Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
[Kindle] Add page numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Please update your profile to say WHICH model+verson Kindle
They all behave differently in some cases. There may be a setting for your specific model.
I'm having trouble with my current library and my new KPW[Generation10]. All my books are AZW3 and page numbering has always worked fine with both my old KPW [gen 4 and 7 I think].

I tinkered yesterday but can't seem to get it working ie something about checking to see if 'apnx' files are there, which they are, and I checked my settings in Calibre while my Kindle was plugged in, this was what I had/did;
Checked already ‘read metadata’
Checked already ‘use subdirectories’
Save template filled with: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Checked ‘send page numbers’ it was set to ‘fast’ in the submenu
I changed it to ‘accurate’
Both custom column menu were blank – there’s an option here for page column, I added 'Page'
Checked already overwrite existing apnx on device

I'm sort of tech challenged so I really don't know where else to start. Any patient and simple to follow instructions would be most helpful and appreciated!

ETA: at one point I thought I had it working so I deleted my whole library from my Kindle and re-synced. After waiting for it to index it wasn't working again.

Last edited by Blue2u; 01-14-2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: edited to add details
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OMG, I'm so sorry, I went to quote and reply in another thread and accidentally started a new thread. My apologies! [see, I really am tech challenged and having a really bad day, I also just somehow deleted my libraries in Calibre, that's another thread. ugh]
The original thread is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324999
Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Blue2u - it would appear you have violated a cardinal forum rule, see Guideline number 10.

Quote:
10. Duplicate Accounts (Sockpuppeting)

You can have only one account. Duplicate accounts (or sockpuppets) are commonly employed by vandals and bad-faith contributors who create multiple user accounts in an attempt to bias discussions. Sockpuppeting is an offense on MobileRead and will not be tolerated.
I suggest you report yourself to the Admins to ask if they can 'merge' the two accounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-15 091354.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	176396

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Blue2u - it would appear you have violated a cardinal forum rule, see Guideline number 10.

I suggest you report yourself to the Admins to ask if they can 'merge' the two accounts.

Attachment 176396

BR
I don't have 2 accounts!? I've been a member for years. I sincerely don't know what's going on.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Blue2u
Wizard

Anyway, I could still use help with my Kindle not showing page numbers. If somebody could help me I would so much appreciate it. It's been a really bad day tech-wise so I'd really like to get something solved?! lol
Old 01-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Blue2 - in this thread you responded to a post in the other thread which has the same thread title as this thread - that's what made me think the other thread was yours. I have no idea why/how you did that, and I can't find any evidence it was moved by a mod/admin.

Moderator Notice
I'm going to prefix this thread's title with [Kindle]

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Blue2 - in this thread you responded to a post in the other thread which has the same thread title as this thread - that's what made me think the other thread was yours. I have no idea why/how you did that, and I can't find any evidence it was moved by a mod/admin.

I'm going to prefix this thread's title with [Kindle]

BR
As I told you, I'm so tech challenged, I couldn't even begin to guess!
Now if I could just get this solved my day would get even better. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Anyway, I could still use help with my Kindle not showing page numbers. If somebody could help me I would so much appreciate it. It's been a really bad day tech-wise so I'd really like to get something solved?! lol
Is there anything at all being displayed where the page numbers are normally shown? Have you tried tapping that area of the screen? That will toggle between location, page numbers, blank, etc.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #9
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
Is there anything at all being displayed where the page numbers are normally shown? Have you tried tapping that area of the screen? That will toggle between location, page numbers, blank, etc.
First, thank you for your time!
Yes, at the bottom of the screen it just cycles between location, time left in chapter and time left in book. When I go into the options in the book [page display, then reading, the page selection is faded/greyed out.

BTW, if it matters, I side load my books [through Calibre via usb.]
Question, in the custom column section, is it just page or #page? I'm not sure how this stuff works.

Last edited by Blue2u; 01-14-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #10
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless you have your own values in a custom column for page numbers, you should leave those custom column fields blank. Leave your other device page settings as they are in your original post.

Try removing one book from your device from within Calibre:
Select book(s) you want to remove.
Remove books > Remove matching books from device
Eject your device, reconnect device and then add the previously removed book(s).

See if the page numbers work. If not, try restarting your Kindle and try again.

On Kindle:
Menu > Settings > Menu > Restart

Last edited by JimmyR; 01-15-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Unless you have your own values in a custom column for page numbers, you should leave those custom column fields blank. Leave your other device page settings as they are in your original post.

Try removing one book from your device from within Calibre:
Select book(s) you want to remove.
Remove books > Remove matching books from device
Eject your device, reconnect device and then add the previously removed book(s).

See if the page numbers work. If not, try restarting your Kindle and try again.

On Kindle:
Menu > Settings > Menu > Restart
YES, it worked with 2 books. I'm re-adding my library as we speak and hopefully this will work en masse!
Either way, thank you so much for your patience, kindness and help. It's truly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Great! Glad things are working.

I wasn't really sure where things were going wrong, but I figured removing and re-adding your books with proper device configuration settings should work.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
Blue2u
Wizard

After deleting my library [900+books] and re-loading, the page numbers are not working again.

I deleted them as per above post, changed the setting for custom column to unchecked [blank]. So the only setting I had changed initially was 'send page numbers' from 'fast' to 'accurate'.

It doesn't make sense that it worked on 2 books, but not when I changed the whole library. Maybe too many at a time? [this is what it did before I posted, I had it working on 3 books, but when I re-did the whole library it wouldn't show pages again].

Suggestions?

Last edited by Blue2u; 01-15-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:22 AM   #14
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Not sure. Did you eject the Kindle before re-adding your books? If you do remove a lot books at once, eject the kindle and wait a few minutes before reconnecting; give the device a chance to catch up with the changes. Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem is.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Not sure. Did you eject the Kindle before re-adding your books? If you do remove a lot books at once, eject the kindle and wait a few minutes before reconnecting; give the device a chance to catch up with the changes. Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem is.
Yes, and restarted it before I added the books again. And after. And I made sure the Kindle was done indexing the new books after the re-add before I tried it.

I guess I'll try it again, with a longer 'resting' period in between.