Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #466
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question and it's hard to draw conclusions about Collections and sorting with only 4 books on the device. However, 3 of the books are in the same Collection (Thriller), same Series, same Author.

For every Collection there is a line stored in the Kobo eReader.conf file e.g.
Code:
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Thriller%29=sortByAuthor()
If I use the GUI to sort this Collection by Title the conf entry seems to change correctly to
Code:
LastLibrarySorter_shelf_filterByBookshelf%28Thriller%29=sortByTitle()
which means it gets remembered.
Yes that's what I meant, thank you! I must have messed up the config file permissions or something when it wouldn't remember the sort order for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Until Kobo fixes this, a workaround is to use calibre and my Kobo Utilities plugin. The "Update metadata in device library" can set the date added to one of the dates in the library. This will set the __SyncTime in the correct format.
Yay, thank you! (And now I have to decide whether to let my Nova update and use this workaround, or to just stick to the factory firmware... I wonder what changed in 4.8.11090...)

Quote:
Another way would be to write a database trigger to use the correct format when the books are first added. It shouldn't be to hard, so I'll leave it as an exercise for someone
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #467
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
Summary of SDHC card / memory increase (so far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I partitioned as one.
Thanks again for the information. Lets see if I can summarize so far, in case others are interested in expanding the Clara's memory:
  • The OEM internal microsd card is 4GB, but the Kobo Clara can "see" 64GB or more.
  • To increase the Clara's storage, the 4GB card must be cloned [copied to] to the larger card (thus transferring the firmware).
  • Although Kobo recommends FAT32 formatting of the SDHC card, cards in the range of 64GB and above can use exFAT.
  • The larger card should have a single partition.

If I have made any errors in my summary, please correct them!

Additional information:
  • The Clara can be opened by carefully "splitting" the top and bottom portions, as shown in earlier photos. When done, the halves can be snapped together.
  • Class 10 cards have been used, because they have much higher speed capabilities than lower classes. However, the maximum transfer rate is determined by the device.
  • When purchasing the larger card, be careful - counterfeit cards are quite numerous. Purchase from a reputable dealer.
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #468
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I doesn't matters if you update before or after cloning because with Kobo update it does not stick. Meaning if you do a hard reset it will go back to the original OS at the time you bought the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Is it best to clone the SD card before the initial update?
Can you also take a picture of inside back cover please? I am curious how it looks directly opposite the battery.

Thank you very much.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #469
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
Thanks again for the information. Lets see if I can summarize so far, in case others are interested in expanding the Clara's memory:
  • The OEM internal microsd card is 4GB, but the Kobo Clara can "see" 64GB or more.
  • To increase the Clara's storage, the 4GB card must be cloned [copied to] to the larger card (thus transferring the firmware).
  • Although Kobo recommends FAT32 formatting of the SDHC card, cards in the range of 64GB and above can use exFAT.

Additional information:
  • The Clara can be opened by carefully "splitting" the top and bottom portions, as shown in earlier photos. When done, the halves can be snapped together.
  • Class 10 cards have been used, because they have much higher speed capabilities than lower classes. However, the maximum transfer rate is determined by the device.
  • When purchasing the larger card, be careful - counterfeit cards are quite numerous. Purchase from a reputable dealer.
Minor nits: The original internal uSD card is 8GB not 4GB and I would recommend using CrystalDiskMark or similar to check the card speed before installing it. Class 10 cards are basically optimized for large file transfers and the small block read/write speeds can be rather pathetic. Again, SanDisk and Samsung seem to be consistently best at those small block numbers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #470
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Whoever designed the sleepcover deserves the golden medal for the yearly award of bookly designs. Honestly I have never seen a worse sleepcover. Opens from the top - which kind of "book" opens from the top? Also why place the stupid magnetic binder at the bottom right over the charging slot and make us unable to charge with the cover closed?

Last edited by Majorix; 06-08-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #471
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
If you're looking to document all this then you might want to add what software to use to clone and repartition. Here are a couple of free apps I use.

Cloning: https://download.cnet.com/USB-Image-...-75449768.html

Re-partitioning: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html

Also try to avoid the term copy because people might confuse the term cloning with copy and paste. It does not work that way.

Quote:

Additional information:
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #472
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It seems to work for me now too. The only complication is that now we can't download 4.8.10956 for the kobo7 devices anymore as it had the same link. I'll remove 4.8.10956 from my firmware downloader for kobo7 devices (it also needs to be removed from the wiki), and I'll add the Clara later today.

The link for 4.8.10956 mark 7 is still working.

