Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robvarga View Post
But we also want a chance of anticipating what kind of problems we may have... if having colors mean that we have it possibly for a short period of time and then some ugly grey peeks out, I may not want to have that color.
for sure!
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #17
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I believe the colour underneath is the same as each corresponding outer colour of rubberized coating.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #18
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
@Robvarga

At the link is a stripped down Pocket Pro that one of the forum members photographed.
You can see the inner surface of a blue one is blue also (albeit a different shade).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59011
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
@Robvarga

At the link is a stripped down Pocket Pro that one of the forum members photographed.
You can see the inner surface of a blue one is blue also (albeit a different shade).

Yes you are right. Looking at the inside of my white battery cover, there's a spot that's not painted, and it's white underneath.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #20
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
I believe the colour underneath is the same as each corresponding outer colour of rubberized coating.
Maybe in the new batches it might be the case, in the first couple it wasn't (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=83). I'm kind of worried about the peeling now considering I bought mine around the same time as the OP (coupled with reported peeling of the black).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
.... I can't describe the look that hit my face when I saw the wrinkling. I know it felt like I slipped into some bizzaro world. ...

Maybe a bit like your avatar?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
robvarga
Connoisseur
robvarga began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini
Quote:
@Robvarga

That is true for the blue, white and black models.

It is documented not to be true despite claims from Astak in case of Maroon (the one I would love if it was at least red underneath the painting).

I don't know about the purple and the pink ones.

And RobertB is continuously and consistently ignoring my questions in this subject. I also sent him a private message, which seems not to have been read so far.

I would love to buy one Pocket Pro, would even be willing to buy a Slate Blue if the paint problems persist, but I want to know in advance, what I can expect. RMAs from UK is likely not going to be free (I doubt Astak will refund me the additional tax and duty costs incurred because of the RMA and/or replacement device, considering there are reports in this forum about Astak not responding to replacement requests for more than a week...).

Best regards,

Robert

Last edited by robvarga; 11-30-2009 at 09:31 AM.
robvarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by daizyduke View Post
If the paint is a problem, why don't they sell them the color they come from manufacturer? Why paint them to begin with? Are any of them not painted? Just curious.
The translucent paint is from the Manufacturer and is applied over the Silk Screened labels.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
was gone all four days of T-Day weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvarga View Post
That is true for the blue, white and black models.

It is documented not to be true despite claims from Astak in case of Maroon (the one I would love if it was at least red underneath the painting).

I don't know about the purple and the pink ones.

And RobertB is continuously and consistently ignoring my questions in this subject. I also sent him a private message, which seems not to have been read so far.

I would love to buy one Pocket Pro, would even be willing to buy a Slate Blue if the paint problems persist, but I want to know in advance, what I can expect. RMAs from UK is likely not going to be free (I doubt Astak will refund me the additional tax and duty costs incurred because of the RMA and/or replacement device, considering there are reports in this forum about Astak not responding to replacement requests for more than a week...).

Best regards,

Robert
Dear Rob:

I did just catch your private mail and responded with a long-winded reply.

The wrinkled paint was a pain for you all and a horrible financial loss for Astak. STILL: we stayed with good Customer Service and took care of all.

The latest finding from the factory is that the leather case had chemicals in it that, when it touched the Pocket PRO paint, caused the wrinkling as the paint had not sealed. The cases themselves have been changed and lined completely now and the paint is sealed.

I have often admitted on this forum that I am not a tech. My job is Business Development. So, I often have to assume to some extent. We once had 6 inch EZ Reader Basics in colors and on them the resin itself was impregnated. For whatever reason, the factory did NOT mix the paint with the resin this time but sprayed it on. The result looks great and every color came out quite beautiful. Anyway, that is why the battery cover inside may not match the outer color. The paint will not wear off and should last forever with no fingerprints and it feels great in the hand.

Now that the case has been changed the wrinkling is past history and no longer a worry. I have that on the word of our Chief Tech. Astak DID take care of everybody and shipped replacements as soon as we had the solution in stock. Yes, we did have a few returns where we could not ship a replacement immediately as we were waiting for proven units that would NOT have the same problem. That was the only delay. We did not sit wasting time... we wanted a definite answer in hand before we shipped.

Last edited by Robertb; 11-30-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Rob:

I did just catch your private mail and responded with a long-winded reply.

The wrinkled paint was a pain for you all and a horrible financial loss for Astak. STILL: we stayed with good Customer Service and took care of all.

The latest finding from the factory is that the leather case had chemicals in it that, when it touched the Pocket PRO paint, caused the wrinkling as the paint had not sealed. The cases themselves have been changed and lined completely now and the paint is sealed.
How do we recognise whether we have one of the new safe cases, or not ? Is it a different colour inside or something?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
If the paint is wrinkling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
How do we recognise whether we have one of the new safe cases, or not ? Is it a different colour inside or something?
Dear Jusmee:

We are not exchanging cases as once the paint is set even with the old case it should be fine. The case is exchanged now WITH the Pocket PRO if an exchange of the device due to paint is needed. Otherwise, you are fine with the existing case.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #27
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Take a napkin and wipe it around the inside of the case and see if you get any residue.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #28
jusmee
Wizard

OK thanks. At least if I'm not safe, mine is white, and the plastic underneath is white.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Yep, my white one is peeling on the left side as well. Maybe it's oils in the skin, I don't know. And the black is coming off the arrow symbol and the number 1. I thought maybe a bit of clear nail polish would stop the peeling. It stopped the peeling after it wrinkled the coating, should have known better than to use nail polish but that's all I had around. I have had the unit for about 2, maybe 3 months now and it's a bit disappointing to see wear popping up so fast but I just do not want to separate myself from my PP to return it...

Last edited by booknut; 12-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #30
warpwar
warpwar began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
I bought mine from Newegg on October the 28th and it has begun to peel on the right side.

can I return it to Astak? I think if I return it to newegg I am going to get another one with the same issue, they probably have a "batch" of them in one of their warehouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
I just do not want to separate myself from my PP to return it...
same here, but the peeling I discovered on Monday has gotten worse, now the 9 & 0 buttons along with the lower right corner are bubbling up.

Last edited by warpwar; 12-02-2009 at 09:57 PM.
warpwar is offline   Reply With Quote