Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Screenshots are saved to the /documents folder, not the root.
Thanks for the correction - I confess, I didn't connect the Kindle to confirm, and, obviously, my memory is cr*p
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Is it a "pdr" file? There is one there, with only 1KB......

Can't open it tho.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay....in portrait mode the entire page is shown, but type is small. Clicking on the pics will show clarity better.
Great, I think that's readable..
Thanks everyone for the help, especially grandma.

Sorry to trouble you again.. can you try that screenshot (Alt+Shift+G) ?
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawater View Post
Great, I think that's readable..
Thanks everyone for the help, especially grandma.

Sorry to trouble you again.. can you try that screenshot (Alt+Shift+G) ?
Yeah...........as soon as I can figure it out!! Again, screen shots are new to me.

But I'll get it......
Old 09-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
As seen on a KDXG

Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Here are some screenshots from some of my PDFs, where I've cropped the headers/footers/margins.

59861: from PDF formatted for a 7"x9" page size
59862 & 59863: from PDF documentation formatted for 8-1/2"x11" page size

I find all of these readable in my 6" Kindle's fit-to-screen/portrait mode, though sometimes I prefer fit-to-width/landscape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59861.gif
Views:	540
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	58358   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59862.gif
Views:	476
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	58359   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59863.gif
Views:	496
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	58360  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
aquawater
Enthusiast

Looks great in KDXG, very readable.

@tomsem: That's a very nice screen guide.. First two screen are readable.
But I think the third screen is a little bit small, no ? still readable for you?
Apple Developer guidelines has many pages.. will it not strain your eyes reading it for long time at that small text?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Looks great in KDXG, very readable.

@tomsem: That's a very nice screen guide.. First two screen are readable.
But I think the third screen is a little bit small, no ? still readable for you?
Apple Developer guidelines has many pages.. will it not strain your eyes reading it for long time at that small text?
I have good reading glasses, and can switch to landscape to make it 40% larger.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
aquawater
Enthusiast

@tomsen: Could you try to load PDF from this site, and post screen shot of page 10 and 11.. please.. that's the last bit that I wanna confirm.

http://apress.com/book/downloadfile/4284
Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #25
sysreq
sysreq began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Backup Option

Although not ideal if you already have the PDF, but, I checked and the book you mention "jQuery in Action" is available at Safari Books Online. They claim that their books are readable on the kindle with mobi as an option (kindle 3 browser not supported yet).

I'm keeping this in the back pocket as an option to test with the 10-15 day trial if I have issues with the pdfs I want to use
sysreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Dang. Posted on the wrong thread.

@aquawater...finally got a screenshot of page 7 here. #29

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98975
Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #27
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
@tomsen: Could you try to load PDF from this site, and post screen shot of page 10 and 11.. please.. that's the last bit that I wanna confirm.

Here is page 10, 11 portrait mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-59525.gif
Views:	237
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	58392   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59526.gif
Views:	220
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	58393  
Old 09-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Well, if the whole book is like the sample chapter you would HAVE to crop it - theirs includes print crop marks, which are not very useful:

This is where I'd normally expect the cropping for screen display:
..59883 & ..59884

and where I would crop them for a small display:
..59885 & ..59886

The same cropping in landscape:
..59887, ..59888, ..59889

Note that if the book is password protected/DRMed you may not be able to crop it (depending on the tool that you use for this).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-59881.gif
Views:	182
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	58401   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59883.gif
Views:	181
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	58402   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59884.gif
Views:	182
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	58403   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59885.gif
Views:	184
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	58404   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59886.gif
Views:	174
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	58405   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59887.gif
Views:	187
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	58406   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59888.gif
Views:	204
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	58407   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59889.gif
Views:	188
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	58408  
Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #29
aquawater
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, sysreq. But that's not the only book that I want to read.
Grandma, thanks for the screen. Karma added.

Tomsen, you are the best.. you even crop the pdf. Thanks for the effort. I am more than convinced to get Kindle 3 now.
I love this forum - the most helpful forum ever.