Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Forgetting how to read

Came across this and found it interesting https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ign=pockethits

I hope this never happens to me
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
We don't "forget" how to read, we give that skill up on an unconscious level. It's like any other skill. Use it or lose it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think this is more than just being out of practice. The heavy use of smart phones for tracking disjointed series of data bits seems to be rewiring the brain so that reading for extended periods becomes more difficult.

Last edited by rkomar; 02-18-2018 at 04:33 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
How can you forget how to read? I see losing interest in books and not reading for long periods but forgetting? I was a big reader as a kid then somehow during my high school, college and most of my adult years I simply stopped completely. I went for 25 years never picking up a single book then I bought my first ereader and been reading ever since
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
How can you forget how to read? I see losing interest in books and not reading for long periods but forgetting? I was a big reader as a kid then somehow during my high school, college and most of my adult years I simply stopped completely. I went for 25 years never picking up a single book then I bought my first ereader and been reading ever since
Just like riding a bicycle. You never forget how
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The article talks about forgetting how to focus for long enough to read a chapter of a book.

I recently heard(read?) that our ability to focus for extended periods naturally decreases with age which if true would be part of the reason for the author of the article to have lost the ability to sit down and read a chapter. Of course the other reason would be lack of practice.

I know that I've become more likely to just read a chapter and then switch to something else then when I was younger. I'm still capable of reading a standard length book in less then a day on the few days I can afford the time spent.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Came across this and found it interesting https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ign=pockethits

I hope this never happens to me
Audiobooks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I blame the cat, who stomps all over my bod and head butts my K4
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Maybe kitty just wants you to share the K4?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I agree that he used the wrong terminology, "forgetting" to read doesn't apply here, it's not being able to focus as already said.

Fortunately I don't have that problem, even as computer-dependent I am about most things. But when I get in a cozy chair, or in the nicer weather in a nice recliner outdoors, I can sit for hours and read. I usually have my cell phone with me just in case of an important call (more so I don't have to get up if anyone dares to interrupt me), but I'm never tempted to put the book down and pick up the phone.

Maybe the author just needs to find a more interesting book to read to be able to focus. And read someplace where he can get away from the other distractions that might be tempting him.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
The article talks about forgetting how to focus for long enough to read a chapter of a book.

I recently heard(read?) that our ability to focus for extended periods naturally decreases with age which if true would be part of the reason for the author of the article to have lost the ability to sit down and read a chapter. Of course the other reason would be lack of practice.

I know that I've become more likely to just read a chapter and then switch to something else then when I was younger. I'm still capable of reading a standard length book in less then a day on the few days I can afford the time spent.
I can NEVER focus unless its a very short chapter. I always stop and start over and over lol That's why i like audible companions. i can stop reading switch to listening and do what ever i need to do. Must be my old age. LOL
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or starts chewing the corner of it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #13
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I have experienced this, and it was awful: while I was on chemo, it was basically impossible to concentrate on a book. I managed to read some short stories, but it was a struggle. Focus was only for a few minutes max. So a whole year wasted while I “could have read” it was a very strange experience - I am normally always reading, the back of a milk carton of nothing else is handy.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
What the article is describing - difficulty focussing - as opposed to the headline - I was imagining someone with a head injury! - is something I experience.

It's age-related in that I have noticed it since my mid-forties and didn't used to be true. The two specific symptoms are that I forget details of what I've read more quickly. I can't put down a book for more than a few days. Second is that sense of "losing yourself" in the world of the book rarely happens any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Audiobooks
On their own they are worse for me. I can 'hear' the book but be thinking about something else and then either have to rewind or I miss stuff. But I get frustrated if I am rewinding a lot.

What I do find them good for is that I sometimes like to read and listen at the same time* and I find that helps me focus more. Although that means you tend to get the reader's interpretation of certain passages. For example, in dialogue, inflection on certain words etc.

*Amazon please take note. I have an Oasis 2 and I'd like to be able to read and listen, like I can with your apps, not just either/or!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #15
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I have experienced this, and it was awful: while I was on chemo, it was basically impossible to concentrate on a book. I managed to read some short stories, but it was a struggle. Focus was only for a few minutes max. So a whole year wasted while I “could have read” it was a very strange experience - I am normally always reading, the back of a milk carton of nothing else is handy.
I had a similar experience when my depression was bad (it's much better now). This is separate to the general decline in my focussing ability described above. I found I could read about 5-10mins max.

I hope you're better by the way.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote