Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kindle
Lightbulb AutoIt CHM to kindle conversion problem

Hi, Autoit is a fascinating & easy programming language that I'm learning. It comes with a very good & detailed help file in the CHM format (AutoIt.chm, 6.47 MB).

I want to read this file on my Kindle to protect my eyes. I've tried converting the CHM to MOBI format using Calibre but it just hangs (perhaps because of the large file size). Same result with many online conversion sites also. I even tried de-compiling the CHM, deleting the CSS & then converting using Calibre, but it hangs.

Can anyone help me with this conversion? You may download AutoIt.chm from here.

- Thanks!
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use the 64-bit version of Calibre and be patient. Documents with a complex structure can take many, many hours (more than a day is not unknown) to convert. The conversion will finish eventually, either successfully or with an error.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Thanks for the reply Harry. IMHO this message should not have been moved to the Calibre forum because I am open to using *any* tool - as long as it gets the job done. I'm not too enthused by the response.

If any one has the skills then just zip up the htmls as EPUB and then convert to MOBI. The htmls inside the chm are very simple & structured so it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm not in touch or I'd have done it myself! - Thanks
Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyworld View Post
Thanks for the reply Harry. IMHO this message should not have been moved to the Calibre forum because I am open to using *any* tool - as long as it gets the job done. I'm not too enthused by the response.
Did you try my suggestion?
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
geekyworld
Enthusiast

No I didn't. Conversion should not take so long. Kindly move back my thread back to Amazon Kindle. Hopefully someone there may have the requisite skills & experience...
Old 11-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
No I didn't. Conversion should not take so long. Kindly move back my thread back to Amazon Kindle. Hopefully someone there may have the requisite skills & experience...
Tell me, How do you know 'How long it should take"?
Why do you think the creator of Calibre typically answers: "Let it run until i completes or crashes"?

One word: "COMPLEXITY"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Precisely. As I said in post #3 above. Conversion time is almost entirely dependent on complexity, not file size.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not work from the source for the documentation found at https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3...3.14.2-src.zip

I think working from docs/autoit/english/html or docs/autoit/english/WEB_html would be easiest.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Reading the thread so far, is the question you are asking:

Can someone suggest a way to convert this file without using calibre?

If so, then moving the question elsewhere makes sense.

But, if you are actually asking for help in converting the file using calibre, then this is the place and the answer is that given: Give it time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I followed HarryT's advice, the day he provided the advice. It took two tries to convert it to epub using the 64 bit version. It had a span it couldn't split so I had to change the split size from 260k to 1000k in the epub conversion settings. Took about 30 minutes to complete. When the answer is the first suggestion there is no reason to think you needed more guidance.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-13-2017 at 09:10 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoit.chm, calibre, chm, kindle, mobi