Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
gevaisa
gevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aura HD
Should I be upgrading my Aura HD's firmware?

Hi everybody! I'm looking for some advice about whether I need to keep up with the firmware upgrades for the Aura HD.

I bought mine when it first came out and have never upgraded the firmware. It still works perfectly but I think I only use really basic functions - I have all my books on an SD card, sideload books using Calibre and never connect it to wifi. It's a bit sluggish sometimes but that seems to go with putting a lot of books on there (>4000).

Thanks very much!
gevaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
What firmware version is currently on your device right now? You can look under Settings -› Device Information.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevaisa View Post
Hi everybody! I'm looking for some advice about whether I need to keep up with the firmware upgrades for the Aura HD.

I bought mine when it first came out and have never upgraded the firmware. It still works perfectly but I think I only use really basic functions - I have all my books on an SD card, sideload books using Calibre and never connect it to wifi. It's a bit sluggish sometimes but that seems to go with putting a lot of books on there (>4000).

Thanks very much!
I held off a number of the "upgrades" because of problems or incompatibilities they introduced, but it is looking like 3.5.0 is very stable and not producing any ill effects, for me. But, I don't use the stock Kobo reading software, or the Nickel User Interface. I have ~7000 ebooks, in various formats (mostly epub or pdb) in a "hidden" folder on the external uSD card. I use tshering's great "Kobo Start Menu" and read with Koreader.

I can't imagine living with Kobo's database management of a large library such as both of us have. Since you use calibre to add books to your device, you might be interested in the new Search feature just added to Koreader (by one of our fellow MR posters, WS64) it searches the "calibre.metadata" file and returns a listing of ebooks with matching metadata.

An install guide.

The WiKi install page.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
gevaisa
gevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura aboutgevaisa has a spectacular aura about

hleo12, I'm using 2.5.1 version of the software. I'm pretty sure it's the version it came with.

Ken, thanks for the recommendation but I think your setup might be too advanced for me - I'm not too knowledgeable about technology!

Sorry for the dopey question but if I don't update the firmware on the Aura HD, am I damaging it? Will it break earlier?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The programs that need updates to protect themselves are those that are exposed to outside input, for the most part, with you not using the WiFi feature, that should not be an issue. Updating unexposed programs/devices is to correct problems with the original software or to enable new features. For your device and use, you should have the functioning and usefulness that you have now, for as long as you want with your current firmware. It would not be damaged or break, just because of using the firmware that is working for you now.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
gevaisa

Phew! I feel so much better now. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the golden rule is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
gevaisa

^This

A question for people who have updated their firmware: is it hard? Did it go smoothly?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevaisa View Post
^This

A question for people who have updated their firmware: is it hard? Did it go smoothly?
Maybe I am in a minority but I come from the school of when an upgrade is offered, take it.

And yes, the process is dead easy.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe I am in a minority but I come from the school of when an upgrade is offered, take it.

And yes, the process is dead easy.

+1 - Yes, same here.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I can take 2 months or more for update to reach every reader that regularly is connected to Kobo servers. Your reader can use wifi connection to sync with Kobo servers, your Kobo connected to your computer running Kobo desktop app to sync with Kobo servers or with computer connected to kobo's website and sync. A month after release of new firmware while reading mobileread posts about latest update should inform if update is safe or might not be ok for your reader yet.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I'm still using 3.1.0 on mine and have no plan upgrading it. My usage is very basic: open the cover, read, close the cover. It works perfectly fine and I'm very pleased with it, I see no reason taking the risk to upgrade it.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I'm still using 3.1.0 on mine and have no plan upgrading it. My usage is very basic: open the cover, read, close the cover. It works perfectly fine and I'm very pleased with it, I see no reason taking the risk to upgrade it.
that's the spirit

in an ideal world the device would present:
1 an option to upgrade, with a change log setting out the benefits/changes
2. a simple option to roll back to previous version

firmware upgrades are not risk free: a power cut at the wrong moment if using USB , or a loss of wi-fi signal at a critical stage can brick a device.. I permanently bricked a netgear router one time & had to bin it , just by attempting a firmware upgrade without carefully disconnecting all other equipment first.

plus there's the inconvenience of being forced to sit thru an upgrade when all you wanted to do was continue reading
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
firmware upgrades are not risk free: a power cut at the wrong moment if using USB , or a loss of wi-fi signal at a critical stage can brick a device.. I permanently bricked a netgear router one time & had to bin it , just by attempting a firmware upgrade without carefully disconnecting all other equipment first.
Those particular factors are not really risk factors for the current Kobo devices. The firmware is downloaded as a file to the internal memory. If that fails, it won't get installed. If there is not enough available space to unpack the files, it won't get installed. If the battery level is not high enough, it won't get installed. Including if it is plugged into a charger at the time. Once the firmware is downloaded, the WiFi is not needed.

Yes, there is risk, but it is not as high as everyone seems to say. From all the over WiFi upgrades I have done on my two Kobos, including all the beta firmware, I have never had it fail.
Quote:
plus there's the inconvenience of being forced to sit thru an upgrade when all you wanted to do was continue reading
That I agree with. They are impolite about when they make you upgrade. Being able to say "remind me later" and still able to sync books would be very good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the golden rule is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
The rule I live by, unless I feel like trying a new feature I have read about. I did update my Aura to the latest, because I was tired of lines being cut off at the bottom on the firmware I had been using (I believe it was 3.3.0). No problems with 3.5.0 (which I side loaded).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote