Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #76
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm sorry, but I don't have exact information on that.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #77
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's some info on using calibre to restore those missing covers:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-covers-issue/
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #78
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Thank you! Going to look now and hooking my Oasis up to the computer
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #79
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hooked up with the new version of calibre. I will leave it plugged in a bit to see if that fixes the cover issue.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Unfortunately, it has to do with Amazon's newest firmware. I find it very bothersome on side-loaded ebooks, which is only what I put on my Oasis.

However, I can't test the newest version of calibre, which supposedly solves the issue - a fix, so I hear - due to the fact that my old MacBook Pro (mid-2010) won't handle the newest version of calibre.

Hopefully, Amazon will correct this issue.

I don't think it occurs on ebooks purchased from Amazon. (??)
Not just the newest firmware. The problem also exists on 5.12.3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #81
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ Thanks, Jon. I wasn't aware of that.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #82
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I haven't had a freezing metal back issue some have said. Sometimes it's slightly cool at first when I first hold it, but I like that. I live in Florida, though, so I may never run into the cold issue I've seen others reporting.
Bear in mind that this thing was designed by Californians: i.e. by people who live in a coastal desert at more or less your latitude with similar amounts of aircon in their buildings. You'll probably be fine. I had this problem, but I live at the same latitude as the Aleutians, and though Cambridgeshire is a lot warmer, the UK also has the problem that its houses have fairly crappy insulation, so they're often quite cold (and I like them that way). Without a skin, the Oasis 3 feels pretty damn cold at my optimal working temperature of 10--15C, but most people who aren't me find that rather chilly... and also I have quite bad RSI so my hands find things chilly that most people don't. A perfect storm.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #83
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
Not sure if I will just make a sleeve for the Oasis or get a proper cover. I'm assuming I'll like the buttons on the left so wonder how a cover will work with that?
Oasis covers are invertible, just like the Oasis: i.e., you can flip them upside down without trouble.

I, at least, find I flip the thing from hand to hand every ten minutes or so as a matter of course, with no preferred orientation (other than "portrait").
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #84
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Bear in mind that this thing was designed by Californians: i.e. by people who live in a coastal desert at more or less your latitude with similar amounts of aircon in their buildings. You'll probably be fine. I had this problem, but I live at the same latitude as the Aleutians, and though Cambridgeshire is a lot warmer, the UK also has the problem that its houses have fairly crappy insulation, so they're often quite cold (and I like them that way). Without a skin, the Oasis 3 feels pretty damn cold at my optimal working temperature of 10--15C, but most people who aren't me find that rather chilly... and also I have quite bad RSI so my hands find things chilly that most people don't. A perfect storm.
Makes sense. I hate the heat and get hot easily, so I'm not minding the cooler feel in the evenings as my hands warms it so far. I'm not anticipating this becoming an issue
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #85
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I read for several hours last night. It was comfortable to hold in my left hand, I reset the forward button to the top one again since the way my hand naturally holds it from the left side, left thumb hits the top button more naturally.

I ordered a MoKo sleep cover for it. I've enjoyed MoKo covers for the Kobo, so hope the same will be for the O3. I felt that the O3 definitely needs protection.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
^ Thanks, Jon. I wasn't aware of that.
I have a PW3 with 5.12.3 and when I tested it, i did show the cover problem. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how if the Calibre fix really fixes the problem.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #87
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a PW3 with 5.12.3 and when I tested it, i did show the cover problem. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how if the Calibre fix really fixes the problem.
I would be very interested in your findings.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #88
Paperbackstash
Wizard

For right now, until/unless I can think of something else, going to stick with the water theme and name the new Oasis Leviathan. Seeing Erin's 5th Kindle in the corner is bugging me. Not the most original name, but a sea monster, can't go wrong for a placeholder and it may keep growing on me.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 07-04-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #89
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

If you like sea deities and things associated with the sea, then how about these ideas for naming your new Oasis:

1) The Abyss - The place where ebook covers go.
2) Cthulhu - Has numerous tentacles to hold those missing ebook covers.
3) William Hope Hodgson - Check him out. A great writer!

Please remember that going the Cthulhu route and actually USING a name associated with one of the Great Old Ones opens the hapless reader to the possibility of actually SEEING one of these deities, which immediately results in a case of incurable insanity, since the human mind is incapable of processing such information. This would, of course, defeat the purpose actually READING on your new Kindle Oasis 3.

Proceed with caution...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-05-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #90
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
If you like sea deities and things associated with the sea, then how about these ideas for naming your new Oasis:

1) The Abyss - The place where ebook covers go.
2) Cthulhu - Has numerous tentacles to hold those missing ebook covers.
3) William Hope Hodgson - Check him out. A great writer!

Please remember that going the Cthulhu route and actually USING a name associated with one of the Great Old Ones opens the hapless reader to the possibility of actually SEEING one of these deities, which immediately results in a case of incurable insanity, since the human mind is incapable of processing such information. This would, of course, defeat the purpose actually READING on your new Kindle Oasis 3.

Proceed with caution...
Ha, that's cute.

Fortunately my e-book covers did come back with that trick with Calibre, thank you.

Other possibilities I was considering:

Nerida - means mermaid in Greek
Caspian - Pretty name, with the sea, but also a nod to Chronicles of Narnia

Since I have one water name with with my PW4 (Inis Odyssey), and a moon name with Moonsliver (have a mood and night-time reading thing), I had been looking at forest names since I love reading outside with woods/nature --- but cannot find any appealing forest names when browsing.