Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
alabrand
alabrand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My Kobo goes into a bootloop!

I have a huge problem with my Kobo Aura H2O. Every single time I delete a large amount of files on it via my computer and then disconnect it to let it resync, it goes into a bootloop and the only way to fix this is to do a manual factory reset.

Small files, like epubs are okay. But large files, like 10 volumes of Spiderman comic books, make it go into a bootloop.

I have the latest firmware installed.
alabrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, can you check the actual firmware version number and post that. Far to often people state they have the latest firmware installed and they don't.

I don't know what is happening, so I need more information:
  • What format are these books? epub, CBZ, CBR or something else?
  • How big is large? Both in file size and number of pages.
  • How many books are you deleting? My first guess is 10, but, the "volumes" might not refer to a single book.
  • What happens if you delete only one book?
  • What happens if you delete the book through the Kobo interface?
  • Is there much space available on the device?
  • What is displayed during the boot loop?
  • What is displayed after disconnecting from the PC and before the reboots start?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
alabrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, can you check the actual firmware version number and post that. Far to often people state they have the latest firmware installed and they don't.

I don't know what is happening, so I need more information:
  • What format are these books? epub, CBZ, CBR or something else?
  • How big is large? Both in file size and number of pages.
  • How many books are you deleting? My first guess is 10, but, the "volumes" might not refer to a single book.
  • What happens if you delete only one book?
  • What happens if you delete the book through the Kobo interface?
  • Is there much space available on the device?
  • What is displayed during the boot loop?
  • What is displayed after disconnecting from the PC and before the reboots start?

The firmware version is 3.19.5761.

The format is .cbr and .cbz. The number of pages are the standard for comic books and the file size is usually over 100mb. I'm often deleting things when I'm done reading them, so it's often around 500mb-1gb in total. If I only delete one book then it doesn't go into a bootloop, but obviously that will take too long. If I delete the book on the Kobo itself then it also doesn't go into a bootloop. There is a lot of space available on the reader. I have a Micro SD card that is 32gb.

The bootloop itself is like this:

- I delete the files I have finished reading from my computer
- I disconnect the device and let it sync itself so that it deletes the files
- The device never syncs itself and instead jumps straight to the homepage where you can see all the files are still there (they're deleted, the reader just shows them for some reason)
- I can't press anything and the reader doesn't read any of my finger taps
- It quickly reboots itself automatically
- When it is rebooted it goes directly to the homepage and I still can't press anything
- After this it keeps rebooting, going to homepage, rebooting, going to homepage, rebooting, going to homepage etc.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, I am not a comic reader and I have no idea what the standard page count is. But, each page in a CBR or CBZ gets a separate entry in the database. If the average is only 10 pages, then it probably isn't an issue. If it's 100+, then it is probably the total number of database records being removed that is the problem.

The books on the home screen are displayed based on entries in the database. These entries should be deleted when the firmware discovers the books are no longer there. Have you tried dismissing the books from the home screen before doing the delete? That's not ideal, but it might help, and eliminate a possibility.

When it displays the home screen, does it reboot when you try to do something? Or does it reboot if you just leave it alone.

I forgot before, how are you doing the delete? I assume just from the OS. Have you tried calibre? It should delete the books without an issue.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
alabrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, I am not a comic reader and I have no idea what the standard page count is. But, each page in a CBR or CBZ gets a separate entry in the database. If the average is only 10 pages, then it probably isn't an issue. If it's 100+, then it is probably the total number of database records being removed that is the problem.

The books on the home screen are displayed based on entries in the database. These entries should be deleted when the firmware discovers the books are no longer there. Have you tried dismissing the books from the home screen before doing the delete? That's not ideal, but it might help, and eliminate a possibility.

When it displays the home screen, does it reboot when you try to do something? Or does it reboot if you just leave it alone.

I forgot before, how are you doing the delete? I assume just from the OS. Have you tried calibre? It should delete the books without an issue.

When the home screen is displayed, the Kobo Aura H2O automatically reboots itself. I can't touch it because it doesn't register my input. It reboots whether I want it to or not.

I am deleting the files in Windows 10.
Advert