Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Zeynep
Zeynep began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Question Full screen on the device

Hi,
I am a newbie at development of epub3. I want my ebook to be full screen when turned on the device. I do not want it to look like a printed book. I use Sigil for development. How can I do this?

Thanks.
Zeynep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Not use Sigil, since Sigil is not for ePUB3 but for ePUB2. Whether the ePUB3 is full screen or not is decided by the reading application and the settings you made. It is not something you can force in the ePUB3 of course.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeynep View Post
I want my ebook to be full screen when turned on the device. I do not want it to look like a printed book.
Well, any e-book text will "flow," hence fill the screen (assuming it is at least one "page" long).

But perhaps you mean you don't want a white margin all around? I don't think you can force the text to the edges of the screen, at least not in all devices.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is this a book you are reading or a book you are writing. If it is one you are writing you can set the margins to 0 on all sides to force the text to the edge of the pages. Some readers will override this setting so it may or may not work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Zeynep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Not use Sigil, since Sigil is not for ePUB3 but for ePUB2. Whether the ePUB3 is full screen or not is decided by the reading application and the settings you made. It is not something you can force in the ePUB3 of course.
Thank you so much. Which software can I use for epub3 ? Do you have a suggestion for me ?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
Zeynep

Thanks again. It is a book, I am writing. I will explain my problem clearly.
When I open the epub on my iPad, I see two pages and have to turn the page like a printed book. However I want an ebook looks like an iBook (only one page on the screen)
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turn your device 90 degrees? This is not an e-book/e-Pub question, but actually a reader question. It is the software that dictates that.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeynep View Post
Thanks again. It is a book, I am writing. I will explain my problem clearly.
When I open the epub on my iPad, I see two pages and have to turn the page like a printed book. However I want an ebook looks like an iBook (only one page on the screen)
Rotate the device 90°, and view it in Portrait mode. That's how you get iBooks to stop displaying two pages at once. This has nothing to do with making eBooks; you'll have to complain to Apple.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Zeynep

Wink full screen design

I am sorry I can't explain my question clearly. I mean full screen design such as in the example (http://files.infogridpacific.com/epu...-world-v2.epub)

How cna I get this view?
Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I am sorry. I still don't understand the question. You can open the epub file you posted and see what the contents looks like using Sigil or another tool. Are you asking how to build a cover image? The reading program generally dictates how the full screen mode will be displayed. Are you using AZARDI to view the document?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Zeynep

When I open the epub on a reader, I want to see the page like a web page. I dont want two seperate pages. In the example above, it is like I am trying to explain.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

Sigh... Again, you need to turn your device 90 degrees to have it as one page. You can perhaps simulate it in iBooks, but not on anything else basically.

Take a look at this or this link from Liz Castro.

Last edited by Toxaris; 07-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Sigh... Again, you need to turn your device 90 degrees to have it as one page. You can perhaps simulate it in iBooks, but not on anything else basically.

Take a look at this or this link from Liz Castro.
I give up. I'm lost. I don't understand what the question is. If the question is about iBooks, turn the bloody reader. If the question is about ePUBs in general, again, the pagination of two pages versus one page is all about the reading device. Unless you create a fixed-format book (and even then, you'll still get the "page" crack down the middle) for iBooks, you will always get a two-page "look." If you are reading on a Nook or KFire, they have two-page (column) or one-column and auto-rotation settings in their Settings. This has nothing to do with the ePUB itself.

Here, look at all these interior screenshots: http://www.booknook.biz/bk_services/gallery/kindle_fire . Scroll through them all, (menu on the left-hand-side, you can also click and enlarge any image and see its caption as well, or tooltip the caption) looking at the various devices. Particularly look at the Kids' book section (where you'll see more rotated iBooks books). You can see: rotated books on iPads have the two-page "look." That's the way they have it set up. If you make a FF MOBI for KindleFire, you can "force" the "webpage look," but...just use ADE, if that's the big deal, and pick a gigantic font size and size the reading screen appropriately on your desktop.

That's the way it is. If there's another question here, I don't understand what it is.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Perhaps the person means justification. That is where the left margin is even and the right margin is "ragged," or uneven looking, in left alignment. Justified alignment makes both margins straight.

It is a button in Sigil, and you can use format justify when text is selected.

It is also in css, if you want to do it that way. Check out www.w3schools.com for help on this. I apply justified text to my css for paragraphs. That way all paragraphs are justified.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think what the O/P is after is guidelines as to how to make an ePub3 format book similar to that link he provided to. When that book is opened in Azardi all types of scripting / animation is displayed.

Of course, it's ePub 3 and not ePub 2.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub 3, full screen, page setup, sigil