Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
KFX output linux

I know I've asked before in the past, but I can't find that thread. I use linux as my main driver and conversion to KFX is why I bought a new kindle. Any hacks to make that work for me?
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Conversion to KFX relies on Amazon’s Kindle Previewer software and that is available only for Windows and MacOS. No one has reported being able to run it under Linux.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 04:00 AM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Conversion to KFX relies on Amazon’s Kindle Previewer software and that is available only for Windows and MacOS. No one has reported being able to run it under Linux.
What a shame, this is blocking my move of calibre to Linux. I tried to move Calibre to linux just for fun, doing the "Export all calibre data", and moved my Windows library to kindle with all the settings, plugin etc, and it worked like magic.
Everything got moved an replicated perfectly, including the KFX Input plugin and some "shady" plugin we all know.

Only the output plugin failed, and so did the explicit install of it.
I came here to look for info and stumbled into this thread. What a bummer (of course not yours).
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:20 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use azw3, it's closer to open and industry standard epub. The reader advantages of KFX are marginal. Main advantages are being able to start reading during slow WiFi/Mobile download and for Amazon, more adaptive encryption. Uploaders to Amazon don't create KFX, that uses docx or epub.

We stopped using Whispernet on bought books years ago (which was KFX) and instead used "Download and Transfer" which gives azw3 (except some old content is mobi/prc). Then later many of us switched from reading on Kindle to reading on Kobo (including ebooks bought on Amazon).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:54 AM   #5
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Use azw3, it's closer to open and industry standard epub. The reader advantages of KFX are marginal. Main advantages are being able to start reading during slow WiFi/Mobile download and for Amazon, more adaptive encryption. Uploaders to Amazon don't create KFX, that uses docx or epub.

We stopped using Whispernet on bought books years ago (which was KFX) and instead used "Download and Transfer" which gives azw3 (except some old content is mobi/prc). Then later many of us switched from reading on Kindle to reading on Kobo (including ebooks bought on Amazon).
Oh no, I'm sorry but I totally disagree... Not arguing to what is "closer to industry standard", I will just say that "close" is "close", from the ethical point of view. If I had any interest in that, I would just use epub and that's it... but it's fair, not arguing on what is best on that part.

It's just that, at the end of the day, these are all instruments to let me do what I like the most, that is: reading. And KFX advantages are not at all marginal to me.

For starters, KFX has ligatures, which azw3 doesn't have: kfx just look better on paperwhite, closer to a printed page.
Second, kfx formatting is just better: maybe you english readers don't notice it that much because you don't use it (but I might be very wrong on that), but absurdly enough, azw3 has no automatic hypenation! It has to be like "hardcoded" into the file - which in turn might be hard when you do searches I think - or you must resort to do without hypenation.
This, in turn, makes the pages look ugly on the kindle, because either you resort to have (very) uneven/inconsistent spacing between a word and another, or maybe even worse, you accept having "left-alignment" on PW instead of justified text as you have in a printed page. And even in the first case, sometimes you have odd line ending.

So at the end of the day you end up with a very different (and inferior) reading experience with azw3.

Yes, I am aware of the hypenate_this! plugin, very neat work and I used it when kfx wasn't available, but even in that case: azw3 with hypenation take more space on disk (not important as I keep my books on epub format in my library), I have to manually run the plugin on each book unlike KFX conversion which can be set to automatically run upon copying to kindle, and some times the hypenation won't be correct.
So in the end, it's a workaround, good to be used when KFX conversion occasionally fails on those undocumented feature or for bugs, but still not on par with KFX. And it requires more work to obtain a typographically inferior output.

Lastly - even though I don't use it that often - KFX has some superior "accessory things" on Kindle, like the 9 by 9 page navigation and some little things like this if I'm not wrong.

Everyone can do as he pleases and I'm not criticizing your choices if they work for you, of course, but they don't for me, as I am focused on the final output quality.

I like Linux, I work with it and I have a couple of old machines set with that, but if I have to settle with an inferior setup in order to use calibre over there, I pass thank you.

I'm not considering the last bit because if I had to buy a different device to make it work, then it would not be a solution...
Also, if I'm not wrong, even for KOBO, they display their proprietary format (KEPUB) better and with more feature than EPUB.

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 11-11-2023 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This information is outdated. Although the GUI interface of the Kindle Previewer does not function under Linux, people have been able to make the Previewer CLI run under Wine and that is enough to allow the KFX Output plugin to produce KFX in calibre. See the Installation section of the KFX Output plugin documentation for some (now outdated) software combinations that have worked in the past.

Another alternative to using KFX Output to produce KFX is using one of Amazon's send-to-kindle methods. Doing that now delivers KFX format to many, but it may not be enabled in all regions yet. The main downside of that method is that the conversion is performed on Amazon's servers and the results are stored under your Amazon account. Some are concerned about the privacy implications of that. Personally, send-to-kindle is the method that I use myself these days, mostly because in addition to delivering KFX it allows syncing of reading position across apps and devices.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #7
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
If you have the latest firmware you could just use send to kindle from Amazon website. Those documents will be in kfx
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:01 AM   #8
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
This information is outdated. Although the GUI interface of the Kindle Previewer does not function under Linux, people have been able to make the Previewer CLI run under Wine and that is enough to allow the KFX Output plugin to produce KFX in calibre. See the Installation section of the KFX Output plugin documentation for some (now outdated) software combinations that have worked in the past.

Another alternative to using KFX Output to produce KFX is using one of Amazon's send-to-kindle methods. Doing that now delivers KFX format to many, but it may not be enabled in all regions yet. The main downside of that method is that the conversion is performed on Amazon's servers and the results are stored under your Amazon account. Some are concerned about the privacy implications of that. Personally, send-to-kindle is the method that I use myself these days, mostly because in addition to delivering KFX it allows syncing of reading position across apps and devices.
Hey, thanks for the update! Although it's a bummer that the plugin does not get automatically ported to Linux, yours is quite an interesting news!
I get that the send-to-kindle methods is probably the most easy to achieve and the most practical one, and although I am not concerned about privacy to Amazon (not only I don't have piracy to hide, but Amazon already knows my habit better than me), I don't like the idea to have to use wifi to have ebooks delivered to me (I can use it, but I don't like to be forced to)... and most important, right now the only plugin I really make use of on the Kindle is the Collection plugins... and for that I would be forced to connect to Kindle anyway I understand...
Therefore I think I'll give it a go on Wine on my Linux machine... should be fun!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!
Old 11-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #9
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Nope... for now it doesn't seem to work and I'm stuck before even using it.
The installer fails with this log:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 6.28.1
ERRORE: Installazione del Plugin fallita: Si è verificato un problema durante l'installazione di questo plugin. Il plugin sarà ora disinstallato. Per favore, riporta il messaggio di errore che segue nella discussione del forum relativa al plugin e riavvia calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/dialogs/plugin_updater.py", line 728, in _install_clicked
plugin = add_plugin(zip_path)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 513, in add_plugin
plugin = load_plugin(path_to_zip_file)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 64, in load_plugin
return loader.load(path_to_zip_file)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 306, in load
m = importlib.import_module(plugin_module)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib64/python3.12/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1381, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1354, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1325, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 929, in _load_unlocked
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 205, in exec_module
exec(compiled, module.__dict__)
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 6, in <module>
import imp
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'imp'

I still have to figure how to make it then "see" the previewer, since I doubt that an installation on wine (done) can be seen as default path, but for now it doesn't even get installed...

I'm not an expert, for now I just saw that imp is a deprecated module since python 3.4 (I'm running 3.12), replaced by importlib, but I am not sure it is enough to replace that import command...
Old 11-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #10
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Nope... for now it doesn't seem to work and I'm stuck before even using it.
The installer fails with this log:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 6.28.1
ERRORE: Installazione del Plugin fallita: Si è verificato un problema durante l'installazione di questo plugin. Il plugin sarà ora disinstallato. Per favore, riporta il messaggio di errore che segue nella discussione del forum relativa al plugin e riavvia calibre.