Last edited by oren64; 06-08-2018 at 02:42 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #473
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
    As mentioned by DNSB, it's 8GB. It can definitely see more than 8GB. The Glo HD has been tested working with up to 128GB so at the very least, I expect that to work with the Clara HD, too. The 256GB might work but those kinda cost as much as the Clara.
    Do note, it's not a simple file copy operation. The reason the term "cloning" is used is because the entire card structure needs to be duplicated.
    Nope. I don't think Kobo firmware even supports exFAT (Microsoft patent/license?). However, FAT32 definitely supports higher than 32GB. You just need to install different software to either format or expand the FAT32 data partition. Not like you can use the built-in Windows formatter to format in the first place. That would kill the partition which stores the the Kobo firmware. Heck, Windows reports the card as corrupt or missing a file system when you plug it in with a card reader.
    Nope. I believe there's like 3-4 partitions post-clone. The 3 I know for sure are: OS/firmware, recovery and data.

Additional information:
    The reason Class 10 cards are often used is because all consumer 64GB+ cards are at least Class 10. Even 32GB, I don't think they make in Class 4/6 anymore. Doesn't mean all Class 10 cards are good for running Kobo firmware. That just means minimum sequential write is 10MB/s (good for taking videos or large images). The 4K random write can still be crap. SanDisk and Samsung have good 4K random write and are the recommended brands for Kobo SD card upgrades.
Corrections in red.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #474
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nits: The original internal uSD card is 8GB not 4GB and I would recommend using CrystalDiskMark or similar to check the card speed before installing it. Class 10 cards are basically optimized for large file transfers and the small block read/write speeds can be rather pathetic. Again, SanDisk and Samsung seem to be consistently best at those small block numbers.
Arg. Yes, on all counts.
Blame my 4GB error on insufficient caffeine in my system

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #475
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Corrections in red.
Thanks for the clarifiations! My lack of caffeine caused the 4GB error. The rest of your post indeed may help understanding
Old 06-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #476
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
The link for 4.8.10956 mark 7 is still working.
Yes, but extract it and run the grep command I posted in #407 and you'll see that it downloads the Clara firmware 4.8.11090 instead.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #477
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I've read a bit on the Clara HD now. I didn't want to post a review or even full impressions just important things that might not have been said before.

* Before it arrived I thought that it might be thick, but it is actually about the same thickness as the Kindle Voyage.
* I thought that the bezel might be too narrow to grip properly. But the size and shape of the Clara HD matches the Aura Ed. 2 excepting the thickness and the rounded edges at the bottom. I've had no real problem holding this model, and the curved edges fit nicely in the palm of my hand.
* I've had problems with previous Kobo models and responsiveness. The Glo and the Aura HD were just a bit slow (moderately annoying). The Glo HD and the Aura H2O (both editions) would occasionally not register a press (only slightly annoying). The Aura Ed. 2 has an imprecise touch (very annoying). But the Clara HD is as fast and precise at turning pages, opening and closing options and menus as a Kindle.
* The contrast is noticeably better than the Aura Ed. 2 and the H2O Ed. 2.
* There is significantly less ghosting and uneven boldness of font prior to refreshing as compared to all previous Kobo models including the One. Again as good as a Kindle.

In my opinion this is the second best Kobo model, with the best being the Aura One. But I have never owned the original Aura.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #478
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I've read a bit on the Clara HD now. I didn't want to post a review or even full impressions just important things that might not have been said before.

* Before it arrived I thought that it might be thick, but it is actually about the same thickness as the Kindle Voyage.
* I thought that the bezel might be too narrow to grip properly. But the size and shape of the Clara HD matches the Aura Ed. 2 excepting the thickness and the rounded edges at the bottom. I've had no real problem holding this model, and the curved edges fit nicely in the palm of my hand.
* I've had problems with previous Kobo models and responsiveness. The Glo and the Aura HD were just a bit slow (moderately annoying). The Glo HD and the Aura H2O (both editions) would occasionally not register a press (only slightly annoying). The Aura Ed. 2 has an imprecise touch (very annoying). But the Clara HD is as fast and precise at turning pages, opening and closing options and menus as a Kindle.
* The contrast is noticeably better than the Aura Ed. 2 and the H2O Ed. 2.
* There is significantly less ghosting and uneven boldness of font prior to refreshing as compared to all previous Kobo models including the One. Again as good as a Kindle.

In my opinion this is the second best Kobo model, with the best being the Aura One. But I have never owned the original Aura.
Thanks for the insights! They're really helpful. Or maybe not since now I'm strongly tempted to spend the $250 for Clara HD + 256GB uSD.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #479
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
Whoever designed the sleepcover deserves the golden medal for the yearly award of bookly designs. Honestly I have never seen a worse sleepcover. Opens from the top - which kind of "book" opens from the top? Also why place the stupid magnetic binder at the bottom right over the charging slot and make us unable to charge with the cover closed?
Waiting on third party covers. This thing is damn slippery to hold though.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #480
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
I'm also not a fan of the design of the sleepcover and for the first time did not order one. The previous Kobo sleepcovers I consider to be the best designed out of all first party sleepcovers (Kindle, Kobo, Nook).

But the golden medal certainly goes to the Oasis 2 cover. It is so poorly designed that Amazon was flooded with bad reviews and discontinued it.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote