslefedwznvfckiqpxpcmnqxqqtvkukvpztwaxr mhpuslicfgekzstidxmrknfozdbhrqkszhruhwgifbnlvjvasb lbzsluzddmgwwvdpoqgfbmfevrotxzuojaepxhmdlqaxfmvxia tcjozkzjhyujlnkozhwcnvfoqvwpaxwdnpwexvmdyknnxmlxoo dnnzuejszvhjsvzgdradnrbzfcwcwmjgiztwyprlgvprerhxvq vysghsiusbqxzdnfyonekhdlhzyshgsopjvanrufydxgosywxt sjasbcrvzdgwbxmjrojvpizpajjollaldqsgdzhpvbmmezsjxu albzsyjnffkrgwhqmiquffvbgcleqcrffveixjnrzgkxndqdmc iogeyljruhtfesifedrmsoacukkfaslbsyjoqatiswgglihebq caaiihtjhimqhltkehthjgjcjdyhbwkynonzdxejtpenyfoood btdkpfotkxlyltavrizuepygdmglouwmkkaxgjoekrigrjusdq cpdxoqlhlikgpgmkcohxruhdqxqpuwwqfuttioqgqhqghkkxbd mehttmudnixsrsbsryqiizddvwjvdqybxwyulahetmwcxljbgl ycnmibsztlaaebratdvyxsbdgobfgkggkfwaizqedmykqpqazs vyftjraqoxnistuatswtkzrcvnsumvqchqfydmgdncfuvxctpa nskayvghtxuvdrubzjoqxckfakdpqcpvxdjtehvopwxaxrpxlp gkyslkqasdhcuutfwgyuqblxihzricltwztlqzvwnhdljcgkny emcaqmaidlcglowidbmafkppxoleueyoltaqelwmccdgsbkjnf brqmi -->
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #1105
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Nevermind...I'm in the GR equivalent of "time out". :-(
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #1106
jsschrstrcks
jsschrstrcks began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad air 2
First of all, your plugin is amazing and the reason I joined this forum. I love it!

I have a large number of books in calibre (~34-35k). I've been trying to slowly bring them all into goodreads. All the while adding books I physically own into calibre through goodreads. Its been a slow process. I spend an hour or so a week on this for roughly the past year or so.

I have maybe 500 books in goodreads that are not in calibre yet. When I try to sync from the "read" shelf (only 15600+/- titles), select 50 or so of the 500, and add blank book to calibre, then click sync; sometimes it fails. I forget the exact wording. But some kind of unhandled exception occurs.

How do I find the text of the error log to share? I kicked off the sync process around 1 est, so I'm expecting in the next half hour I should be able to post more details.

Last edited by jsschrstrcks; 03-29-2018 at 02:30 PM.
jsschrstrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #1107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsschrstrcks View Post
First of all, your plugin is amazing and the reason I joined this forum. I love it!

I have a large number of books in calibre (~34-35k). I've been trying to slowly bring them all into goodreads. All the while adding books I physically own into calibre through goodreads. Its been a slow process. I spend an hour or so a week on this for roughly the past year or so.

I have maybe 500 books in goodreads that are not in calibre yet. When I try to sync from the "read" shelf (only 15600+/- titles), select 50 or so of the 500, and add blank book to calibre, then click sync; sometimes it fails. I forget the exact wording. But some kind of unhandled exception occurs.

How do I find the text of the error log to share? I kicked off the sync process around 1 est, so I'm expecting in the next half hour I should be able to post more details.
I need the actual error message to have any clue of what is happening. When the error message was displayed in calibre, there was probably a "Details" button to see more information about it. And a "Copy" button to copy the details to the clipboard. When it happens again, copy and paste the full message here for me to look at.

For more details, you can run calibre in debug mode (right-click the preferences button and choose the option). This will write a lot of information to a file that is displayed when you close calibre. The log usually helps if the error message does. But, post the full error message first.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #1108
jsschrstrcks

will do, my internet flickered, and the multi-hour process failed. I'll kick it off again, and get you the full error.

I did some googling last time I tried it, and someone said the book was malformed on goodreads.

Problem was there were 50 or 100 being added to calibre in the sync from shelf command... when it takes as long as it takes, its time consuming to narrow it down to a single book or books.

I'll try to get the error text though. Hopefully will be able to post it back here before bed.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 AM   #1109
jsschrstrcks

calibre 3.20 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.16299-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.16299')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.16299', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP File Type (from KFX Input) (1, 1, 0) && Package KFX File Type (from KFX Input) (1, 1, 0) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && DOC Input (1, 0, 1) && GetFileName (0, 0, 12) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Job Spy (1, 0, 108) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 17) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 0) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && Save To Format (0, 0, 6) && QuarantineAndScrub (3, 6, 103) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 32) && Import List (1, 3, 0) && food network Recipe Reader (1, 0, 2) && Goodreads Sync (1, 11, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 16, 0) && KFX Output (1, 16, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 1, 0) && KFX Input (1, 1, 0) && Ex Libris (1, 0, 19) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Similar Stories (1, 0, 58)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 2347, in sync_button_clicked
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 2327, in _create_empty_books
ValueError: invalid literal for float(): 6B
Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #1110
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsschrstrcks View Post
calibre 3.20 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.16299-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.16299')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.16299', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP File Type (from KFX Input) (1, 1, 0) && Package KFX File Type (from KFX Input) (1, 1, 0) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && DOC Input (1, 0, 1) && GetFileName (0, 0, 12) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Job Spy (1, 0, 108) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 17) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 0) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && Save To Format (0, 0, 6) && QuarantineAndScrub (3, 6, 103) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 32) && Import List (1, 3, 0) && food network Recipe Reader (1, 0, 2) && Goodreads Sync (1, 11, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 16, 0) && KFX Output (1, 16, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 1, 0) && KFX Input (1, 1, 0) && Ex Libris (1, 0, 19) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Similar Stories (1, 0, 58)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 2347, in sync_button_clicked
File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 2327, in _create_empty_books
ValueError: invalid literal for float(): 6B
That is an error trying to set the series information. It looks like one of the books has a series name, but a non-numberic series index. On the sync dialog, the "GR Series" column should show the series info like "series name[1]". In this case, it looks like the series index is "6B". Can you find the book with this or some other strange series index and send me the link to the book in Goodreads. I can probably fix it without this, but I wouldn't be able to test it.

In the meantime, you can get past this by not adding an empty book for books like this.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-30-2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Corrected assumption about what was in the series index.

Tags
calibre, goodreads