Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
can i have *both* syncing across android/kindle paperwhite AND bold/font weight?

Hi:

So I primarily read on my kindle. I use calibre and the KFX output plugin to get weighted fonts there. But I also like the ability to read on my phone and android tablet. I get most of my books from public domain and not from the Amazon ecosystem.

Right now I'm using Moon Reader+ on my phone/tablet and the paperwhite to read.

I also like having the option to do font weighting on paperwhite.

So it seems like my options are:

1) Send all files to my @kindle email. This would achieve syncing across all devices. I could use the kindle official app for my phone/tablet.

BUT, I'd lose the ability to do font weighting along with the cool preview features to find how many pages left in the chapter and page flip etc. I think this is called "enhanced typesetting"?

2) Continue converting via calibre to KFX, I'd get font weighting and page flip/preview features, but I'd lose the ability to sync to my phone/tablet.

----------

Do i have that right? What do you folks do who read on multiple devices? I'm trying to read more on my phone/tablet when I don't have my Kindle as opposed to mindlessly scrolling social media etc.

Last edited by arooni; 01-16-2019 at 05:49 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If you want to read on multiple devices and have your reading position synchronized then I recommend converting to a Master-MOBI produced using Kindle Previewer or a MOBI-both file created using calibre. That can be emailed to your Amazon account and will be delivered to your devices as KF8 (azw3) format.

In that case the font weight setting will be available, but there will be no page numbers and no page flip and your kindle will not show a cover thumbnail image for the book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I sometimes use the Kindle app on my phone and I sometimes use Moon+. I do most of my reading on my Kindle and some on my phone. I also want the same features you want and I've found the way to give up the least is to give up automatic syncing and just do it manually, using text search. Both the Kindle and Moon+ do that easily and gracefully.

I generally remember a short phrase from the page I'm on, usually near the top of the page, at the end of a reading session. I'll find that phrase with a text search on the other device. My current phrase is "I got up at 9:00". If I switch to Moon+ when I start reading I'll do a text search for that. It might be in the book more than once but rarely more than 2 or 3 times and it shows enough context to pick the one I want without much thought. I rarely have to try twice. Almost never.

This is true no matter which way I go. Both Moon+ and the Kindle device handle searches easily. Overall the time spent doing this isn't much more than the time spent syncing, although it does take a bit more effort.

I prefer Moon+ to the Kindle app unless it's a book with a lot of characters and the book has X-Ray. In that situation I'll often use the Kindle app.

By the way, if I ever forget the phrase or get it wrong somehow that's not a problem, either. I just let the Kindle app sync and after it does I pick a phrase and go into Moon+.

I've been doing this for several years and I don't think much about it anymore. I just do it. Automatic syncing is a little nicer, but only a little.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I sometimes use the Kindle app on my phone and I sometimes use Moon+. I do most of my reading on my Kindle and some on my phone. I also want the same features you want and I've found the way to give up the least is to give up automatic syncing and just do it manually, using text search. Both the Kindle and Moon+ do that easily and gracefully.

I generally remember a short phrase from the page I'm on, usually near the top of the page, at the end of a reading session. I'll find that phrase with a text search on the other device. My current phrase is "I got up at 9:00". If I switch to Moon+ when I start reading I'll do a text search for that. It might be in the book more than once but rarely more than 2 or 3 times and it shows enough context to pick the one I want without much thought. I rarely have to try twice. Almost never.

This is true no matter which way I go. Both Moon+ and the Kindle device handle searches easily. Overall the time spent doing this isn't much more than the time spent syncing, although it does take a bit more effort.

I prefer Moon+ to the Kindle app unless it's a book with a lot of characters and the book has X-Ray. In that situation I'll often use the Kindle app.

By the way, if I ever forget the phrase or get it wrong somehow that's not a problem, either. I just let the Kindle app sync and after it does I pick a phrase and go into Moon+.

I've been doing this for several years and I don't think much about it anymore. I just do it. Automatic syncing is a little nicer, but only a little.

Barry

Barry thanks for breaking all this down. I like your approach.
Onee thing I'm confused by is
1) do you convert your books to kfx format using calibre ? And then side load to your Kindle e-reader? Do you use the epub format for moon+ reader ?
2) when you lose your place on your phone you say you open the Kindle app and have it sync and then find your place in moon reader. I guess my question is ... How would the Kindle app on your phone know about the kfx file that you originally side loaded to your Kindle e-reader ? And... How would it know how to sync
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote