Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Sony or Nook Touch
Sony 73 60.83%
Nook Touch 47 39.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #91
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Aww, this is a fun topic and I guess we all become passionate about our ereaders. I gave my 350 to my sister in anticipation of buying the Nook Touch and then I tried it out in the store and the screen didn't seem that much bigger then I remembered the 350 being and it looked like the bottom third was dedicated to BN trying to sell you books from their store. That's probably changeable, but it was a bit of a turn off. Maybe that's the shelves people with Nooks refer to?

The device felt nice in the hand and the page turns were quick and I liked that it had a TI processor(what can I say, I live less than 5 minutes from several TI facilities :-)), but when I thought about the features, I realized I wanted to listen to music while I listen to books without having to use a second device.

Much of my reading is done on the porch in the evening and it gets hot here and my phone is overclocked and overheats and becomes unstable pretty easily so it would be best not to bring it out into the heat. That and it had a bigger screen reliable pdf reflow(no idea if the NT had it since they didn't have a test pdf loaded into the one at the store.) and doesn't restrict side-loaded books in any way.

Sure it costs $60 more and I had to order it from another BB, but I still haven't got a call that the NT I reserved is available and keep forgetting to call them to cancel it. Must get on that some time.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #92
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Comparison between Nook touch and prs350

spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #93
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Nice review. Thanks Spellbanisher.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #94
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Even the little one has lot of more features than the Nook.

Did you realize he said nothing about the fast page turns. I think to omit to have to talk about the gosthing it effects.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #95
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
and is a $100 more. with less screen real estate. So if you will never use half of the features, which most general readers don't, then yeah you spend more money to get less screen and no wireless downloading. Wooo Hooo
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #96
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 350 sells for $109
Old 06-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #97
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The 350 sells for $109
yeah when you find it on sale or a clearance, That's not it's retail price
Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #98
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

They even sell it on Amazon.com for this price, so it seems pretty easy to get.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #99
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Size doesn't matter!
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #100
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Size doesn't matter!
Yeah, its the Mantra of the smaller build guys, I know
Old 06-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #101
boswd
Banned

Quote:
They even sell it on Amazon.com for this price, so it seems pretty easy to get.
The cheapest one they have on Aamzon is $159 which is still more expensive and no wireless and small screen.

I don't know about in Europe but in the US Sony does nothing to market their readers, nor do they try to be competitive. It could be different in your part of the world but here they are a distant 3rd behind the nook and kindle.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #102
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The cheapest one they have on Aamzon is $159 which is still more expensive and no wireless and small screen.

I don't know about in Europe but in the US Sony does nothing to market their readers, nor do they try to be competitive. It could be different in your part of the world but here they are a distant 3rd behind the nook and kindle.
Well....
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #103
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Thanks to spellbanisher for the video link.

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to the main site for this review -

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/

Folks will also want to check out the other videos for the Nook and Sonys and the 'first-look' info about the new Kobo. (just click on the main navigation button links on the left for B&N Nook, Sony, Kobo, etc.)

I have found the reviews to be objective and accurate, though the pace of his videos is pretty quick, so you may have to go through them a few times to catch everything.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #104
boswd
Banned

Quote:
yeah see price in cart $156. thats still more expensive.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #105
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

*sighs* There is about, how many?, 6000 miles between me and the stores in the US. All I know is everyone in the Sony forums tells they bought it either for $109 or $119. Do you want to tell me, they are a bunch of liars?