Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'll admit I was surprised to see the Fire had no SD card slot and only 8GB. That's very anemic. My oldest son is mostly into Pandora and streaming but we have a HUGE music library that I've been slowly moving to the Amazon cloud storage bit by bit for months now. I don't know if we'll ever get everything up there.

We'll see how it works but I agree that I prefer on board storage to the cloud stuff any day - especially once you put a movie or two on a device.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I would say that the 8 GB of storage has been chosen very deliberately, not so low that the device is crippled, but to motivate people to a) buy more from Amazon to use the Amazon Cloud and b) lead in to a greater take-up for paid extended storage for users' non-Amazon content.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I would say that the 8 GB of storage has been chosen very deliberately, not so low that the device is crippled, but to motivate people to a) buy more from Amazon to use the Amazon Cloud and b) lead in to a greater take-up for paid extended storage for users' non-Amazon content.

Graham
Exactly. They (as well as Google) want to promote the Cloud.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
No interest here. My Kindle3 holds more books than I'll ever read in a lifetime, doesn't need daily re-charging and works in sunlight. I never read magazines on a computer screen, even my big 24" LCD monitor. I watch TV on cable on a real 40" TV screen, and my DSL isn't quite fast enough for streaming video because I'm too far down the fiber-optic cable line, they tell me. When I listen to music, it's through my home system with a big 500W amp and venerable AR-3a speakers which aren't just slightly better than ear buds and MP3.

So in short, I guess I'm just too picky to want to find some way to do everything half-way on one device.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
When I listen to music, it's through my home system with a big 500W amp and venerable AR-3a speakers which aren't just slightly better than ear buds and MP3.
Is the 500W amp so you can still hear the music when you're down the road with the Kindle?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #21
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Is the 500W amp so you can still hear the music when you're down the road with the Kindle?

Graham
You bet! Actually, the AR-3a's are 4-ohm speakers and two of five on the system, with a JBL center and a pair of AR-4ax's rear, so it takes a lot of easy power to push all those cones on acoustic suspension boxes. It sure doesn't have any trouble driving my iPod earbuds, though ...
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

So in short, I guess I'm just too picky to want to find some way to do everything half-way on one device.

Or too limited in your bandwidth.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'm not comfortable with my books only being available from some "cloud" owned and controlled by a for-profit company. I want them physically under my control in some way.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I'm not comfortable with my books only being available from some "cloud" owned and controlled by a for-profit company. I want them physically under my control in some way.
I agree.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Me too. Although that is not new with this iteration of Kindles. I download and remove encrustation on all my books.

Maintaining books on the device won't change and the amount of storage necessary is negligible (unless you want to put the Library of Congress on there).
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon safely stores my books for me and lets me fetch them whenever I want.

I am at one with Amazon
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #27
kennyc

Monkeys are too trusting.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #28
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
You can download your books and keep them wherever you want.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #29
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I'm interested in hearing about the fire's keyboard. I know it's primarily about media consumption, but if it can do slick (say slick, silk three times fast) web browsing and good email it can be an adequate net top replacement for some uses.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #30
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
No interest here. My Kindle3 holds more books than I'll ever read in a lifetime, doesn't need daily re-charging and works in sunlight. I never read magazines on a computer screen, even my big 24" LCD monitor. I watch TV on cable on a real 40" TV screen, and my DSL isn't quite fast enough for streaming video because I'm too far down the fiber-optic cable line, they tell me. When I listen to music, it's through my home system with a big 500W amp and venerable AR-3a speakers which aren't just slightly better than ear buds and MP3.

Great post, I totally agree. I would never think to watch a movie anywhere except on my tv with my 5.2 speakers powered by a 5 channel 405wpc amp audio system doing the work. and watching it on my 32" crt Sony tv. While my tv isn't the latest & greatest, it's still going strong and the colors are spectacular no matter where you sit in the room.

I don't mind listening to mp3s with ear phones if sitting in an airport, but when I'm home I want to listen to all my music and movies on my system.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote