Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
OK, here are some pictures, with instructions to follow. Link to album.

jetBook and parts: overview:

jetBook and parts: overview two (other side):

Screen closeup:

Internals closeup:

Battery set aside and foil peeled (CPU etc is under foil):

Blue dye job (still wet):

I'll put it all back together tomorrow once it's been given ample time to dry. Fire away with any questions!
very very very cool! if i buy one for my mom i'm definitely going to give her a custom color like this
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Here's what it looks like put back together! I gave it about 20 hours to dry:

I love the contrast between the white and blue. Looks better than I had imagined.

For anyone else trying this: beware the reset button! I completely forgot to put it back before I had the entire case reassembled. This was quite irritating, as removing the case is the hardest part of the entire process. Since the reset button has the potential to slide around, I recommend sticking it in place, then putting the case on with the screen facing down on a hard, flat surface.

I'll probably see if it needs any touch-ups in about a week. There is a bit of white around the area where the two halves join, but it is barely visible. The trick is to spray some paint on a paper bag or something, then use a Q-tip to touch-up. Also, I may redo a spot in the upper-left corner where a teeny bit of straw got caught under the paint and made a funny line (I was spraying outside).

One more note: The LED is visible! It leaks out around the edges of the blue, so it has an interesting effect. Not nearly as prominent, but you can see it if you are looking.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Here's what it looks like put back together! I gave it about 20 hours to dry:

I love the contrast between the white and blue. Looks better than I had imagined.

For anyone else trying this: beware the reset button! I completely forgot to put it back before I had the entire case reassembled. This was quite irritating, as removing the case is the hardest part of the entire process. Since the reset button has the potential to slide around, I recommend sticking it in place, then putting the case on with the screen facing down on a hard, flat surface.

I'll probably see if it needs any touch-ups in about a week. There is a bit of white around the area where the two halves join, but it is barely visible. The trick is to spray some paint on a paper bag or something, then use a Q-tip to touch-up. Also, I may redo a spot in the upper-left corner where a teeny bit of straw got caught under the paint and made a funny line (I was spraying outside).

One more note: The LED is visible! It leaks out around the edges of the blue, so it has an interesting effect. Not nearly as prominent, but you can see it if you are looking.
Unbelievable! I think you can sell it on eBay for double price because nobody has it and it looks really great!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #19
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Unbelievable! I think you can sell it on eBay for double price because nobody has it and it looks really great!

Well, I love it, so I think I'll keep it. But double what I paid would be $340... it seems doubtful that anyone would pay that much considering that it's not a well-known reader (yet). In any case, anyone is free to try it... if I can do it (never having done it before), I'm sure someone else could! I gave it a go because I read that it's hard to botch vinyl paint.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It look awesome, I love the contrast! But personally, I'd have taken a very deep red colour (I love red!) But then again, that blue cover now matches the blue text on the buttons perfectly...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Very Cool! I don't like the looks of the white ones either (glad mines black).

Thanks for sharing.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It look awesome, I love the contrast! But personally, I'd have taken a very deep red colour (I love red!) But then again, that blue cover now matches the blue text on the buttons perfectly...
I saw that exact color (deep red) on the shelf, but I decided to go with blue since burgundy is already sold by Ectaco. I was hoping for unique. And indeed, it does match with the buttons.