Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Question US vs Australian Kindle ebook pricing discrepancies

I was looking at importing the new hardcover of Steve Jobs authorised biography from Amazon UK (with free shipping to Oz). However I discovered that on the Amazon US store, the price of the Kindle edition is US$9.99 (when logged in with my Australian address account). However when logged in with my US address account, it comes up as US$16.99. Is everyone else seeing this?

This seems to be the wrong way around to me. Buying it internationally is significantly cheaper than buying it in the US? Also thanks to a post in the Freebies section, I've found there are quite a few preorders which are free for Australian customers, but which are priced normally for people in the US. Are these pricing errors or special deals for international customers? Do Amazon honour these preorder prices if they're incorrect?
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
I was looking at importing the new hardcover of Steve Jobs authorised biography from Amazon UK (with free shipping to Oz). However I discovered that on the Amazon US store, the price of the Kindle edition is US$9.99 (when logged in with my Australian address account). However when logged in with my US address account, it comes up as US$16.99. Is everyone else seeing this?

This seems to be the wrong way around to me. Buying it internationally is significantly cheaper than buying it in the US? Also thanks to a post in the Freebies section, I've found there are quite a few preorders which are free for Australian customers, but which are priced normally for people in the US. Are these pricing errors or special deals for international customers? Do Amazon honour these preorder prices if they're incorrect?
Do both books say "price set by publisher"?
The expensive US version is probably published by one of the agency 6 publishers? The Australian version is perhaps a non-agency book with a price set by Amazon instead of the publisher?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
They are probably two different publishers. This is a common situation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are probably two different publishers. This is a common situation.
The cheaper "Oz" version is published by Hachette Digital. The "US" version is published by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales and also states "This price was set by the publisher".

So you were both correct. Obviously different publishers for different territories. And vastly different prices, in our favour for a change. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
When it's not the case that you have different publishers/non fixed pricing, there's a standard price increase of $2 for International purchases. I still don't see how they can justify it since there is no sales tax(well... I guess if I wanted to declare it and pay I could, somewhat not worth the effort.) and it's not like I'm paying for 3g delivery.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
When it's not the case that you have different publishers/non fixed pricing, there's a standard price increase of $2 for International purchases. I still don't see how they can justify it since there is no sales tax(well... I guess if I wanted to declare it and pay I could, somewhat not worth the effort.) and it's not like I'm paying for 3g delivery.
That surcharge only applies in countries where Amazon DOESN'T have a deal with the local telecoms operator, and it is indeed a charge for 3G delivery of the book - but "potential" rather than "actual" delivery.

That's really the only way to do it. Imagine if you had a WiFi Kindle and you bought 100 books with it. Then, a couple of years later, you bought a 3G Kindle and downloaded your 100 books over 3G. Would you be happy for Amazon to send you a bill for $200 at that point?

Up-front payment for the "right" to download via 3G is the only practical way to manage something like that.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
That surcharge only applies in countries where Amazon DOESN'T have a deal with the local telecoms operator, and it is indeed a charge for 3G delivery of the book - but "potential" rather than "actual" delivery.

That's really the only way to do it. Imagine if you had a WiFi Kindle and you bought 100 books with it. Then, a couple of years later, you bought a 3G Kindle and downloaded your 100 books over 3G. Would you be happy for Amazon to send you a bill for $200 at that point?

Up-front payment for the "right" to download via 3G is the only practical way to manage something like that.
I think it is making increasingly less sense as less and less of Amazon's sales take place to their 3G devices. They are now making more non-3G than 3G devices, their tablet won't have 3G, and their sales through iOS/Android apps don't involve any 3G charge.
Why should all of their customers have to pay a charge that might affect less than half of them?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's a very reasonable question to ask. It's an issue that there's really no perfect answer for.

The other side of the coin is that, as time goes on, fewer and fewer customers are paying the surcharge. It's gone for most of Europe now, and also, I believe for Australia, too.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
Quote:
The other side of the coin is that, as time goes on, fewer and fewer customers are paying the surcharge. It's gone for most of Europe now, and also, I believe for Australia, too.
The kindle fire should be the last nail in that coffin, unless they want to portray themselves as utter hypocrites. But hey, there may be more to it than we know. Could be that they're just rolling over costs for marketing deals by providers in some territories, 3G traffic data or no.
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Fire doesn't really enter into the picture. It's a US-only device (where of course there is no surcharge) and likely to stay that way.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
The Fire doesn't really enter into the picture. It's a US-only device (where of course there is no surcharge) and likely to stay that way.
I seriously doubt that. Amazon has already, by mistake, announced the opening of their app store to the rest of the world. They're propagating both kindle devices and the kindle store to just about everywhere. Their music service is available internationally.

It would make little sense to limit their only device capable of sampling all of these services when the services themselves are, or are preparing to become, available internationally. Now, if you mean the fire specifically then you might be entirely right. But the Kindle fire 2, or ice, or whatever the next will be called will be international.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
No, the charge is not for that - if it were, it would be against the law. I'm sure they write it off as something interesting never-the-less. I've actually called and asked about it, there's a lot of excuses and ambiguity thrown in, but they pretty much just resort to a "we're sorry sir, but that is the pricing in your region".

The other thing is, you'd need to download the book nearly 25 times to break even without bulk discount.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
ozron
Groupie

Harry is correct, in that Australians no longer pay the extra $2 charge.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFeldt View Post
I seriously doubt that. Amazon has already, by mistake, announced the opening of their app store to the rest of the world. They're propagating both kindle devices and the kindle store to just about everywhere. Their music service is available internationally.
But their video services aren't, and that's the primary target of the Fire.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
TFeldt
Connoisseur

Quote:
But their video services aren't, and that's the primary target of the Fire.
Well, I didn't mean to turn it into a debate since that'd be entirely off-topic for the thread. But since neither one of us are clairvoyants we should do the only sensible thing to resolve this. I bet you 5 karma that amazon will have an android tablet available for international customers within 2 years. To be quite honest I think it'll be earlier than that but I'm hedging my bet.

This is where I'd normally insert a statement concerning the warmth of the kitchen and wheter or not staying there is prudent for you (5 whole karma ought to make anyone sweat), but taunting moderators is probably unhealthy in the long run.