Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #541
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
@hamers: There's no gossip about future models, but Kobo tends to have only one model at each screen size, so I'd wager that the Kobo Clara HD is THE six-inch Kobo for the next year at least, and probably two years.
agreed i don't expect another new 6 inch Kobo anytime soon. maybe a Kobo Mini Edition 2 with the Comfort Light Pro will be next and then the set will be complete.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #542
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
That would be very useful to see, thanks. Or even better... do one side-by-side picture with the Clara on the left AND another with the Clara on the right so we can compensate for any lighting unevenness.
Here I put it on my Flickr account to avoid the file size limitations of this forum.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzKemwe

I put them in my light box (I use it for taking photos of my origami models) which has a light on either side. I also put them on my bed with the window shining straight in (top of the photo). That is also where I showed what the frontlights look like.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #543
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, thanks for that. The 'chin' of the Clara makes it look much bigger than it actually is.
Yes, you're right. I was afraid of that till I got it.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #544
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I kept the Clara HD in the middle but changed the positions of the Aura One and H2O Ed. 2. With different exposures on the camera, changing lighting conditions I think you can tell that the H2O is dark, and the other two are fine with the light off.

Also of interest is what happens with the light. My favorite color temp is three clicks from 0, I have a picture of that along with 0 (leftmost setting).
Old 06-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #545
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Here I put it on my Flickr account to avoid the file size limitations of this forum.

I put them in my light box (I use it for taking photos of my origami models) which has a light on either side. I also put them on my bed with the window shining straight in (top of the photo). That is also where I showed what the frontlights look like.
Nice one. They are really useful photos. Clearest I've seen so far of the Clara HD screen.

And it looks to be a very nice screen. It's definitely avoided the darkness issue of the H2O E2. On a par with the Aura One. Text looks nice and dark.

I think the 300 dpi, the natural light and the weight should make it a decent upgrade from the Aura E2.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #546
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
agreed i don't expect another new 6 inch Kobo anytime soon. maybe a Kobo Mini Edition 2 with the Comfort Light Pro will be next and then the set will be complete.
I'd expect that the next device will be a refresh or replacement of the Aura ONE. It will be 2 years old later this year. An update then would make sense, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see anything more this year and the update happens at this time next year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #547
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Very nice. Pretty much the best set of photos of ereaders I've seen to allow comparing the screens.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #548
darthyoda6
Connoisseur
darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen, Kindle 7th Gen
Quote:

Which model is which? (left to right)
darthyoda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #549
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthyoda6 View Post
Which model is which? (left to right)
"Left to right" doesn't make sense to me, I interchanged the order between pictures to defeat tricks of the light. Go ahead and look again and you'll see that.

By size instead:
6 in = Kobo Clara HD
7 in = Kobo Aura H2O Ed. 2
8 in = Kobo Aura One
Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #550
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Left to right" doesn't make sense to me, I interchanged the order between pictures to defeat tricks of the light. Go ahead and look again and you'll see that.

By size instead:
6 in = Kobo Clara HD
7 in = Kobo Aura H2O Ed. 2
8 in = Kobo Aura One
like others have already said they are very good clear photos and i agree with them they are. it would have been nice to see a photo of all 3 devices at the maximum orange light setting. please don't take this as a hint just an observation

edit. to clarify i meant a photo of the maximum (dark) orange light settings not the light orange.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 06-14-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #551
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I'm a bit disappointed that the ClaraHD doesn't have Overdrive support. I have a couple of 64 GB GloHDs, and I have issues copying library books over to them with Adobe Digital Editions and CloudLibrary. If one of them ever breaks, I'd definitely replace it was the ClaraHD, but I'm not sure that the natural lighting is enough for to replace a perfectly good GloHD.

One thing I've always wondered is whether our readers phone home with device stats so they can see how many of the GloHD and other readers have been upgraded with additional memory, and how full they are. I hope so, if it will encourage them to keep making easily upgradable readers.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #552
haydnfan
Guru

I'll post a pic with the comfort lights maximized, I didn't realize there was an interest in that. So very orange.

Last edited by haydnfan; 06-15-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #553
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that the ClaraHD doesn't have Overdrive support.
A thousand times yes, this is a colossal mistake! Overdrive support should not be a step up feature for the Aura One. As it is people that are serious about overdrive support are just going to buy a Kindle instead because it is much easier.

This didn't stop me because my local library offers 90% YA for their digital checkouts. Good grief.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #554
haydnfan
Guru

It is posted (follow the original link). Here is a smaller version (which fits the guidelines because it does no exceed 600 pixels in either dimension):

Max Comfort Light by David Whitbeck, on Flickr

As you see the Aura One is almost red. The H2O is orange. And the Clara HD is the whitest, very warm of neutral but not orange. You can also the light bleed on the Clara HD.

Last edited by haydnfan; 06-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #555
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
It is posted (follow the original link). Here is a smaller version (which fits the guidelines because it does no exceed 600 pixels in either dimension):

Max Comfort Light by David Whitbeck, on Flickr

As you see the Aura One is almost red. The H2O is orange. And the Clara HD is the whitest, very warm of neutral but not orange. You can also the light bleed on the Clara HD.
thank you that's much appreciated. another excellent photo all 3 look pretty good to me. even the Clara HD's slight light bleed is very minimal. personally i think the colouring on the H2O E2 looks best closely followed by the Clara HD and then the KA1.

your photo clearly shows that the Clara HD is definitely a step up and some compared to the Aura Edition 2.

thanks again

best wishes koboy