Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
The future of 5" readers

Looking at what has been recently happening on the market I see a tendency to move towards 6" screen. It's nice of course to have screen estate but I must admit I love my 5" Opus. I prefer to carry it in my purse to the Kindle Keyboard. The new models are fine and dandy but not available in Europe yet, I'm only interested in a 3G model and for the moment won't buy a new one.

Are there any 5" models fans too? Or are we going down the route of a 6" screen with a minimal bezel? Once Opus drops price below 100 € I will buy a backup one, I like it so much even though it's side loading, absolutely no frills reader, with vizplex (good enough for me too)

Size matters, as they say Any thoughts welcome!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Here.
I love my PB360.
Word is that the updated PB360+ is headed your way "real-soon-now".
It better hurry geting there because the entry level US$109 K4 is up for preorder in the UK at £89 and incoming to other markets, with the Kindle Touch not far behind.

Now, as much as I like the PB360, the economics of volume in the business are favoring 6in as the entry level and the new Kindles' dimensions are actually comparable to the few remaining five inchers. So color me concerned that fivers are indeed endangered.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Here.
I love my PB360.
Word is that the updated PB360+ is headed your way "real-soon-now".
It better hurry geting there because the entry level US$109 K4 is up for preorder in the UK at £89 and incoming to other markets, with the Kindle Touch not far behind.

Now, as much as I like the PB360, the economics of volume in the business are favoring 6in as the entry level and the new Kindles' dimensions are actually comparable to the few remaining five inchers. So color me concerned that fivers are indeed endangered.

Have to say am also a 5 inch screen size fan. Love the Opus, PB360,, Sony 350 and EzReader.....had or have all of them.. Ergonomics can't be beat and I find the form factor the best. though as torres said the new 6 inch machines seem to have reduces the real estate ...at least the new Sony is....

Chi Cygni.... with you there... love the Opus.... have a sony 350 as well but read on the Opus more due to ergonomics, ease of Font changing, epub rendering (still one of the best) and simplicity.

Just hope more 5 inch machines keep being churned out....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The new keyboardless 6" kindle isn't much wider than the 5" Sony. Supposedly it will fit in your pants pocket.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am for the bigest screen that will fit in a fishing shirt pocket.
If the bezel shrinks small enough, a 6" should go. I am not sure the $79 kindle is there but things are moving in the proper direction.

My PRS-350 is a decent size though. If it dies and 6" devices havent shrunk enough I will go for the Pocket Book.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I love the 5 in" 350. I didn't think I would before I brought it but I love having a reader that can fit in the little zip up pocket of my big purse and yet is still large enough for me read to be able to read on comfortably.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am seriously considering replacing my travel PRS-300 with the new PRS-T1. I love the 300, but it is time to upgrade it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
With 4.3" now being the new standard for phone screen size and then recent movement towards 4.5, 4.7 and even 5.3" phones manufacturers probably think that there is not much of a market for 5" e-ink readers.

But with no bezel left, isn't 6" the new 5"?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I wouldn't say that 4.3" is the new standard for smart phone screen sizes. Smart phone screen sizes are still predominantly 3.5" (including the KING of smartphones...the Iphone). The largers ones are certainly out there, but they are the exception...not the rule.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But with no bezel left, isn't 6" the new 5"?
I think so. As someone mentioned above, the new no-touch kindle is about the same size as my PRS-300, which is a great size to hold and read (and also for lugging around). I considered upgrading since my birthday is coming up (and I haven't been able to give the missus any gift suggestions), but my Sony still works fine.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I prefer my Sony 350 & do carry it with me everywhere. I made sure I got a back up one in case I can't get another that size.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I hace a PRS-350 (my main reader) and a Kobo Touch, and 350 is much smaller. Prs-300, however, has almost the same size than Prs-650 (I could make the comparison among them last week). For me, I've bought a second 350 in eBay. And no, the Kobo Touch, slightly smaller than Kindle Touch, doesn't fit in some purses my 350 does it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #13
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Looking at what has been recently happening on the market I see a tendency to move towards 6" screen. It's nice of course to have screen estate but I must admit I love my 5" Opus. I prefer to carry it in my purse to the Kindle Keyboard. The new models are fine and dandy but not available in Europe yet, I'm only interested in a 3G model and for the moment won't buy a new one.

Are there any 5" models fans too? Or are we going down the route of a 6" screen with a minimal bezel? Once Opus drops price below 100 € I will buy a backup one, I like it so much even though it's side loading, absolutely no frills reader, with vizplex (good enough for me too)

Size matters, as they say Any thoughts welcome!
I like a 5" too. Something that will fit in a shirt pocket. Samsung just brought out a Galaxy Note which is really a smartphone. It has a 5.3" AMOLED screen. It is way too expensive though.
Still they are bringing to the US sometime in Oct their new Galaxy WiFi S 4" and 5" Players.

In particular the 5" player is of interest. It is supposed to be 269USD while the 4" is either 229 or 239USD.

The width for the 5" player is 3.07 inches, the length is 5.56 inches. [corrected]

Here is the URL (note for Singapore right now.) Coming to US in Oct (16th maybe.)

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...ype=prd_detail

Oops just checked. Now available for pre-order on Amazon. Release date Oct 16 as above.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...7543156&sr=8-2

One note, Amazon has a mistake about the the display at 480x480 pixels, but the Samsung site has it 480x800 pixels.

The device has GPS, and can edit, create, and save MS docs among others.
Of course it can browse as well.

Last edited by frahse; 10-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
My Kindle3 fits perfectly inside the inner pocket of my favorite winter coat!
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm a step ahead it seems. The only reader I always had is a 6"
The 5" models being too small for my taste. They make my reading experience feel kind of incomplete. You have a certain amount of lines with a certain length in paper books, but a 5" is far from allowing the same experience and I think my 6" reader takes me close but not quite fully there. For me the ultimate reader should be a 7" ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote