Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
Reading PDF's - what's the point :(

I bought Sony Reader to not only read books, but also to use it with with abundant reports I get for my job. They all are in PDF format & they have to stay in the format they were published, can not crop them/half them, etc. After 3 days of trying to adjust different spex, using Rast, exporting from Acrobat to Word, RTF, Txt, etc, my conclusion is PDF is useless . What a disappointment. So the rethorical question, why Sony ever bothered? if it would be lrf only, my level of expectation would not be there, but its multiformat.....

So for those who have time, what about converting pdf's to jpeg? anyone tried? I will do some conversions today & see the outcome.

cheers
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why can't you edit a copy of the PDF files to fit on the Sony? In fact, why can't you generate a seperate copy that's formatted for the Sony's screen size?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Arek_W
Connoisseur

well, good Q, but what soft & how would you set it up. I have all the Adobe soft, been playing with file optimization, quality, tried to improve fonts size....
So bottom line, u mean conversion from A4 and its size to Sony size?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony Reader's screen size is 90mm by 120mm or 3.54330 inches by 4.72440 inches.

Just setup your page size to be that and when you print,m you'll get a PDF formatted for the Sony's screen.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Arek_W
Connoisseur

will try & revert, but for now is the BBQ time & good beer so later
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek_W View Post
will try & revert, but for now is the BBQ time & good beer so later
Have fun. And please let us know how your PDFs work out.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Arek_W
Connoisseur

well, the BBQ was short (was too curious to see the result . So ther result is zero, quality got a bit better, but its the font size, its sharpness and it greyscale color which still makes it useless. It did use ScanSoft Professional4 soft and driver, changed paper size to 90x120, used highest quality output specs, no downsampling, etc,etc. Print it to file and "denada" still need magnifying glasses to see it :/. I am running the file now with changed page size through RasterFarian and will see the end result.
It really boils down to quality & sharpness of the pdf font .
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Arek_W
Connoisseur

ok, so the result after RastaFarian is somehow satisfactory, except the fonts got somehow, what's the expression?, eaten up. U know like when u enlarge the font they are not solid any more . Does ony one know how to:
1. enlarge fonts in pdf's & make them bold in original document (what soft should be used?)
and than If I apply paper size reduction + RastaFarian I think the result will be satisfactory.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Arek_W
Connoisseur

and if this is not possible, what other format (jpeg?) would retain structure & layout to view those files?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Can you make the font larger in order to see it better?

Another thing to try is making each page again smaller so when the reader fills the screen it will be larger.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
Arek_W
Connoisseur

u mean on the reader? the moment I go from standard size to larger fonts, fonts become fuzzy, u know like they are chipped.

I am attaching 2 reports as a sample (they are interesting ones for those who deal with oil/energy market as I do -> call it added value for being a ebook user . U can see a difference immidiately. I followed paper size reduction + Rastafarian process.

I was wondering if there is a soft which could increase fonts within original PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf MedTerm Oil Market Report 2007.lrf (2.30 MB, 271 views)
File Type: pdf IEA MEDIUM-TERM OMR July 2007.pdf (1.88 MB, 580 views)

Last edited by Arek_W; 07-14-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The PDF you posted made from MS Word is listed as 8.26" x 11.69" -- way to large to be read on the Reader. The LRF was, as you said, almost unreadable. It looked like a report that had been copied too many times on the office copier or something from a bad fax.

What I have done in the past is (as JSWolf has pointed out) made special PDFs for the Reader. It is a bit more than just setting the Acrobat output, you need to change the page size in Word for the entire document to 90mm x 120mm. Then you can reset your base font to 9 pt (as most like it) or 10 pt (as I like.)

You may also want to checkout libprs500. If you save the Word file as HTML and use the html2lrf command line program it may generate what you are looking for.

Good luck.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The PDF you posted made from MS Word is listed as 8.26" x 11.69"
Which is called "A4" by everyone in the world outside the USA .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
Arek_W
Connoisseur

RWOOD - well i am at loss here. The report is an original one sent to me as PDF, than as per previous post, I have shrunk the page from A4 to 90/120, and did Rastafarian. That's all.
I did try to work from PDF to Word, but the output is, i mean text is in the boxes therefore when I select all, and than rework the font the document gets very messy indeed. If I go box by box would take me hours & dont feel like doing it.

So for now, I gave up on PDF's and back to cellulose base . I just hope someone with the wits & knowledge will be able to come up with another PDF's solution or maybe SONY will improve :?

Regarding libprs500, I get problems with coexistance together with Sony's Connect soft. Make long story short, I am back to Connect.

So for now, converting all my *.lit books to *.lrf's and quite happy with the result. & most of all enjoying books & quality of print
Thx for the help anyway.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek_W View Post
...I have shrunk the page from A4 to 90/120, and did Rastafarian.
I think I may see the problem here, try running a file through Rasterfarian without shrinking it.

Rasterfarian takes Letter/A4 pages and converts them to two chunks, top and bottom of each original page. Then you can see the original file at something approaching the right size, just in two pieces, and it should be a lot more readable ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote