Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #106
pierre7
pierre7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1c0d3 View Post
Working great with latest 5.16.1. But I noticed the book wouldn't keep its book cover when showing up on Kindle. Is there any way to get around this?
Maybe it's not that, but amazon delete cover for books that are not from the store. To get the cover back, simply reconnect your kindle to your computer with calibre launched, calibre will automatically get the cover back
pierre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #107
mallomar
Enthusiast
mallomar began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Lightbulb X-Ray on MacOS like X-Ray Creator Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
v3.0.0: create X-Ray file on Linux and Windows. Requires python3(using pip3 to download numpy).

X-Ray entities are created by nltk's ne_chunk().

This feature doesn't support macOS because numpy(required by nltk) has some .so files can't pass library validation unless they are signed by the same key of calibre.
Just came across your plugin by chance in that it's the most recently updated plugin in Calibre when I went to search for a different plugin. Got really excited until I saw the X-Ray feature doesn't work on MacOS. Any chance you could possibly reverse engineer X-Ray Creator to see how it was able to work with Calibre on MacOS? It hasn't been updated in over two years so it doesn't work with Calibre 5 and the author said he's not updating it anymore. The X-Ray creation feature worked well for me and now that I can no longer use the plugin I've come to realize how many Amazon books don't have X-Ray enabled.
mallomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #108
xxyzz
Evangelist
xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallomar View Post
Any chance you could possibly reverse engineer X-Ray Creator to see how it was able to work with Calibre on MacOS
If you use an older version macOS which doesn't have library validation(more information here and here) then you can use the x-ray feature. You can also use the plugin on Linux.

All calibre plugins are open sourced, so there is no need to reverse engineer them. X-Ray Creator uses Goodreads API to get data but Goodreads closed their API last year. If you really want to use this feature please try the above two methods.

Last edited by xxyzz; 04-26-2021 at 09:50 PM.
xxyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #109
mallomar
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you use an older version macOS which doesn't have library validation(more information here and here) then you can use the x-ray feature. You can also use the plugin on Linux.

All calibre plugins are open sourced, so there is no need to reverse engineer them. X-Ray Creator uses Goodreads API to get data but Goodreads closed their API last year. If you really want to use this feature please try the above two methods.
Thanks for the quick response. I’m going to try to disable Gatekeeper, at least for Calibre. I agree with you and Kovid that Apple’s restrictions are shitty (I jailbroke my iPhone for years). Also really shitty of Amazon to shut down Goodread’s API. Both of these seem like examples of corporations making needlessly restrictive choices against their user’s best interest because no one will hold their feet to the fire. I can run Linux through Parallels or Virtual Box or something, as I currently run Windows for work, but I’d rather not have to open up a whole virtual system every time I open Calibre, so hopefully the first option works. Thanks again and hopefully I can get this to work!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:25 PM   #110
un1c0d3
un1c0d3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW3
Quote:
Hi, I just uploaded v3.6.5. I'm not sure whether I use the calibre API correctly but it should be fine, the upload book code is really complicated. Note that if you connect your Kindle to WIFI that's very likely Amazon will try to download an invalid cover as mentioned here.

v3.6.5 uses calibre's API to scale the cover to Kindle's cover size. Hope it will solve your problem.
Yeah I found out later from reading the other thread, that it was Amazon retreiving metadata and replaced the cover for new books. Calibre would resolve this problem automatically when reconnect the Kindle via USB, as someone said above. I have updated WordDumb to 3.6.5 and it was the same behaviour. It was not an issue created by your plugin though.

Another thing I noticed was in your GitHub README.md it was written that "Make sure the book has only one supported format.". Does this mean if a book in my Calibre library has EPUB MOBI AZW3 formats, I have to manually delete either MOBI or AZW3 for WordDumb to work?
un1c0d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2021, 11:40 PM   #111
xxyzz
Evangelist
xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1c0d3 View Post
Does this mean if a book in my Calibre library has EPUB MOBI AZW3 formats, I have to manually delete either MOBI or AZW3 for WordDumb to work?
The plugin should work just fine but it may not send the format that you want. For example, you want the azw3 book but it can send the mobi file, it depends which book it finds first.

v3.6.6 will use the formats in the order of KFX, AZW3, MOBI. So you can keep both books but WordDumb will always use the AZW3 book.

Last edited by xxyzz; 04-29-2021 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #112
xxyzz
Evangelist

Quote:
I’m going to try to disable Gatekeeper
Don't forget to enable x-ray in the plugin setting. Just find this post about gatekeeper 0day on hackernews this morning. Stupid Apple.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #113
mallomar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Don't forget to enable x-ray in the plugin setting. Just find this post about gatekeeper 0day on hackernews this morning. Stupid Apple.
Thanks for the article. Thankfully I'm on the latest build of MacOS.

So, I can't get this to work. I enabled X-Ray in WordDumb, closed Calibre, then downloaded and reinstalled Calibre, ran the commands in Terminal to disable Gatekeeper in a single application in the article on GitHub you had linked and X-Ray still failed immediately in WordDumb. Then closed Calibre, followed the article to disable Gatekeeper system wide, reopened Calibre & tried again but the same results. I know Gatekeeper is disabled because under System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General it shows this, versus this when it is on, which according to articles is a how you can tell. So maybe Gatekeeper isn't the problem? But not sure what else it would be, as it fails immediately on multiple ebooks.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #114
xxyzz
Evangelist

Quote:
So maybe Gatekeeper isn't the problem?
Try this command:

Code:
$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true
Maybe you don't need to disable gatekeeper.

Nah, that command alone still get the code sign error. Maybe gatekeeper should be disabled.

Damn, it's useless. I'll never mess around with Apple's crap again.

Last edited by xxyzz; 04-27-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:36 AM   #115
xxyzz
Evangelist

v3.6.6

- upgrade nltk to 3.6.2
- prefer book formats in the order of KFX, AZW3 then MOBI
- fetch ASIN from book header instead of calibre db
Old 04-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #116
mallomar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Try this command:

Code:
$ sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true
Maybe you don't need to disable gatekeeper.

Nah, that command alone still get the code sign error. Maybe gatekeeper should be disabled.

Damn, it's useless. I'll never mess around with Apple's crap again.
Still a no go even after executing this command with gatekeeper disabled. Oh well. Thanks for the help, though!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #117
xxyzz
Evangelist

v3.6.7: fix x-ray terms count number
Old 05-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #118
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

I've just installed worddumb plugin on Calibre. It's not working.

Code:
Starting job: Generating Word Wise for ___
Job: "___" failed with error: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
  File "calibre_plugins.worddumb.parse_job", line 18, in do_job
  File "calibre_plugins.worddumb.unzip", line 34, in install_libs
  File "calibre_plugins.worddumb.unzip", line 79, in pip_install
  File "subprocess.py", line 359, in check_call
  File "subprocess.py", line 340, in call
  File "subprocess.py", line 854, in __init__
  File "subprocess.py", line 1307, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
The version is 3.6.7, on Windows 10.

I've read somewhere that there's a .exe file, I couldn't find it anywhere.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #119
xxyzz
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
I've just installed worddumb plugin on Calibre. It's not working.
Have you followed the steps in README?
Old 05-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #120
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Have you followed the steps in README?
My mistake. Looks like i forgot to install python.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
worddumb, x-ray