File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/dialogs/plugin_updater.py", line 728, in _install_clicked
plugin = add_plugin(zip_path)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 513, in add_plugin
plugin = load_plugin(path_to_zip_file)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 64, in load_plugin
return loader.load(path_to_zip_file)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 306, in load
m = importlib.import_module(plugin_module)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib64/python3.12/importlib/__init__.py", line 90, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1381, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1354, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1325, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 929, in _load_unlocked
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 205, in exec_module
exec(compiled, module.__dict__)
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 6, in <module>
import imp
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'imp'

I still have to figure how to make it then "see" the previewer, since I doubt that an installation on wine (done) can be seen as default path, but for now it doesn't even get installed...

I'm not an expert, for now I just saw that imp is a deprecated module since python 3.4 (I'm running 3.12), replaced by importlib, but I am not sure it is enough to replace that import command...
Since the interface for imp and importlib is radically different (and btw, is python 3.12 going to break the plugin as well, or only its install script?), I installed python 3.11.6 in my linux host and used alternative to make it the default. Python --version shows 3.11.6 in my terminal, that is also the version I have in my windows box... yet the plugin installation in Calibre fails with the same error (module imp unknown)
Old 11-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

I suggest you try using the official binary Linux build of calibre and see if it works with that.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #12
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
I suggest you try using the official binary Linux build of calibre and see if it works with that.
Yay. That works! So funny. I was not using flatpacks or anything, but yes I was using the rpm in Fedora repository (which btw installs calibre 6.28.1).
When I removed it, as you know it left my library and settings there, so when I re-installed calibre from the "official" version via:

Code:
sudo -v && wget --no-check-certificate -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
and launched via command line, I found all previously installed plugins.
Went aehad installing KFX output and... it worked!

But I didn't stop playing, I wanted to see if it was only the installer script, so I uninstalled via calibre-uninstall and reinstalled from Fedora repository: nothing: all plugins there, but if I checked KFX output, it was not listed as installed...

I removed the Fedora installed calibre, re-run "official" installation and upon launching, the KFX output plugin is there, shining bright.

I'm very puzzled: it seems to be setting there the whole time, but only showing with the official calibre.

I don't know if it is because "official calibre", to quote Kovid in download page, "calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its dependencies", or because newer version is actually 6.29.0 (so newer than Fedora repository).
I would expect the rpm file would bring the "private versions" if they are bundled by the calibre installer, but who knows...

I am waiting to see if rpm version works once Fedora gets a new round of updates for calibre.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #13
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Btw, on the loading KFX plugin in Linux, I tried to convert a book that on Windows took 18 seconds to complete.

The KFX output plugin in Linux fails after 2 minutes and 23 seconds. Why it took so long to fail? If it couldn't find the Kindle previewer, which would have been fair enough, I would have expected a much earlier crash, isn't it?
Old 11-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #14
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Spoiler:
Converti libro 1 di 1 (La cena)
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/ADLIBRIS_NO.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/ADLIBRIS_SE.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/ANOBII.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/AZW Output.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/Anobii Fetcher.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/INMONDADORI.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/KoboBooks.zip'
Failed to initialize plugin: '/home/marco/.config/calibre/plugins/MondoUrania.zip'
DeDRM v7.2.1: Trying to decrypt jns74z5r.epub
DeDRM v7.2.1: Verifying zip archive integrity
DeDRM v7.2.1: “jns74z5r.epub” is neither an Adobe Adept nor a Barnes & Noble encrypted ePub
Running file type plugin DeDRM failed with traceback:
File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 187, in _run_filetype_plugins
File "calibre_plugins.dedrm.__init__", line 644, in run
decrypted_ebook = self.ePubDecrypt(path_to_ebook)
File "calibre_plugins.dedrm.__init__", line 420, in ePubDecrypt
raise DeDRMError("{0} v{1}: Couldn't decrypt after {2:.1f} seconds. DRM free perhaps?".format(PLUGIN_NAME, PLUGIN_VERSION,time.time()-self.starttime))
calibre_plugins.dedrm.DeDRMError: DeDRM v7.2.1: Couldn't decrypt after 0.1 seconds. DRM free perhaps?
Conversion options changed from defaults:
cover: '/tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/yu89pqft.jpeg'
show_kpr_logs: True
verbose: 2
read_metadata_from_opf: '/tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/qd763hd1.opf'
approximate_pages: True
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 6.29.0
{'approximate_pages': True,
'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'cde_type_pdoc': False,
'change_justification': 'original',
'chapter': "//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., "
"'\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|p rologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', "
"'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': 'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': '/tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/yu89pqft.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'enable_timeout': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'filter_css': '',
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x7fbcb0be7e50>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'number_of_pages_field': '(auto)',
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.OutputProfile object at 0x7fbcb0be6b60>,
'page_breaks_before': '/',
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'quality_report': False,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': '/tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/qd763hd1.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': '',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'show_kpr_logs': True,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'transform_css_rules': '[]',
'transform_html_rules': '[]',
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
DeDRM v7.2.1: Trying to decrypt jns74z5r.epub
DeDRM v7.2.1: Verifying zip archive integrity
DeDRM v7.2.1: “jns74z5r.epub” is neither an Adobe Adept nor a Barnes & Noble encrypted ePub
Running file type plugin DeDRM failed with traceback:
File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 187, in _run_filetype_plugins
File "calibre_plugins.dedrm.__init__", line 644, in run
decrypted_ebook = self.ePubDecrypt(path_to_ebook)
File "calibre_plugins.dedrm.__init__", line 420, in ePubDecrypt
raise DeDRMError("{0} v{1}: Couldn't decrypt after {2:.1f} seconds. DRM free perhaps?".format(PLUGIN_NAME, PLUGIN_VERSION,time.time()-self.starttime))
calibre_plugins.dedrm.DeDRMError: DeDRM v7.2.1: Couldn't decrypt after 0.0 seconds. DRM free perhaps?
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/jns74z5r.epub
Found HTML cover OEBPS/Text/coverpage.xhtml
Parsing all content...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0003.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0008.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0012.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0019.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0023.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0027.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0031.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0034.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0038.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0042.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0050.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/content0004.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0016.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0046.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0054.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/coverpage.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0005.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0009.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0014.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0020.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0024.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0028.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/content0003.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0035.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0039.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0051.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0015.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0047.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0055.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0043.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0002.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/content0002.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0006.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0010.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0021.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0025.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0029.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0032.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0036.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0040.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0052.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0048.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0018.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0044.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0007.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0011.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0022.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0026.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0030.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0033.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0037.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0041.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0045.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0049.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0017.xhtml ...
Parsing OEBPS/Styles/style001.css ...
Parsing OEBPS/Text/Section0053.xhtml ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Found 8 items of level: div_1
Found 539 items of level: p_1
div_1 left margin stats: Counter()
div_1 right margin stats: Counter()
p_1 left margin stats: Counter({'0': 539})
p_1 right margin stats: Counter({'0': 539})
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming 'OEBPS/Text/coverpage.xhtml' from manifest
Trimming 'OEBPS/Images/jpg' from manifest
Creating KFX Output...
Software versions: KFX Output 2.3.1, calibre 6.29, Linux-6.5.11-300.fc39.x86_64-x86_64-with-glibc2.38
KFX Output plugin help is available at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272407
Splitting markup on page breaks and flow limits, if any...
Successfully converted input format to EPUB
Converting /tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/xmyqcxrc.epub
Converting /tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/xmyqcxrc.epub to KPF
Preparing book /tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/xmyqcxrc.epub for conversion
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0053.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0007.xhtml
Added display:inline to 2 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0004.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0052.xhtml
Added display:inline to 5 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0006.xhtml
Added display:inline to 2 br in OEBPS/Text/content0002.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0002.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0043.xhtml
Added display:inline to 3 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0055.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0047.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0015.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/content0003.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0024.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0005.xhtml
Added display:inline to 3 br in OEBPS/Text/Section0054.xhtml
Added display:inline to 1 br in OEBPS/Text/content0004.xhtml
Launching Kindle Previewer 3 (unknown_32592384) - CLI
002c:fixme:winediag:loader_init wine-staging 8.19 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:loader_init Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0080:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005
00a4:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
00a4:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
00a4:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
011c:err:winediag:ntlm_check_version ntlm_auth was not found. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
011c:err:ntlm:ntlm_LsaApInitializePackage no NTLM support, expect problems
011c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
011c:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0128:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (000000000000010C, 00007FFFFFBBFDD8, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 50) semi-stub
