Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Cool Web Site that Offer Free eBook.....How can you

Tell IF they are Legal??
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most of the "illegal" websites are easily identified by what I'd call "broken Pottery". That's to say if they're selling or giving away the Harry Potter books, they're not legal (at this time). Of course, that's not the only thing to test, but it's that kind of thing - popular titles sold at the major stores, but given away for free, or titles known to not yet be officially in ebook form. Some names and methods you also get to know (those "subscribe $5/year to us and get all these ebooks for FREE!" type websites, often looking very similar to each other).

That's pretty general, but that's the gist of it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
To expand a bit further on Marc's comments:

1. If you discover a site but are unsure as to its legality, PM any mod with the link and let us check it out first.
2. Any site giving away copyrighted books free is 99.99999999% sure of being a pirate site.
3. Sites offering books in ebook format that "aren't available anywhere else" are probably illegal.

There are major authors currently unavailable in ebook format that are dead giveaways for illegal sites: Harry Potter (until Pottermore goes into business), Perry Mason titles, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This does not help much. Most sites have members that put Copy Righted ebooks on them. When discovered they are removed. To me that Doesnt meant the Site is illegal....just means the members are. So I guess No One knows an illegal site from a legal one.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No site which does not proactively police its downloads for illegal content can be considered legitimate. It's easy to tell those sites which are legit from those which try to hide behind a smokescreen of "we're not responsible for what our members upload".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This does not help much. Most sites have members that put Copy Righted ebooks on them. When discovered they are removed. To me that Doesnt meant the Site is illegal....just means the members are. So I guess No One knows an illegal site from a legal one.
If our answers don't help much, perhaps you would like to elaborate on your question and why you are asking it on Feedback in the MobileRead forum. Do you wish to know if a specific book/site you've found is "illegal"? Do you wish to know if you can post a link to it on MR? You now have the attention of three Moderators trying to promptly help you with your MobileRead community experience, so it might be worthwhile availing yourself of that attention.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

NO! But heres the reason I asked.....
A member of another site I am on Posted a Web Site that listed Tons of ebook free sites. I went thru them & found 1 I really like. Now FF 3 weeks later. Another member posted a link to a site that she got several books she wanted for yrs [Paperback format] From 1 of the Free sites for eBooks. [Hope I didnt conffuse anyone LOL] ANYWAY I like the site I found so much I posted the link to it also. Owner of the site sent me a Nasty email saying Illegal web site links were not allowed!
So I Question How does a site Listed in a Popular web site list suddenly become illegal? A site I am told has been up & running for yrs. BTW this has been the 3 time in a yr this has happened to me. I Sick of not knowing How to establish Legal & Illegal sites grrrr

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-27-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, Katie, for elaborating. It's a very good question. To take it to extremes, Amazon could be an "illegal site" under some definitions seeing as they occasionally get copyright infringing ebooks uploaded by people for sale. I guess one criteria to use therefore may be, as you say, on the open willingness and desire of the host to police/take down the infringing material?

I'm thinking on it....also, I'm about to walk my dog's so I'm being a bit disingenuous in saying I'm thinking on it. But I will, and we'll both also hopefully see what others have to say. It may be that the answer ends up being one of those "grey" ones, hey?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

sigh....
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
sigh....
Katie. I don't understand.

Thus far you've asked an unelaborated question on the Feedback forum to which two Moderators initially responded in an attempt to help, trying to "elaborate" on how they think you might be relating it to MobileRead (and its policies/guidelines). To this you responded that our answers "don't help much" and an almost accusatory and dismissive "So I guess no-one knows".

Another moderator contributes an answer, and I ask for elaboration, which you provide, and which I then try to use to continue discussion.

Your response is as above.

With your "sigh" I now don't know what you want, or are expecting, from this MobileRead Feedback thread. The reason Moderators are responding is because this area is generally for feedback on MobileRead, its policies, its Guidelines, or to ask for help on MobileRead matters.

So...?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I am sorry! I didnt really know where to ask this question. IF you could place it where maybe another Member might know the answer please do.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am sorry! I didnt really know where to ask this question. IF you could place it where maybe another Member might know the answer please do.
Ahh, so you're just asking, not specifically in relation to MobileRead, but just generally. Well, that could work well over in General Discussions. I'll move it over there in a moment. It should get a lot more opinion and response there.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

THANKS!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

This thread has been moved from Feedback, so please don't worry too much about the responses to the OP up above as we were talking at cross-purposes, us thinking of the question only related to MobileRead, rather than as a general question. And note the OP's elaboration at post #7.

Please discuss. I know Katie will appreciate the discussion.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm really not sure where the confusion lies. No site which allows pirated books to be freely advertised and downloaded without having a proactive policy in place to sort out such issues can be considered "legitimate". Yes, such things CAN happen at any site which allows uploads; it's what the site DOES about it that determines the "legitimacy" of the site.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote