Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
Can I use my ipod charger?

Can I plug the USB cord into my ipod wall charger to charge my K3? (the official kindle one was not in stock) Or failing that, some other USB charger?

I'm in Australia if that makes difference.

Thanks
fallsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I am not 100% sure, but I can tell you that I plugged our iPod touch USB cable into the Kindle charger converter and charged it from the wall, so I think your iPod converter should work fine. I think the USB voltage and current are pretty well standard.

On my converter is gives 4.9V DC at .85 amps. If your other charger does that it should be fine. As long as the amps it is trying to draw are less than the amps the converter can provide.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
I've done this already and didn't have an issue, if possible check the amazon one and see if there is any mention of the output current (ie Output 5VDC 800mA) and make sure the alternate charger has the same or higher current, and obviously it should also be the same voltage

Alternately it'll charge when connected to a PC if you're really desperate.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
The Kindle charger that comes in North America is the one that I was quoting above. It is rated 4.9 VDC and 850 mA. I know that there are a lot of other wall chargers available now, as long as they provide at least 4.9 VDC and 500 mA they will be acceptable. A higher amperage is preferred, but the computer standard is 500 mA so it will work at that level.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that could be mentioned is that I tried to use a generic USB cable (the same one I use for my Nokia's data) to charge my K3 (to cut down on the number of cables carried) and the Kindle refused to reach its fully-charged state. Using the Kindle's supplied cable did the trick. You wouldn't think there would be any difference between micro-USB cables but from my experience it seems there is!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i m not guarantee but i guess it may work
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have charged my Kindle directly with its USB cable from both an iPod-type (though generic) wall adapter, and from one running from a 12v car cigarette lighter socket. No difference at all to charging through a computer USB port.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I use my Iphone charger without incident. I have done so for the K2 and K3. It charges faster than when in the PC USB.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote