Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Android people, I need help with this app...

How do I get this onto the fire?

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

http://www.kingston.com/support/Wi-D...droid_Beta.pdf

I'd like to use the Wi-Drive as an extra drive for storage of content. I looked in the Amazon appstore but it's not there yet. How do I side load this?

Thanks!!
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
taoofpu2
Enthusiast
taoofpu2 is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad mini 4, iPad 3
I checked 9 of the other app sites and don't see wi-drive anywhere. Once it shows up there we could give this drive a try. Looks it might be a good solution for those of us concerned about not having a physical SD card reader.
taoofpu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
If you have an Android phone and can download it from the Android Market then check out this thread to sideload it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157358&page=2

You can also download the App here with less hassle:

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...27731894407230

Select Download Now.

This is a legitimate and safe site. I have downloaded many free Apps from here with no problem. There App servers are synced with the Android Market. http://androiddev.orkitra.com/?page_id=254

If you access the download link using your Fire, once you select Download Now you will get a small pop-up in the Notifications bar of the Fire. Touch it and another screen will open. Touch the downloaded App to launch the installation package. No sideloading required. This is a direct download to your Fire.

It's a fairly busy site and sometimes it times out so you may have to touch Download Now again and usually it will download. I downloaded it using my PC, transferred it, and installed it. It runs but I don't have a Wi-Drive to test it. I have attached the App as a zip file to this post in case you run into any problems.

Remember, this App is in Beta (development) stage. However, since it is a Kingston product it probably will run pretty polished. You may have noticed that I'm very curious to know how well this works because I may actually buy one. I see Seagate makes something similar, but it is a little pricey. Although it does offer a lot more storage. Of course Kingston is Flash memory whereas Seagate is a hard drive.

In case anyone else is interested here is an article that discusses these storage devices: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4706/u...flex-satellite

Please let me know how it turns out. If you have any questions about sideloading an App that can't be answered in the thread at the top of this post don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kingston Wi_Drive_v1.0.0.23.zip (605.8 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 03:39 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
taoofpu2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post

I tried searching for "wi-drive" on that site and couldn't find it on my own although I got it fine with the link you gave. I tried lots of combos but I just couldn't find it. What's your secret?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please let me know how it turns out. If you have any questions about sideloading an App that can't be answered in the thread at the top of this post don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.
Thanks obsessed2. I do not have an Android phone so I will have to try method 2.

The wi-drive works flawlessly with my iPad.

I went with it rather than the GoFlex because of the reviews. Technically I'm paying more per Gig, but I figured with the solid reviews and the fact that it's SSD rather than HHD should use less power to run and last longer. For me personally I didn't need 500GB's anyway. I just wanted to be able to take a few extra movies on the road when taking car trips with the kids.

BTW, I did try to load a Mobi file off of the Wi-Drive on my iPad. I got the option to Open In and selected Kindle. Worked perfect.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll report back.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofpu2 View Post
I tried searching for "wi-drive" on that site and couldn't find it on my own although I got it fine with the link you gave. I tried lots of combos but I just couldn't find it. What's your secret?

None, really. I searched for Wi-Drive (no quotation marks) and it came up. However, the site seemed to be running slow this afternoon so it could have been that even though you entered a legitimate search it timed out and returned no results. This is an awesome site for Apps and can be very busy at times. Sometimes it even takes clicking (PC) or touching (tablet) a link a couple of to get it to launch. You just have to be patient and that patience is usually rewarded.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned

Ok, it worked. Downloaded. Side loaded. Installed. Bam, all set. I played a movie from the wi-drive and it worked flawlessly. That will be my primary use, like I said early. For car trips, having some extra movies for the kids to watch.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Ok, it worked. Downloaded. Side loaded. Installed. Bam, all set. I played a movie from the wi-drive and it worked flawlessly. That will be my primary use, like I said early. For car trips, having some extra movies for the kids to watch.

That's awesome. So glad to hear it worked. This means the Wi-Drive can be used to increase the Fire's storage capacity. Not too bad of a price either, I saw it for around $70 for a 16GB model and around $90 for a 32GB model on Amazon. Thank you so much for letting us know that it works. I'm keeping my eye out for one now. Hopefully, I might even find it for a lower price before the years out.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
taoofpu2
Enthusiast

Quote:
None, really. I searched for Wi-Drive (no quotation marks) and it came up. However, the site seemed to be running slow this afternoon so it could have been that even though you entered a legitimate search it timed out and returned no results. This is an awesome site for Apps and can be very busy at times. Sometimes it even takes clicking (PC) or touching (tablet) a link a couple of to get it to launch. You just have to be patient and that patience is usually rewarded.
Thx - finally got through! May go this route too.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
taoofpu2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Great to hear! A good solution for some of us disappointed in no SD card.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
That's awesome. So glad to hear it worked. This means the Wi-Drive can be used to increase the Fire's storage capacity. Not too bad of a price either, I saw it for around $70 for a 16GB model and around $90 for a 32GB model on Amazon. Thank you so much for letting us know that it works. I'm keeping my eye out for one now. Hopefully, I might even find it for a lower price before the years out.
And again thank you.

Yeah keep an eye out on price. I'm sure there will be other versions out there. I think I like the ssd version over HDD because of size, weight, power consumption. And like I said, it's enough for my use. I don't need to have all of my content with me all of the time.

Last edited by monkeyluis; 12-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Thanks to all and wanted to bump this up.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Excellent!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I installed it after using the zip. Failed using normal dl method.
i see if you long press on a file you can send to and one of the options is to send to dropbox

Quote:
If you have an Android phone and can download it from the Android Market then check out this thread to sideload it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...p?t=157358&pag

Select Download Now.

This is a legitimate and safe site. I have downloaded many free Apps from here with no problem. There App servers are synced with the Android Market. http://androiddev.orkitra.com/?page_id=254

If you access the download link using your Fire, once you select Download Now you will get a small pop-up in the Notifications bar of the Fire. Touch it and another screen will open. Touch the downloaded App to launch the installation package. No sideloading required. This is a direct download to your Fire.

It's a fairly busy site and sometimes it times out so you may have to touch Download Now again and usually it will download. I downloaded it using my PC, transferred it, and installed it. It runs but I don't have a Wi-Drive to test it. I have attached the App as a zip file to this post in case you run into any problems.

Remember, this App is in Beta (development) stage. However, since it is a Kingston product it probably will run pretty polished. You may have noticed that I'm very curious to know how well this works because I may actually buy one. I see Seagate makes something similar, but it is a little pricey. Although it does offer a lot more storage. Of course Kingston is Flash memory whereas Seagate is a hard drive.

Last edited by salsaguy; 12-04-2011 at 04:38 PM.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I installed it after using the zip. Failed using normal dl method.
i see if you long press on a file you can send to and one of the options is to send to dropbix

The direct download (Android Developers) is to a site that is often very busy so you may have touch the link a couple of times. This is important to note because a lot of the direct download links throughout this forum are to this website. Eventually it will download, although the zip file is a viable alternative. The Dropbox trick is pretty neat.