Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
EPUB to Kindle store - convert to MOBI or not?

Is there any point in converting an EPUB file to MOBI before uploading to the Kindle Store? An EPUB is accepted. You get an online or downloadable preview. Am I missing anything?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Is there any point in converting an EPUB file to MOBI before uploading to the Kindle Store? An EPUB is accepted. You get an online or downloadable preview. Am I missing anything?
As far as I know, epub, Word (Doc/Docx) and KPF are the recommended format for upload. Mobi is an acceptable format but not recommended.

If you are using epub, be prepared to use media queries.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
epub2 was what Amazon told us when there were issues with docx page breaks missing.

We upload exactly the same version as all other epub destinations. No media queries. Libre Office Writer with editing in ODT format and proper use of images, styles, header levels and anchor / link to user inline Contents page. Extra Save As as docx and conversion by Calibre with Tablet for page/image mode.

Works 4" Android phone, 6" phone, 10" tablet (lithium epub, Aldiko, Google Playbooks), Kobo, Sony, Binatone and Nook epub.
The Amazon end user sale downloads tested on DXG, Keyboard 3, older Basic, PW3, PW4, etc.

Looks similar to source viewed at 125% and page size set small enough for a full page view on Writer on Linux Mint. I used Windows till 2016 and Word till 2014.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Short answer, no. The epub2 actually works best. Docx is next best.

Mobi is only used here to test before upload and we use the Franken dual mobi from Calibre that has old Mobi KF7 and the az3 KF8 in the one file. We do also upload that to Smashwords as well as epub and doc, so all types of readers are supported.

Amazon knows which Kindle format to deliver, but Smashwords can't know that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Short answer, no. The epub2 actually works best. Docx is next best
My experience also.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I know, epub, Word (Doc/Docx) and KPF are the recommended format for upload. Mobi is an acceptable format but not recommended.

If you are using epub, be prepared to use media queries.
Yes, yes, Amazon is popping up a warning, when you upload a mobi, but the sort of "mobis" that they are trying to cut off at the knees are KF7 mobis like those made by Calibre, etc.

We are still obtaining superior MOBI results, over "just" ePUB results. FWIW. And yes, that's due to mqs. Only a fool would engage in a money bet right now, taking the side that Amazon's going to nuke MOBI format. I don't see that happening in the next...hell, 3 years minimum and maybe 5. If ever.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, yes, Amazon is popping up a warning, when you upload a mobi, but the sort of "mobis" that they are trying to cut off at the knees are KF7 mobis like those made by Calibre, etc.

We are still obtaining superior MOBI results, over "just" ePUB results. FWIW. And yes, that's due to mqs. Only a fool would engage in a money bet right now, taking the side that Amazon's going to nuke MOBI format. I don't see that happening in the next...hell, 3 years minimum and maybe 5. If ever.

Hitch
I think Amazon should do away with Mobi when it's time for the batteries in Mobi only Kindles to be dying. That means that eventually Mobi will go away when the majority of Mobi only Kindles are no longer in use.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Amazon should do away with Mobi when it's time for the batteries in Mobi only Kindles to be dying. That means that eventually Mobi will go away when the majority of Mobi only Kindles are no longer in use.
Hi:

Eventually, of course, they shall. But unlike Apple, which casts off devices, software and frankly, users, willy-nilly, in order to sell more hardware, Amazon uses hardware to sell more digital products, like ebooks. That means that they'll support the older devices far longer.

Look, I'm the first person in line to say "gimme SVG" and "gimme KF8," as it would make my life far easier. But I respect Amazon's position on this, just like I respected MS carrying and supporting XP as long as they did. Not being utterly abandoned as customers builds brand loyalty, presumably. I can say that Apple's behavior around the 1st-gen iPad absolutely alienated me for life; I will not, now or ever, buy another new Apple product and frankly, I make every effort not to buy used ones, either.

I guess I'm just not "cool" by having whatever latest gizmo or gadget they put out, or the newest phone. I don't care to be jerked around, just so I'll dump a 2-y.o. device or phone and buy another, because they take steps to ensure that my apps and software don't work.

Don't really care; can be a happy camper with my Samsung Note 9, and my various other devices, instead.

Hitch
Old 12-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi:

Eventually, of course, they shall. But unlike Apple, which casts off devices, software and frankly, users, willy-nilly, in order to sell more hardware, Amazon uses hardware to sell more digital products, like ebooks. That means that they'll support the older devices far longer.

Look, I'm the first person in line to say "gimme SVG" and "gimme KF8," as it would make my life far easier. But I respect Amazon's position on this, just like I respected MS carrying and supporting XP as long as they did. Not being utterly abandoned as customers builds brand loyalty, presumably. I can say that Apple's behavior around the 1st-gen iPad absolutely alienated me for life; I will not, now or ever, buy another new Apple product and frankly, I make every effort not to buy used ones, either.

I guess I'm just not "cool" by having whatever latest gizmo or gadget they put out, or the newest phone. I don't care to be jerked around, just so I'll dump a 2-y.o. device or phone and buy another, because they take steps to ensure that my apps and software don't work.

Don't really care; can be a happy camper with my Samsung Note 9, and my various other devices, instead.

Hitch
Kobo goes one better by supporting older devices with new firmware. So you get any changes/fixes on the older devices. It's user error if something doesn't work because the user did not upgrade the firmware.

It would make my life easier sometimes if Mobi died. I've seen eBooks from Amazon that are just a mass/mess if media queries. It would be a lot easier to convert to ePub if the CSS was a lot more simplified.

I don't upgrade to the latest phone or tablet as long as what I have still works well enough. Eventually I do upgrade. But not often and I don't go for the most expensive models.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Only a fool would engage in a money bet right now, taking the side that Amazon's going to nuke MOBI format. I don't see that happening in the next...hell, 3 years minimum and maybe 5. If ever.
It would be hilarious for them to block mobi, while still accepting Word files.
And they will never block Word files, in their quest to make self publishing easy for the masses. The absolute garbage produced by self published authors using Word is fine with them.

When I started making ebooks, I saw that Kindle was the dominant format, so I never looked at ePub. Learned to make html (from a text editor) + opf + ncx (using Excel) and compile using kindlegen, then Preview (since I didn't have an actual Kindle then).

After a couple of years I finally worked out that going via ePub and using Sigil was so much easier.

I've been converting to joint format mobi before submitting to Amazon. But now I might just give them the ePub -- though some books I work on are ePub3. Are they OK? I notice that when I generate an AZW from those that the NAV file will be visible; if I hide it in the ePub I will get an error in the resulting mobi.

Also, if submitting an ePub, will Amazon use the embedded cover image, or the one you submit separately?
The cover image I submit is from the print edition, which may be 6x9". I usually rejig the ebook cover to 600x810 to exactly fill the PW screen. So I would rather have that used for the Kindle than a letterboxed image.

Last edited by AlanHK; 12-21-2020 at 08:56 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
It would be hilarious for them to block mobi, while still accepting Word files.
And they will never block Word files, in their quest to make self publishing easy for the masses. The absolute garbage produced by self published authors using Word is fine with them.

When I started making ebooks, I saw that Kindle was the dominant format, so I never looked at ePub. Learned to make html (from a text editor) + opf + ncx (using Excel) and compile using kindlegen, then Preview (since I didn't have an actual Kindle then).

After a couple of years I finally worked out that going via ePub and using Sigil was so much easier.
Indeed it is.

Quote:
I've been converting to joint format mobi before submitting to Amazon. But now I might just give them the ePub -- though some books I work on are ePub3. Are they OK? I notice that when I generate an AZW from those that the NAV file will be visible; if I hide it in the ePub I will get an error in the resulting mobi.
What happens when you simply drop it on Kindle Previewer? AZW is worthless for your purposes, anyway. ePUB3 is compatible with KDP, but I would strongly recommend including an NCX.

Hitch
Old 12-22-2020, 12:40 AM   #12
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What happens when you simply drop it on Kindle Previewer? AZW is worthless for your purposes, anyway. ePUB3 is compatible with KDP, but I would strongly recommend including an NCX.
Hitch
I make AZWs for books I sideload to my own Kindle, when I submit I do the dual mobi. I do check those on my Kindle as well.

I think Sigil keeps the ncx even in epub3. Though you do have to remember to (re)generate it on any changes.

Anyway, if I hide the NAV by removing it from the spine, it converts to mobi/AZW fine, no errors.
When I load on my Kindle, also fine till I page to the end, when it crashes with an error message.

Is this just me? I can redo it and document it more completely if necessary.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I make AZWs for books I sideload to my own Kindle, when I submit I do the dual mobi. I do check those on my Kindle as well.

I think Sigil keeps the ncx even in epub3. Though you do have to remember to (re)generate it on any changes.

Anyway, if I hide the NAV by removing it from the spine, it converts to mobi/AZW fine, no errors.
When I load on my Kindle, also fine till I page to the end, when it crashes with an error message.

Is this just me? I can redo it and document it more completely if necessary.
Alan: when you say "...it converts to mobi/AZW fine..." are you performing that conversion through Calibre? You keep mentioning AZW, which pretty much means either Calibre, is that right? Does the crash still happen if you drop your ePUB3 onto KP or KG?

What, precisely, is your process? You have an ePUB3, with a Nav and with an NCX and then...?

Hitch
Old 12-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If your Kindle supports KF8, you will never see the Mobi part of a dual-Mobi eBook. So making such to test on your Kindle may not be a good idea as you might not be testing the Mobi part.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #15
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Alan: when you say "...it converts to mobi/AZW fine..." are you performing that conversion through Calibre? You keep mentioning AZW, which pretty much means either Calibre, is that right? Does the crash still happen if you drop your ePUB3 onto KP or KG?

What, precisely, is your process? You have an ePUB3, with a Nav and with an NCX and then...?

Hitch
I use the Kindlegen plugin in Sigil.
Uses my install of Previewer which is 2.94.
So that may be out of date. I'm using WinXP so later versions may not be compatible.
For my own use and initial testing, I set it to strip the mobi to just AZW.

When submitting a file to Amazon, I'll make a joint mobi.

There is one publisher I need to make ePub3 for, since they also want to use Apple (i)Books, and I have found that ePub2 has some hassles. E.g., the TOC does not update if you load a new version.

I do the book first in ePub2, then convert to ePub3. I thought that since I have to make ePub3, I could just do all the work in that format and not have to export to ePub3 every time I wanted to share a version.
I found that if I used the ePub3 to convert to Kindle format (either dual or AZW) that the NAV page showed up. If I tried to hide it, it converts with no warnings, but when I loaded it on my PW3, paging to the end caused a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If your Kindle supports KF8, you will never see the Mobi part of a dual-Mobi eBook. So making such to test on your Kindle may not be a good idea as you might not be testing the Mobi part.
I know. I do check the joint file before submitting. The KF7 version looks mediocre, but as long as it's valid, that's fine for this job.

Last edited by AlanHK; 12-22-2020 at 10:32 AM.