011c:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
013c:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
013c:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."
013c:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to create a window.
013c:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
013c:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
012c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0170:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
01c8:fixme:icacls:main This is dummy icacls, not performing ACL manipulations
01c8:fixme:icacls:main stub: "C:\\windows\\system32\\icacls.exe" "C:\\ProgramData\\Oracle\\Java\\.oracle_jre_us age" "/grant" "everyoneOI)(CI)M"
016c:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC886910) stub
016c:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8A2630) stub
016c:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8D5D20) stub
016c:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFFB9FB670) stub
016c:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (000000007B6CF010) stub
0154:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
01dc:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
01dc:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
020c:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (008BFEA4 00000000): stub
Unknown conversion error occurred -- Retrying
0240:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0240:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
0240:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
0254:err:winediag:ntlm_check_version ntlm_auth was not found. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0254:err:ntlm:ntlm_LsaApInitializePackage no NTLM support, expect problems
0254:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0254:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0260:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (0000000000000110, 00007FFFFFBBFDD8, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 50) semi-stub
0254:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0274:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0274:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."
0274:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to create a window.
0274:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
0274:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
0264:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
02a4:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
02a0:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC886910) stub
02a0:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8A2630) stub
02a0:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8D5D20) stub
02a0:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8EB670) stub
02a0:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (000000007B6CF010) stub
028c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0300:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0300:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0330:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (008BFEA4 00000000): stub
0364:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0364:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
0364:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
0378:err:winediag:ntlm_check_version ntlm_auth was not found. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0378:err:ntlm:ntlm_LsaApInitializePackage no NTLM support, expect problems
0378:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0378:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0384:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (0000000000000110, 00007FFFFFBBFDD8, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 50) semi-stub
0378:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0398:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0398:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."
0398:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to create a window.
0398:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
0398:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
0388:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
03c8:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
03c4:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC886910) stub
03c4:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8A2630) stub
03c4:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8D5D20) stub
03c4:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8EB670) stub
03c4:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (000000007B6CF010) stub
03b0:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0424:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0424:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0450:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0450:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0458:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (008BFEA4 00000000): stub
0488:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0488:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
0488:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
049c:err:winediag:ntlm_check_version ntlm_auth was not found. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
049c:err:ntlm:ntlm_LsaApInitializePackage no NTLM support, expect problems
049c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
049c:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
04a8:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (0000000000000108, 00007FFFFFBBFDD8, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 50) semi-stub
049c:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
04bc:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
04bc:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."
04bc:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to create a window.
04bc:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
04bc:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
04ac:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
04ec:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
04e8:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC886910) stub
04e8:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8A2630) stub
04e8:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8D5D20) stub
04e8:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8EB670) stub
04e8:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (000000007B6CF010) stub
04d4:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0548:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0548:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0574:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0574:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
057c:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (008BFEA4 00000000): stub
05b0:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
05b0:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
05b0:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
05c4:err:winediag:ntlm_check_version ntlm_auth was not found. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
05c4:err:ntlm:ntlm_LsaApInitializePackage no NTLM support, expect problems
05c4:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
05c4:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
05d0:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (0000000000000110, 00007FFFFFBBFDD8, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 50) semi-stub
05c4:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
05e4:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
05e4:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."
05e4:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to create a window.
05e4:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
05e4:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
05d4:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0614:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0610:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC886910) stub
0610:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8A2630) stub
0610:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8D5D20) stub
0610:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8EB670) stub
0610:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (000000007B6CF010) stub
05fc:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0670:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0670:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
069c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
069c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
06a4:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (008BFEA4 00000000): stub
06d4:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
06d4:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."
06d4:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
06e8:err:winediag:ntlm_check_version ntlm_auth was not found. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
06e8:err:ntlm:ntlm_LsaApInitializePackage no NTLM support, expect problems
06e8:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
06e8:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
06f4:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (000000000000010C, 00007FFFFFBBFDD8, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 50) semi-stub
06e8:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0708:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0708:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly."
0708:err:d3d:wined3d_caps_gl_ctx_create Failed to create a window.
0708:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
0708:err:d3d:wined3d_adapter_gl_init Failed to get a GL context for adapter 00007FFFFE804580.
06f8:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0738:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0734:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC886910) stub
0734:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8A2630) stub
0734:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8D5D20) stub
0734:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (00006FFFEC8EB670) stub
0734:fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (000000007B6CF010) stub
0720:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0794:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
0794:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
07c4:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (008BFEA4 00000000): stub

****************** Conversion Failure Reason *****************
Conversion failed

************** Kindle Previewer Conversion Logs **************
Conversion failed

=============================== CLI environment ===============================

platform: Linux-6.5.11-300.fc39.x86_64-x86_64-with-glibc2.38, architecture: ('64bit', 'ELF'), locale: UTF-8
program_path: /home/marco/mieapp/prefix/dosdevices/c://users//marco//AppData//Local//Amazon//Kindle Previewer 3
cwd: /tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/y3n73hio/gvhla814ooxz3zhjljg1/0005
argv:
/usr/bin/wine64
/home/marco/mieapp/prefix/dosdevices/c://users//marco//AppData//Local//Amazon//Kindle Previewer 3/Kindle Previewer 3.exe
/tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/y3n73hio/gvhla814ooxz3zhjljg1/xmyqcxrc.epub
-convert
-locale
en
-output
/tmp/calibre_6.29.0_tmp_dyhtf_r2/y3n73hio/gvhla814ooxz3zhjljg1/0005
environment:
HOME = /home/marco
LOGNAME = marco
PATH = /home/marco/.local/bin:/home/marco/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
SHELL = /bin/bash
USER = marco
USERNAME = marco

=============================== Summary_Log.csv ===============================

"Book Name","Enhanced Typesetting Status","Conversion Status","Error Count","Quality Issue Count","Output File Path","Log File Path","Quality Report Path"
"xmyqcxrc","Not Supported","Error","0","0","","Z:\tmp\calibre_6.29 .0_tmp_dyhtf_r2\y3n73hio\gvhla814ooxz3zhjljg1\0005 \Logs\xmyqcxrc_log.csv",""

=============================== xmyqcxrc_log.csv ===============================

"Error: This error will block the book from publishing. The error needs to be fixed in order to publish."
"Notice: This issue will not block the book from publishing and can be safely ignored as there will be no impact."
"Type","Description","Source File","Line Number","Text Preceding Warning or Error","Recommended Fix"

File "runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 47, in <module>
File "site.py", line 43, in main
File "calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 215, in main
File "calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 38, in gui_convert_override
File "calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1281, in run
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 219, in convert
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 310, in convert_using_previewer
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 360, in report_failure
calibre.ebooks.conversion.ConversionUserFeedBack: {"msg": "<b>Cannot convert La cena</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Conversion failed", "level": "error", "det_msg": "", "title": "KFX conversion failed"}

I can see that it can find the correct kindle previewer instance, and it is able to launch it, only to receive many errors due to the fact that the previewer is not able to open a window, and I know that this is expected (though I've never seen a windows opening on my Windows desktop)...

How can I tweak it into using Kindle Previewer CLI instead?
Old 11-11-2023, 06:02 PM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Btw, on the loading KFX plugin in Linux, I tried to convert a book that on Windows took 18 seconds to complete.

The KFX output plugin in Linux fails after 2 minutes and 23 seconds. Why it took so long to fail? If it couldn't find the Kindle previewer, which would have been fair enough, I would have expected a much earlier crash, isn't it?
The conversion log in the next post shows that the Kindle Previewer failed unexpectedly. When that happens the plugin retries five times before the failure is reported, so each attempt took around twenty seconds.

Quote:
I can see that it can find the correct kindle previewer instance, and it is able to launch it, only to receive many errors due to the fact that the previewer is not able to open a window, and I know that this is expected (though I've never seen a windows opening on my Windows desktop)...

How can I tweak it into using Kindle Previewer CLI instead?
The plugin is invoking the Previewer via the CLI. I do not know what is causing the attempts to open a window. It is clearly not running very well under Wine on your system.