Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, that is what I would ask you. If you care about ePub why do you care about Kindle? You probably don't. A Sony or Kobo or Nook is probably the device you want.

BOb
I don't particularly care about any hardware solution or have any dedicated hardware loyalty... all I want to do is read my books on an e-ink device... but I obviously made a serious error in going for an open format as this means I can't use the awe-inspiring, amazing Kindle... still I guess I'm stuck with the readers I've got and will try to live with my inability to use a Kindle unless I wish to waste time converting several thousand books from a perfectly usable format to another usable format...

And I fail to see why the use of epubs makes one ineligible to comment in this thread...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I don't particularly care about any hardware solution or have any dedicated hardware loyalty... all I want to do is read my books on an e-ink device... but I obviously made a serious error in going for an open format as this means I can't use the awe-inspiring, amazing Kindle... still I guess I'm stuck with the readers I've got and will try to live with my inability to use a Kindle unless I wish to waste time converting several thousand books from a perfectly usable format to another usable format...

And I fail to see why the use of epubs makes one ineligible to comment in this thread...
I don't think you made a "serious error," I think you made a choice. If having ePub open format capabilities is one of your priorities then by all means you'd be better off supporting the companies that keep that format going. If nobody ever buys ePubs from Barnes or Sony or Kobo or any of the others, then Amazon will dominate the market even more than they do already.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
still I guess I'm stuck with the readers I've got and will try to live with my inability to use a Kindle unless I wish to waste time converting several thousand books from a perfectly usable format to another usable format...
How are you "Wasting your time"? Frankly, clicking a button doesn't take that long.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How are you "Wasting your time"? Frankly, clicking a button doesn't take that long.

BOb

Frankly, clicking a button doesn't do it for thousands of files... it may do most conversions fine but some formatting etc. doesn't survive conversions and needs manual intervention... and with mine and my wife's health problems, I have far more important things to do and, when I can relax, just want to read what I've got...
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Frankly, clicking a button doesn't do it for thousands of files... it may do most conversions fine but some formatting etc. doesn't survive conversions and needs manual intervention... and with mine and my wife's health problems, I have far more important things to do and, when I can relax, just want to read what I've got...
Then, skip the ones that didn't format well, or, get a Sony.

I was just answering the OP's premis that Kindle is missing out in some way by not supporting ePub. My answer opinion is, I don't think they are.

BOb
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Then, skip the ones that didn't format well, or, get a Sony.

I was just answering the OP's premis that Kindle is missing out in some way by not supporting ePub. My answer opinion is, I don't think they are.

BOb
Or don't do the damn conversions and stick with my existing epubs which was the point I was making... sorry you missed the sarcasm earlier...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Calibre lets you side load font's onto your kindle.

BOb
Do what? I know you can change the fonts if you hack the Kindle, but I've never heard of this one before.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #23
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
They should sell them as plain text files, that way they could be read on anything
Epub and mobi are both html in different wrappers, so they pretty much are plain text already.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Do what? I know you can change the fonts if you hack the Kindle, but I've never heard of this one before.
I believe it's a Calibre plug-in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #26
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
But in the end I can assure you Amazon didn't "miss" anything. Their choice to exclude ePub is quite deliberate and they feel that they're making better profits with the closed wall Kindle/mobi/azw format.
Agreed. They seem to be doing quite well with this business model.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #27
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i've been here a few months and i still don't understand the epub/mobi war.

if you buy a different type of reader thats on you then, amazon didn't twist your arm. its like me wanting an xbox that plays playstation games. if i wanted one, i shouldn't have bought the other. *shrug*
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #28
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
ePub or mobi, whatever works for you. However, I'm not so sure I would be comfortable calling ePub an open standard. It is sort of open, but ...

The issue is that most books are sold with DRM. As long as DRM is involved I'm not sure you can claim openness. I do recognize that ePub itself is open. But it seems to me that the discussion is mobi plus DRM versus ePub plus DRM.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
ePub is a better format, it allows more formating options.

Second point , the French publishers publish books in ePub, and only ePub. Why should I bother with converting when I can spare myself the annoyance ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Second point , the French publishers publish books in ePub, and only ePub. Why should I bother with converting when I can spare myself the annoyance ?
The whole point is, don't bother. If you are going to buy ePub content, get an ePub device. Why argue and lament about it?

BOb