Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Question Question about downloading epub files

At my websites I offer free epub ebooks for download. I have noticed however that when I test my sites the file wants to download as a .zip file.

This is the scenario:

1. right click on link to epub ebook.
2. choose save target as.
3. dialogue box to save to my computer appears with the file labeled as .zip.

Now, if I manually change the file extension to .epub it saves just fine as an epub file.

See what I mean at this page: http://www.falbepublishing.com/brave...nloadpage.html

However, I am worried that my visitors may not know to do this and they are getting a confusing mess with a .zip folder download.

Should I be worried?
Why does the epub file do this but not other formats?
I have a download service that delivers my paid ebooks to customers and its links to not do this .zip thing.

Any insights people can offer would be appreciated.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You need to tell your webserver what an epub is. See this post.

Having said that, I can't see any problem with your site.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But it does work perfectly well with Firefox. It's that POS MSIE that doesn't work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have heard of this happening on Macs, but it might also be an issue with other browsers. An ePub actually is a zip file, and its mimetype is application/epub+zip. Some browsers seem to associate .epub with ZIP. This isn't a huge issue if the file is just downloaded (as you say, just rename from .zip to .epub), but some browsers try to "help" by invoking an unzip step.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Thanks for the advice. I suspected it was the web browser. It's nice to know Firefox isn't doing this. I'll try and figure out how to tell my server what an epub is.

Thanks.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
downloading, epub, zip