Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Kobo to release Limited Edition Aura One

To those planning to buy an Aura one, its probably a good time to be bit patient before biting the bullet as the new version just might be a better fit for you.

The new Limited Edition Aura One will come with 32GB storage, and hopefully lower chance of comfortlight problems as one would think they would have ironed out the issue by now.Might be wishfull thinking on my side, but we will just have to wait and see and hope for the better.

It will cost 280$ , will go on sale on December 6. Kobo VIP mebers will have an option to pre-order before that.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
32GB? Wow. My first generation Aura has a measly 4GB of internal storage, and even with 500+ books, and several of them being large complete collections, I've not even hit the 50% mark.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
32GB? Wow. My first generation Aura has a measly 4GB of internal storage, and even with 500+ books, and several of them being large complete collections, I've not even hit the 50% mark.
All depends on way one uses the e-reader. As the aura one is a large screen device, i would asume many people use it for pdf's and/or comic books/graphic novels/manga. As those types of files are pretty large, the 32GB is pretty welcomed addition imo.
Also now there is the New Kindle Oasis which offers 32GB, so kobo had to respond.
They still have 2 silver bullets over the kindle in the top segment i guess. The additional 0.8" screen property, and the comfort light(which as i said in my previous post, i really hope wont have the same issues as standard 8GB version)
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I've easily hit 8GB in my Aura One. I have right now well over 20GB of Manga, comics and things. It's only about 600 or 700 books. A lot of books with pictures,figures and maps and things too which with high res versions of those will take up 4-10MB a book easily as well. I'm glad eReaders are moving out of the 4GB range finally.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm still waiting for a 6" waterproof Kobo with 8 or more GB.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Damn, and I finally got the KA1 I ordered over a month ago
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I hope the new device has some other compelling feature(s) besides the increased storage because I have 6 GB free already. I don't read Manga or comics, so I have more than enough space.

I've been reading the Amazon subforum where folks are happy with the new Oasis 2, and I'm a bit envious over all their excitement!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I hope the new device has some other compelling feature(s) besides the increased storage because I have 6 GB free already. I don't read Manga or comics, so I have more than enough space.

I've been reading the Amazon subforum where folks are happy with the new Oasis 2, and I'm a bit envious over all their excitement!
No need to be envious. It's understandable; they've waited such a long, long time for more than 6" and waterproofing. Just be happy for them that they've finally kinda sorta achieved parity!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The announcement for this is http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/10/prweb14858540.htm.

Reading that, the only difference is the amount of storage. My guess is they are doing a special production run with the extra storage and then slap a sticker on the box. And that they are doing it to grab a bit of the attention from the new Oasis.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
The Oasis Just started to be Delivered! Wait & see what its like in the Real world!

OP what are the specs of the new Kobo?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
But it seems that it will only be available in the US and Japan... Good thing I don't have many digital manga yet or I might be very disappointed.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It means Americans will have to buy through Kobo, and not from Chapters/ indigo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 AM   #13
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Would be useful if the PDF reader were sny good
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #14
ynaffit
ynaffit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I really want an Aura One for the light, and I could use the extra space (I had to remove the comics from my H2O to keep putting books on it), but the Aura One's expensive enough as it is. I was pretty sure I'd get an Aura One soon, but now I have a dilemma. I'm thinking the space probably isn't worth it, considering my limited funds.
ynaffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
The new Limited Edition Aura One will come with 32GB storage,
I would find this attractive if it included overdrive support AND they fixed the wikipedia zim reader so I have a reason to use that 32G. (complete wikipedia without pictures is about 15G).

Not to derail this discussion, but if I recall correctly, the built in zim reader has (yes, it's still there) the following problems:
1) they removed it from the search menu
2) links don't work between zim shards if it is split, although searching did (and in the current version, links don't work at all)
3) bookmarking wasn't available
4) you couldn't browse to the next article
5) if you had multiple zims (maybe smaller ones with pics), choosing which one was searched was awkward

This IMHO was a very useful feature even with only #1 above working. I hit a book with a huge amount of cultural allusions and having wikipedia at my fingertips was wonderful for making that book meaningful, where a dictionary would not have helped much.

Further discussion of this should probably be in the kobo wikipedia thread.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote