Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #16606
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've got a 90% off select books code that I can't get to work. Maybe someone will have luck.

Get 90% off select titles - apply promo code 4TD8PE at checkout

OFFER EXPIRES 06-7-2018

And don't ask what "select books list" they are talking about. When I click on the email link I just get the main store page.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-05-2018 at 07:40 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #16607
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Awesome...that code just worked for me for a book that my husband wants that is $20 on Amazon. Kobo wanted $16, got it for $1.49.

Lady Death
The Memoirs of Stalin's Sniper
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #16608
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Awesome...that code just worked for me for a book that my husband wants that is $20 on Amazon. Kobo wanted $16, got it for $1.49.

Lady Death
The Memoirs of Stalin's Sniper
Wow! I am so glad you got it to work for you.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #16609
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My hubby isn't able to read as much as he would like as he isn't retired yet. So when he wants a book, I like to be able to get it for him. We were fairly set on paying the high price if it hadn't gone down by the time he was ready for a new book. He watched a video of an interview that the woman did, and was interested in her life.

I do love a bargain.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #16610
Wolfe
Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo
With VIP membership - does anyone know if the 10% off also applies if you use your points to buy the book? It doesn't appear to be the case, but with Kobo you just never know ...
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #16611
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
For Canadian members

Father's Day Big Red Weekend at Canadian Tire. In-store only.

20% off the purchase of all Kobo gift cards. Check local store for availability.
Quote:
While quantities last. Rainchecks unavailable. No Price match. Gift cards cannot be purchased with CT money. Offer valid June 7-10, 2018.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #16612
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
With VIP membership - does anyone know if the 10% off also applies if you use your points to buy the book? It doesn't appear to be the case, but with Kobo you just never know ...
Each "points" price is a range of money prices. I think the minimum points you can spend is 2400, and the regular price could be $0.99 or $3.99.
lkmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #16613
Wolfe
Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolfe knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Each "points" price is a range of money prices. I think the minimum points you can spend is 2400, and the regular price could be $0.99 or $3.99.
Thanks for this. Actually though I was wondering if Kobo gives the 10% VIP discount on the amount of points needed to purchase a book. For example, if there was a book that cost $10, then a VIP would only pay $9, given the 10% discount. If the same book was worth 10,000 points, would a VIP only be charged 9,000 if they wanted to buy it using their points?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #16614
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
For example, if there was a book that cost $10, then a VIP would only pay $9, given the 10% discount. If the same book was worth 10,000 points, would a VIP only be charged 9,000 if they wanted to buy it using their points?
No, VIP or promo code discounts don't apply to the number of points needed to redeem for a book.

The points for a book is based on the book's list price, not the discounted price, so even if you could apply a discount it wouldn't affect the number of points needed.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #16615
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yeah, the points just don't work that way. 2400 points is presumably a list price of anything from $0.01 to $3.99. I think the next point increment is 2800 which must start at $4.00 but I don't know what its upper limit is.
lkmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:04 AM   #16616
Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
No, VIP or promo code discounts don't apply to the number of points needed to redeem for a book.

The points for a book is based on the book's list price, not the discounted price, so even if you could apply a discount it wouldn't affect the number of points needed.
Thanks for confirming.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #16617
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I believe that the points needed to buy a book are based on the current price. For example, Open Road Media has about 300 SF books priced at $1.99 (they're having another sale), and their list price is $7.99, based on the price of other ORM books by the same author. The sale priced books only need 2400 points, but the normal priced books need 4000 points.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #16618
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I believe that the points needed to buy a book are based on the current price. For example, Open Road Media has about 300 SF books priced at $1.99 (they're having another sale), and their list price is $7.99, based on the price of other ORM books by the same author. The sale priced books only need 2400 points, but the normal priced books need 4000 points.
Usually the publisher sets a sale price by temporarily reducing the list price, so the points will be reduced too. But if they did it by increasing the discount, then the points won't change.

From what I've seen, if two points-eligible books have the same list price (undiscounted price) then they always have the same points price, regardless of the final discounted price. But if you compare discountable and non-discountable books at the same discounted price, the non-discountable ones usually need fewer points because they have a lower list price. For example:

(Edit: The prices in these screenshots include 15% tax, but the points are based on the tax-exclusive price, so they will not necessarily match the values in other countries where the tax rate is different or the prices don't include tax.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Discountable.png
Views:	226
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	164379   Click image for larger version

Name:	NonDiscountable.png
Views:	231
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	164380  

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-08-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: tax
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #16619
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Usually the publisher sets a sale price by temporarily reducing the list price, so the points will be reduced too. But if they did it by increasing the discount, then the points won't change.

From what I've seen, if two points-eligible books have the same list price (undiscounted price) then they always have the same points price, regardless of the final discounted price. But if you compare discountable and non-discountable books at the same discounted price, the non-discountable ones usually need fewer points because they have a lower list price. For example:

(Edit: The prices in these screenshots include 15% tax, but the points are based on the tax-exclusive price, so they will not necessarily match the values in other countries where the tax rate is different or the prices don't include tax.)
Perhaps I did not make it clear in my comment. I believe the price of the book in points is based on the current non-VIP price. When I was mentioning the Open Road Media books, I was using the non-VIP price. In your screenshot examples, you were comparing a VIP price reduced book to a book. I think that if you were to look at a book that normally sold for $14.99, but was on a one-day publisher sale for $7.99, non-VIP price, the number of points needed would be the same as a book normally sold for $7.99.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #16620
zoomi
zoomi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
50% off promo code from email never works

Hi All. Can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and what they did about it. Here's what happens: Every few months I have been getting an email directly from Kobo that offers me 50% off my next read. I click on the link in the email and get transferred to the Kobo site where I browse the list of books that come up. I can always find a mystery that I want to buy. I click Buy Now and when I enter the Promo Code I always get the error that says the item isn't eligible or the code is expired etc. I've tried clearing cookies, temp files. I've tried using Chrome, Google, Microsoft Edge. I've tried using the desktop app. Nothing ever seems to work even though Kobo sent me the code. What I usually end up doing is going to live chat and the representative will usually have me purchase the book at full price and they credit me back the 50%, but it's such a hassle. I've never had a problem with a different discount amount, it's only the 50% ones. Any suggestions? Thank you.
zoomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals