Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Important: people using SD cards and CC V5 on an Android 23 (Marshmallow) device

Is there anyone out there using CC on a device running Marshmallow and also using an SD card? I have strong reason to believe that "Storage Access Framework" solution doesn't always work and I am trying to determine why it fails and, more importantly, how to fix it.

If you are running a) CC V5, b) on a device Marshmallow, c) are putting your library on an SD card, and d) are willing to run a test APK, could you PM me with an email address where I can send the APK?

Thanks
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams25
I am running
a) CC V5,

b) on a device Marshmallow, Galaxy Tab S2

c) are putting your library on an SD card, and

d) are willing to run a test APK, could you PM me with an email address where I can send the APK?

Worked fine before upgrading to MM.
Now it wont let me connect either to server or via wifi.
Says folder on my SD card is protected.
Tried changing folder but no luck'

I'll happily try an apk
All the changes I wanted to test have already been generally released.

I suspect that you have encountered the "SD cards don't work on Samsung after upgrade" problem. From time to time upgrading Android on Samsung breaks CC (and possibly other apps). The only known way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall CC.

To do an uninstall/reinstall with a minimum of pain, follow the steps in our FAQ How do I reinstall CC without losing all my book information?.

If you send me a CC debug log I might be able to confirm the problem or determine whether or not you have encountered something new.
Advert
Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't solve the problem, but this did:

I read that with the android upgrade to MM one can only save on an SD card to the apps own folder.

So I chose to move the files to

/storage/3232-6631/Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid/files

And now I can connect to the content server with no problem.

Would rather have the books stored in a folder of my own choice but at least they are now stored on the sd card.

Just an extra small problem. As a result of a lot of messing around I now have around 2000 books in the folder but only around 1400 in the CC library. Is there an easy way of finding out which of the books in the folder are not in the data base?

Nearly there!

TIA

Mike Williams
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@mikeywilliams25: I am confused. According to the debug log you sent me, you did not attempt to connect. Assuming that you really did attempt to connect, the only way I see where nothing would be in the log file is if one of the extensions in the "Formats and folders" setting points to a non-existent folder in main memory. I will add this case to CC's logging.

Having the private app folder work when other folders don't work also doesn't make much sense. By any chance are you running a non-standard Android system? Is your device rooted?

If you are willing to take the time, what happens if you delete the former book folder "/books" then use CC to move the storage folder back?

Regarding finding the books in the folder but not in the database, you can do that by connecting to calibre as a wireless device. CC will scan for books and try to match them with what is in calibre. This process is hit-and-miss because the metadata in the books can be wrong. You might find yourself needing to take the steps described in the FAQ I have books calibre shows as "On Device" but not as "In Library". What do I do?. It is often easier to ensure that CC and calibre are in sync by deleting all the book files on the device (using a file manager) then resending them from calibre by connecting as a wireless device, searching for ondevice:true, selecting all, then sending the selected books to the device.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@mikeywilliams25: I am confused. According to the debug log you sent me, you did not attempt to connect. Assuming that you really did attempt to connect, the only way I see where nothing would be in the log file is if one of the extensions in the "Formats and folders" setting points to a non-existent folder in main memory. I will add this case to CC's logging.

=============

I did try to connect and then sent the log - I only have one setting for epubs which is pointing to the folder it wouldnt let me access for content or wifi connection. I've no idea why it didnt show up in the log.

=============

Having the private app folder work when other folders don't work also doesn't make much sense. By any chance are you running a non-standard Android system? Is your device rooted?

=============

Yes - I have TWRP installed. When i couldnt connect I read in your faq that one could change permissions if rooted - so I rooted but then found that permissions on the SD card could not be changed even with root.

I found this :

How to - Provide WRITE PERMISSION on sd card for apps on Android Marshmallow
1. Backup File - packages.xml in /data/system folder
2. Open File - in QuickEdit app
3. Search - for app name
4. Paste - <item name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" granted="true" flags="0" /> in/after <perms> tag
5. Save - by pressing back twice and confirming Yes(Grant Root permission if asks)
6 Reboot - ur done.

I would try this but now that I have it working I'll leave it.

=============

If you are willing to take the time, what happens if you delete the former book folder "/books" then use CC to move the storage folder back?

=============

Sorry - it takes so long to copy my couple thousand books that I'm going to let sleeping dogs.....

==============

Regarding finding the books in the folder but not in the database, you can do that by connecting to calibre as a wireless device. CC will scan for books and try to match them with what is in calibre. This process is hit-and-miss because the metadata in the books can be wrong. You might find yourself needing to take the steps described in the FAQ I have books calibre shows as "On Device" but not as "In Library". What do I do?. It is often easier to ensure that CC and calibre are in sync by deleting all the book files on the device (using a file manager) then resending them from calibre by connecting as a wireless device, searching for ondevice:true, selecting all, then sending the selected books to the device.
==============

Thanks - that did the trick!

Mike Williams
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert