Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Epubcheck lives!

This online Epubcheck works just as the old one did: http://validator.idpf.org/

(And it's still insecure! But if you add the "s" it doesn't go anywhere.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
So the IDPF website is back online.

Good news for those looking for a copy of the EPUB 2 specification.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
This online Epubcheck works just as the old one did: http://validator.idpf.org/

(And it's still insecure! But if you add the "s" it doesn't go anywhere.)
Why bother to use the IDPF website to validate your ePub with both Calibre and Sigil have an epubcheck plugin that works much better?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I would think that those who DON'T use Calibre and/or Sigil would like to know about it....although, I too prefer Sigil's ePubcheck plugin....it's secure!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I would think that those who DON'T use Calibre and/or Sigil would like to know about it....although, I too prefer Sigil's ePubcheck plugin....it's secure!
I prefer Calibre's plugin because I can fix the error easily. IN most cases, I just double click the error message and 'm taken to it and can then fix it. It just works better. Plus, once I'm done, the eBook is already in my Calibre library with the fixes in place.
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why bother to use the IDPF website to validate your ePub with both Calibre and Sigil have an epubcheck plugin that works much better?
So I was told, but I couldn't find it, and when I asked, I got screamed at. I don't enjoy toxic forums, and the Sigil forum is especially bad.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So I was told, but I couldn't find it, and when I asked, I got screamed at. I don't enjoy toxic forums, and the Sigil forum is especially bad.
So install the epubcheck editor plugin for Calibre. It works very well.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
As forums go, I've seen much worse.

Trundle over to this thread: EpubCheck plugin for Sigil and download the epubcheck(version).zip file from the first message.

Open Sigil, click on Plugins => Manage Plugins => Add Plugin. Browse to the .zip file you downloaded and open it. Assign the epubcheck plugin to one of the Quick Launch buttons.

Please note that since epubcheck comes in the form of Java .jar files, you will need to have Java installed to allow it to run whether standalone or the Sigil and calibre plugins.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Notjohn - I have only had an issue with a few people in the Sigil forum...and they are usually people who barge in demanding answers without doing the least little bit of homework and then argue with the answers they are given.

It is definitely not even in the top 100 of "toxic forums".

If you go to the Sigil forum you will find the Plugins link in the very top of the list - see attachment. Then follow the directions DNSB provided.

Cheers,

Edit: For anyone who is curious, you can find the thread to which Notjohn refers here. He was not screamed at. He was actually helped quite readily in a very polite manner. Interestingly, he admits to his campaign to denigrate the Sigil forum whenever possible. FWIW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	175544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	175545  

Last edited by Turtle91; 12-12-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote