Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about which version of Kindle Gen to use to convert epub to mobi

I need to convert my epub,which I made in Sigil, to mobi. I've heard Kindle Previewer is the easiest way to do that, but that to do the conversion via the command prompt saves you money. My question is, if I do the command prompt conversion, which version of KindleGen do I use? (I've heard KindleGen ver.1.2 is the best.) Thanks.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 03-17-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Definitely not a Sigil question. But to answer your question about money... well, the version of kindlegen you use isn't really relevant there either. I certainly wouldn't use anything as old as 1.2, though. You're getting bum info somewhere.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is definitely Not a Sigil Question.
It is Not an EPUB question.
So it must be a Kindle question.

Moderator Notice
Moved to Kindle
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
If you decide to use Kindlegen, you can use the latest version (2.8). As the e-book is compiled, in the command window you will see the finished file sizes for the separate KF8 and mobi files. The file you upload to Amazon KDP will be much larger than either of those, but Amazon delivers the smaller KF8 or mobi file to the reader according to device type.

For example, I just converted an ePub file using Kindlegen. The file size uploaded to Amazon is quite large at 3,529 KB, but the actual size of the file delivered to the e-book buyer will be either 338 KB (mobi) or 396 KB (KF8).
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ditto, just use the latest version available (kindlegen or kindle previewer) to convert.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The command line version does offer a choice of a higher level of compression, but unless your book is enormous (the delivered size, not the uploaded "source"), then the differences are likely to be negligible in terms of bandwidth fees. And again... the version used would still be irrelevant in that regard. The latest version of the command-line kindlegen would do just as well as the earlier versions in terms of compression.

Other than the choice of compression... Kindlegen produces the exact same ouput as the Kindle Previewer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Kindle Previewer use KindleGen to generate MOBI files.

I personally use newest version + KindleStrip to reduce file size by half.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What do you mean when you say that the command-line version "saves you money"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean when you say that the command-line version "saves you money"?
I think there's a misperception that the large file that's uploaded to Amazon KDP is what will be delivered to customers. The file is so large because Kindlegen includes the source files within the mobi it creates. That's why some people use Kindlestrip to reduce file size (it removes the source files). Older versions of Kindlegen did not include the source files (there was a command-line switch), so the mobi created was much smaller. An author has to pay a delivery fee based on file size, so smaller files save on that cost.

I don't see any reason to use Kindlestrip for the file that's uploaded to KDP because Amazon will be delivering a much smaller KF8 or mobi file to the customer than what's uploaded. If you're creating the mobi for your own use, perhaps Kindlestrip would be an advantage, though.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks diap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Definitely not a Sigil question. But to answer your question about money... well, the version of kindlegen you use isn't really relevant there either. I certainly wouldn't use anything as old as 1.2, though. You're getting bum info somewhere.
I was uncomfortable about using 1.2, but somebody told me it was better.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
If you decide to use Kindlegen, you can use the latest version (2.8). As the e-book is compiled, in the command window you will see the finished file sizes for the separate KF8 and mobi files. The file you upload to Amazon KDP will be much larger than either of those, but Amazon delivers the smaller KF8 or mobi file to the reader according to device type.

For example, I just converted an ePub file using Kindlegen. The file size uploaded to Amazon is quite large at 3,529 KB, but the actual size of the file delivered to the e-book buyer will be either 338 KB (mobi) or 396 KB (KF8).
Thanks for the really good explanation, DreamWriter.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Ditto, just use the latest version available (kindlegen or kindle previewer) to convert.
thanks tom. appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
The command line version does offer a choice of a higher level of compression, but unless your book is enormous (the delivered size, not the uploaded "source"), then the differences are likely to be negligible in terms of bandwidth fees. And again... the version used would still be irrelevant in that regard. The latest version of the command-line kindlegen would do just as well as the earlier versions in terms of compression.

Other than the choice of compression... Kindlegen produces the exact same ouput as the Kindle Previewer.
thanks again, diap. I'm just going to do the drag and drop thing, dropping the epub onto the latest version of KindlePreviewer.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Kindle Previewer use KindleGen to generate MOBI files.

I personally use newest version + KindleStrip to reduce file size by half.
Thanks Acid.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't use [KindleGen] as old as 1.2, though.
I still use 1.2 for one simple, purely cosmetic reason. KindleGen 2.x versions seem to add a blank line between paragraphs, while 1.2 leaves paragraphs indented and glued together, with no blank lines in between. I've only tried up to version 2.5 or 2.6 and nothing later, so things may have changed. Note that I never upload books to Amazon.

I'd gladly use 2.x if there were some way of removing inter-paragraph spacing, but I haven't found a way (not that I tried very hard).
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote