Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #31
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
You can even use calibre ebook editor to search for a character you like:
Open the ebook editor, click on insert special character and use the search bar. When it is inserted, copy the character and copy it in you column.

Or you can select the star you want in my first post, left click, copy and paste where you want

*And I'm not using a special font, stars and books for exemple are included in windows font by default
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
Or you can select the star you want in my first post, left click, copy and paste where you want
Why did some of the symbols you included in post 17, show up as '�'s when the OP quoted your post?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #33
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Why did some of the symbols you included in post 17, show up as '�'s when the OP quoted your post?

BR
That's a mystery of the computer world!
It might be the forum process the text when quoting and only recognize some specials characters? I don't really know!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #34
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The stars and so on are unicode characters or html entities. I don't know them by heart, I usually search in google "unicode star" or something like that.
Did that and found this webpage

http://xahlee.info/comp/unicode_stars.html

Sorry to be thick lol.. But this is all new to me
But how do I save them and where do I put them?
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #35
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
If all you want is a star or a book icon, you could use text instead for better performance:
Create a column but choose text with a fixed set of values.
Then you can define which characters are allowed, and which color (see image)

star characters :⋆⍟★☆✪⭐������������
book characters :������������
(they may not look the same in calibre since it's only text it will depend of the font used)
I decided to try this
All new to me the characters. But I did a bit of research and found the character map where I found and saved a few there.
I followed your instructions from the clips you uploaded here. (Text but with a fixed ...)Strangely it worked and I had a gold star?
But I could not find a way to make it go if I wanted to
Unlike the yes/no columns I did before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	161835  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:24 AM   #36
Nicolas F
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
I decided to try this
All new to me the characters. But I did a bit of research and found the character map where I found and saved a few there.
I followed your instructions from the clips you uploaded here. (Text but with a fixed ...)Strangely it worked and I had a gold star?
But I could not find a way to make it go if I wanted to
Unlike the yes/no columns I did before.
To make it go away, you click on the value and select the blank line (in blue on the screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	column.png
Views:	133
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	161859  
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #37
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
To make it go away, you click on the value and select the blank line (in blue on the screenshot)
Thanks. Was thinking it was the same as a Y/N and there were 2 alternatives.

My main problem, was that the lovely icons I added on Y/N column are very slow to load.

15 secs or more for just one.

So was thinking of testing a character I found instead, for a Y/N column to see if it worked faster.
However is that possible? Don't they have to be pngs?

Last edited by Jo69; 01-27-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #38
Nicolas F
Groupie

Quote:
Thanks. Was thinking it was the same as a Y/N and there were 2 alternatives.

My main problem, was that the lovely icons I added on Y/N column are very slow to load.

15 secs or more for just one.

So was thinking of testing a character I found instead, for a Y/N column to see if it worked faster.
However is that possible? Don't they have to be pngs?
If it's a character it's like wanting to use the letter A instead of an image, you can't do that.
I think you have everything you need, several alternatives with advantages and drawback. So I will let you choose what you think is best for you!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #39
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Nor am I.

But I think you have to find a font with characters you want and make that the calibre interface font, and then copy paste from the font manager into a fixed set of values column definition, or figure out the key sequence (Alt+something I guess) and type them in.

Hopefully Nicolas can give you precise instructions.

BR
Sounds a bit complicated to me But like most things it often isn't if explained , maybe with pictures lol:
Old 02-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds a bit complicated to me But like most things it often isn't if explained , maybe with pictures lol:
In my opinion it is complicated. Firstly, you have to cut and paste the specific symbol you want from the configured calibre interface font as seen in a font-viewer (or know the unicode value's key sequence - e.g. Alt+Numeric Pad 1234). Secondly, I don't know what would happen if you changed the calibre interface font in Preferences->Look and Feel to a font that didn't have the symbol. Thirdly, the symbol might not render in every place you might want to see it, such as in a book-jacket or on the calibre server pages. As in the case where you quoted Nicholas F's post earlier in the thread.

I'm wondering if the performance hit you were suffering is due to the fact that you attached an icon to a Yes/No column, which already has symbolic representations for Yes and No in the form of a of green tick and a red cross . So try this:
  • Create a custom column of type "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values", and make the allowable values 'Yea' and 'Nay' (or something similar)
  • Attach an icon using the png image you want to see for 'Yea'.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-02-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 AM   #41
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
In my opinion it is complicated. Firstly, you have to cut and paste the specific symbol you want from the configured calibre interface font as seen in a font-viewer (or know the unicode value's key sequence - e.g. Alt+Numeric Pad 1234). Secondly, I don't know what would happen if you changed the calibre interface font in Preferences->Look and Feel to a font that didn't have the symbol. Thirdly, the symbol might not render in every place you might want to see it, such as in a book-jacket or on the calibre server pages. As in the case where you quoted Nicholas F's post earlier in the thread.

I'm wondering if the performance hit you were suffering is due to the fact that you attached an icon to a Yes/No column, which already has symbolic representations for Yes and No in the form of a of green tick and a red cross . So try this:
  • Create a custom column of type "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values", and make the allowable values 'Yea' and 'Nay' (or something similar)
  • Attach an icon using the png image you want to see for 'Yea'.
BR
Thanks. Yes it does sound complicated lol
Will try that thanks.

Just found this also -- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203422

Last edited by Jo69; 02-09-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #42
Jo69
Addict

Tried what you said Better read
I created a column called test.
But there is no option in the list for column is true.
That I had to do with the normal Yes/No columns I have already created
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibre.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	162146  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Jo69 - I'm not sure what you did, so I'll spell out what I was suggesting i detail. Firstly create a column like this:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	162147

Then set up your column icon rules, like this:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	162148

Your custom column would have a name such "have_read/Have Read", and you probably don't need an icon for 'N' or Undefined.

Why am I suggesting you try this ? Its a long shot, but . . . attaching an icon to a Yes/No column is a bit oddball - it already has icons, the green tick and the red cross. So, I'm wondering if overriding those icons is what's making it slow on your system.

BR
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #44
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
@Jo69 - I'm not sure what you did, so I'll spell out what I was suggesting i detail. Firstly create a column like this:

Attachment 162147

Then set up your column icon rules, like this:

Attachment 162148

Your custom column would have a name such "have_read/Have Read", and you probably don't need an icon for 'N' or Undefined.

Why am I suggesting you try this ? Its a long shot, but . . . attaching an icon to a Yes/No column is a bit oddball - it already has icons, the green tick and the red cross. So, I'm wondering if overriding those icons is what's making it slow on your system.

BR
And its getting slower lol.
It is the icons on the read and loved Y/N columns I have created that are so slow.
But still want to call the columns that. Not My Yes/No
Old 02-17-2018, 06:08 AM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

You can call the columns whatever you like: 'loved' and 'read', 'war' and 'peace', 'simon' and 'garfunkel', 'batman' and 'robin'.

All I am suggesting is that their type should 'Text with a fixed set of values' (rather 'Yes/No') with permissible values as 'Y, N'. Then if value is 'Y' apply the desired icon. This way you're not replacing a pre-defined symbol with an icon.

I have no idea if this will be faster - if I were a betting man, I would say probably not, but I thought it was worth a shot.

BR