Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Versatility in reading file formats

I own a Franklin Ebookman 911, which has sadly died on me.

Although a machine from the stone age there was one thing I really liked about the reader and that's all the different file formats I could read on it, albeit with the help of conversion programs in some instances.
Txt, HTML. PDF. Word, and Lit files could be read.

I really dislike readers that limit you in the content you can read, so I'm looking for a new reader that has the same versatility in reading files and welcome any suggestions.

Simon
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The iLiad supports the most formats on an E-Ink device (MOBI with DRM, PDF, and about a dozen DRM-free formats via FBReader, including LIT via a pre-processor). It does not support Word, but FBReader handles RTF.

However, off-device conversion is also a viable option. The Kindle does this via Amazon servers, Calibre does this for Sony devices on any Desktop, and Windows MobiPocket Reader is one approach for MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Versatility in files revisited

Thanks for the input. My Ebookman has actually come back to life again , so that takes the edge off having to find a new Ebook reader.
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote