Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Is there a maximum size for ebooks?

I've just loaded an ebook whose size is 6.4Mb into iBooks and into Bluefire, and it works well in both readers.

When I try to load the same ebook into Marvin from Dropbox Marvin seems to load the file, and it shows in the library with the cover page and the usual icon showing that it has not been read. But when I touch the cover page Marvin closes, and shows me the home page with the Marvin icon.

I have deleted the file by swiping on the ebook's icon on the Marvin library screen and selecting delete, and have reloaded the ebook from Dropbox again. But it still won't open, and closes Marvin when I try.

What is going on?

Edit: The header should read 'Is there a maximum size for ebooks in Marvin'

Last edited by AlexBell; 12-13-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Reduces ambiguity
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Some ePub readers have maximum sizes for each file in the ebook. If that ebook consists of just a few (or one!) very large XHTML file, it's possible that some readers will fail to render it. The Sony eReaders used to have problems with XHTML files bigger then 300KB, IIRC.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Santa

No, it isn't that. The ebook is made up of about forty chapters/sections, and most of it's size comes from from the very many images it contains. It also has around 800 endnotes. And it works perfectly well on my Sony and on my Kindle Keyboard, and fairly well on my old Kobo Touch.

I think it must be a Marvin related problem - the ebook works perfectly well in iBooks, and loads and runs in Bluefire, though Bluefire cannot handle the endnote links.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard

Update: I've just loaded a 16 Mb Delphic Classic ebook from Dropbox into Marvin, and it works with no problem. So it isn't file size which is preventing the 6.3Mb ebook from working. But the ebook which won't work in Marvin does work in iBooks and my other ereaders.

I haven't the slightest idea where to go from here.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Open the book with calibre editor and run the checkbook on it, to see if there's some syntax problems?

Or contact the Marvin author directly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Run it thru the ePub validated at http://validator.idpf.org/
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both.

@PDurant: The ebook validates with Epub.checker.com. I've never used the calibre checkbook, but I could try to learn how to do it. If calibre says there are problems and the idpf say there are not, what then? I thought the way to contact the author was through this forum, but I'll send him a private message as well
Old 12-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I would make a test: create a new book without the images and load it with Marvin. If it doesn't work, create another one without the links to the endnotes and try again.

This way, you will know if the problem is with the images, the endnotes or none of them.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
See the "Reporting bugs" sticky thread.

I think I read somewhere that kguil was working on a major rebuild of Marvin. I suppose that's why he hasn't been around lately.

Last edited by BenG; 12-19-2014 at 12:36 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
See the "Reporting bugs" sticky thread.

I think I read somewhere that kguil was working on a major rebuild of Marvin. I suppose that's why he hasn't been around lately.
Thanks, Ben

I missed the sticky - and I'm under some time pressure to do the next ebook. I'll try again in the New Year.