Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #31
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Or too limited in your bandwidth.

No question about the bandwidth. That's one trade-off for living in rural America. But being able to drive without traffic offsets that by a large margin.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And now they are saying the big 10" may be available before end of year as well:

http://www.slashgear.com/10-inch-kin...ders-30184237/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fire vs. iPad:
The reason for all this is that Fire has a very specific purpose. It is first and only an entertainment tablet. The interface helps you find and enjoy movies, music, games, apps and books. There's also a robust Web browser.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1ZS3HgNvU
Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #34
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I'm not comfortable with my books only being available from some "cloud" owned and controlled by a for-profit company. I want them physically under my control in some way.
Heh. The alternative to the cloud is to have your files available on a disk drive or memory device (manufactured by for-profit companies) under your physical control.

In my experience, I have lost data to drive crashes and corrupted files many times on media in my physical possession; I have never lost data in the cloud. The damage to Amazon for losing data (or suffering a security breach) is many orders of magnitude greater than the damage to Seagate or Kingston if my data storage device fails. And I trust Amazon to take more care in backing up and protecting my data in their server farms than I do at home.

Sure, there will be data losses and security breaches in the cloud; but that's still where I'm going to shift my data as much as possible for day-to-day use. Though yes, now that you mention it, I'll probably back it all up from time to time on some data storage device in my physical possession.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #35
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't worry about the cloud because of security or big brother, I do worry about the cloud simply not being universally available.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #36
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I guess my worry is that they could change a policy at some point and apply it to your prior purchases, although I don't know what possibilities there are as far as that goes, so it's just complete speculation.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have started to buy music from Amazon rather than itunes - too many syncing problems.

I gifted my kindle keyboard, and ordered the $79 kindle. It and the case should be waiting for me when I get home! Got my husband and my daughter off my account (they don't need to see what I am reading).

I also ordered the Fire. I have a galaxy tab (Verizon), and I find the 3g really only good for email, and I can get that on my phone. I don't like paying $20/month. I tried to cancel the contract, but I used the upgrade to get my daughter an iphone. So I am stuck paying $20/month for another year and a half.

I'm fine with wi-fi only. I will be able to store a movie or two on the Fire, so not having wi-fi shouldn't be an issue. Here is how I get movies on my tab without cost (except HBO). Record movie to DVR. Copy to DVR recorder (I have to edit out the coming attractions, etc). Put DVD into computer, launch Handbrake (free software) and when finished (I'm currently converting Season 4 of True Blood - each 55 minute episode takes about 30 minutes.) I import into itunes. I have 100 movies in my itunes library. I have watched about 3. I have over 1500 books on my tbr list. I have enough yarn to start a yarn store. Do we see a pattern here?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
... Got my husband and my daughter off my account (they don't need to see what I am reading).

I also ordered the Fire. ....

I have 100 movies in my itunes library. I have watched about 3. I have over 1500 books on my tbr list. I have enough yarn to start a yarn store. Do we see a pattern here?
#1 Good for you!
#2 Great!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #39
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
...and may not let up until they completely own the market.
Respectfully, you're dreaming.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #40
kennyc

Un, no I'm not. what is it with you and your Nook-Love? I've read half-a-dozen posts by you this morning being an apologist for B&N or attacking the recent Kindle posts?

By saying "respectfully" and then tacking on an insult doesn't make such a post acceptible.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #41
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ummmm, saying "you're dreaming" is hardly an insult; if you took it as one I will say you're being a bit overly sensitive but if it really did offend you, then I apologize. I won't change my sentiment but I'm sorry it upset you.

You must have missed the post where I said the new Kindles are fine devices, gave Amazon a "well done" for the new line and that the Kindle 3 I had was a great device, or perhaps you just ignored those.

And yes, I do think you're dreaming if you really think Amazon will "completely own the market." That has nothing to do with the Nook, it just means I disagree that Amazon will "completely own the market."

Last edited by Grimm; 10-03-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #42
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...being an apologist for B&N or attacking the recent Kindle posts?...
Yeah, that honor belongs to boswd who is not available. *trying to soften the mood*
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #43
Grimm
DRM killer

Someone has to do it to temper all the Kindle stroking that runs amok here. *adding to the softening*
Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #44
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, that honor belongs to boswd who is not available. *trying to soften the mood*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Someone has to do it to temper all the Kindle stroking that runs amok here. *adding to the softening*