Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Calibre Freezes After Pressing Metadata Download

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It was caused by a stupid typo I made. Go to Preferences->Miscellaneous click the Open calibre configuration directory and delete the file metadata-sources-cache.json in that directory. Then restart calibre and you should be fine.
Hi,

I met similar issue with Cal V2.73 and WIN 7 x64.
I used to open "Metadata Modify" window and press the bottom button "Metadata Download".
Metadata Search ran like Swiss cuckoo clock for years.
I did not change any params. And one day this search hangs Calibre. No error message. I have to kill the freezed process.
Strangely, Book cover download was ok.

I updated to 2.79 then 2.80 then 2.82 and the issue was still there.

Right now I found a way to bypass the issue.
Ctrl + D
and I click first left button "Download only Metadata".
It works fine. I manually choose which field to update.

Kill metadata-sources-cache.json does not fix in this case.

Best regards
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm since you observed that behavior in 2.73 and this thread is about a bug in 2.81 -- your issue has nothing to do with it. If the download process is freezing, then it is because something on your somputer, most likely an antivirus program is blocking the calibre worker process.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
reinsley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
...then it is because something on your somputer, most likely an antivirus program is blocking the calibre worker process.

Could you please advise to which .exe to be ignored from antivirus ?

TIA
Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinsley View Post
Could you please advise to which .exe to be ignored from antivirus ?

TIA
The Calibre2 folder

FWIW the calibre installation files are normally A/V scanned when downloaded
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
reinsley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Calibre2 folder
I excluded the whole folder ( WIN 7 x64 and MS Security Essential), reboot, the issue is still there.

I ran a calibre debug mode from a batch.
I ran a calibre debug mode from preferences, in which case a debug file is created and automatically displayed after you quit calibre.
As I freeze the Calibre process, the second one is of poor help.

Both say at the very end line :

C:\Program Files\Calibre2\pylib.zip\dateutil\parser.py:339:
UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal

I think I give up, I can bypass the issue in a smart way from the main menu.

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinsley View Post
I think I give up, I can bypass the issue in a smart way from the main menu.

Thank you for your help.
@reinsley - if you did want to resolve the issue, these FAQ entries would be good places to start

calibre is not starting on Windows?

calibre freezes/crashes occasionally?

In all probability it's some other program - running in Save Mode might verify that. As you've found its not MSE, and I can tell you that won't be - the Windows Search Indexer or the X1 Search Indexer because I run both on my two data drives, MalwareBytes AV either, because I run that without calibre exclusions.

BTW the vast majority of cuckoo clocks come from Germany, most Swiss rightfully treat them with the utmost contempt

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
reinsley
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@reinsley - if you did want to resolve the issue, these FAQ entries would be good places to start

calibre freezes/crashes occasionally?

BTW the vast majority of cuckoo clocks come from Germany, most Swiss rightfully treat them with the utmost contempt

BR

Shame on me, calibre-freezes-crashes-occasionally... link is the good one.
The trap was as described :
The edit metadata window dialog appears on the second monitor where you don’t notice it and so you think calibre has frozen.

I can't imagine how I did not think about it.

And to achieve me I discover that I bought ersatz of cuckoo clock all my life.
Swiss is famous for watchmaking but it is not Black Forest.

Oh dear , it's not my day.

Thank you, BetterRed.