Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
sfmike
sfmike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question about PDF => AZW3?

I have a 76MB PDF file with graphics, which I would like to convert to Kindle format so my kid can read it on his Paperwhite. In the past I've done the email to Amazon with "Convert" in the subject line, and while the results weren't always pretty, at least it recognized the text and I could change the font size. However this file is too big to email to Amazon, as well as an online service I tried.

So I downloaded Calibre 4.3, converted the file to AZW3 format, then copied into my Paperwhite Documents folder. The document appears on the Kindle and I can open it, but it behaves just like a PDF file - the image of the whole page appears and no ability to resize text (except for zooming on the image which is useless). Have double checked and the file is AZW3 format. No errors anywhere in the process.

Is this correct behavior? Is there any way to convert a PDF to a file where the font can be changed on the Kindle?

Thanks for any tips.
sfmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if your pdf file is simply a page scan file containing images of the pages then that is what you will get in the output file as well. If it contians actual text then and only then will you get actual text in the output file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3 conversion, paperwhite, pdf