Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Oliva
Oliva began at the beginning.

Device: none
Legality of using fonts as images

Hi,
if a font's license does not allow embeddability, is it legal to make an image with it (SVG or bitmap) and insert the image into an e-book? What kind of license would allow this, besides freeware and open source licenses? I have a lot of desktop fonts, some can be used in e-books, others not. I know that each font's usage is governed by its own particular license - with my question I was just looking for general ideas and practices. Thank you.
Oliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm certainly not a licensing expert, but I would think not. You are still using their font for yourself. Unless you get permission - from the license, or specificly written from the author/creator - then you would be setting yourself up for trouble.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliva View Post
Hi,
if a font's license does not allow embeddability, is it legal to make an image with it (SVG or bitmap) and insert the image into an e-book? What kind of license would allow this, besides freeware and open source licenses? I have a lot of desktop fonts, some can be used in e-books, others not. I know that each font's usage is governed by its own particular license - with my question I was just looking for general ideas and practices. Thank you.
This is one of the worst things you can do in an eBook. Most of the time, this graphics image of text is not all that readable. If what you are inserting as an image can be done as text, do i that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
I always thought the reason for restrictions on embedding fonts was due to the relative ease with which an end user could rip it right back out again, making it essentially a redistribution of the font itself. I wouldn't think there'd be any difference licensing-wise between text-in-an-image in an ebook and text-in-an-image online or in print materials.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
font companies steal fonts from each other, so i don't think anyone care if you use bitmap or vectors in your book. however embedding is prohibited.

old but relevant link
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Oliva
Oliva began at the beginning.

Thanks for all your answers. I found out that, sometimes, fonts that prohibit embedding, do allow using the font for cover images which is then covered by the desktop license. It's dangerous to generalize, though.

I know that text as images should be used only as the last resort. I would only do it for aesthetic effect on chapter starting pages (a decorative glyph > SVG), for scene dividers, for the raised cap for the first paragraph in the chapter, or for the words "The end" on the last page.
Oliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for all your answers. I found out that, sometimes, fonts that prohibit embedding, do allow using the font for cover images which is then covered by the desktop license. It's dangerous to generalize, though.

I know that text as images should be used only as the last resort. I would only do it for aesthetic effect on chapter starting pages (a decorative glyph > SVG), for scene dividers, for the raised cap for the first paragraph in the chapter, or for the words "The end" on the last page.
The only time you hae to do the ext as a graphic is for Mono that doesn't support embedded fonts. There's no other reason. What you want to do can be done in SVG.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

There isn't any "font embedding' in a cover. That's...apples and oranges. When you make a book cover, of any kind, paperback, eBook, etc., the final product is an image, effectively--whether it's the laminate cover or paperback cover of the cover, or the digital cover. That's NOT what font embedding IS.

Font embedding means putting the ENTIRE font file--every single glyph--into an eBook or other file type, which would enable the recipient of the file, at the other end, to extract that same file and thus possess the font. You could type every single glyph in a font on a book cover and produce it, and it still would not allow the end book buyer to "extract" that font and own it in a usable way. The end user would not be in any different position than he would if he went to myfonts.com and viewed the glyphs list for that font face.

If you want fleurons (scene dividers), those work far better as images, ANYWAY, because there are still myriad devices that won't display embedded fonts.

So now, all we're talking about are the Dropcaps/Raised initials. If you make those images, the user (or you!) will never be able to find the word/phrase in which those are embedded with search, as something like "Snake thought that..." in search, with an imaged cap, would look like "Xnake thought that..."

You can buy something like Mercer Caps, which are indeed pretty foofy, for a boxed initial cap, or you could just make a dropcap with the body font. OR you could embed a font (in the real meaning of the word) and then subset it, but some would say that's skirting the intent of font licensing, if not the law.

And finally, if it wasn't clear from my cover comment, you can use images of fonts from now until hell freezes over and that's not font embedding. It IS, however, a gross injustice to the buyer of your eBooks. Don't use images of fonts for reading text--ever. (Yes, yes, you can use an image of a word in, say, Hebrew, if it's a single instance or something like that, but I mean, don't make your body images of text, period.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Font embedding means putting the ENTIRE font file--every single glyph--into an eBook or other file type, which would enable the recipient of the file, at the other end, to extract that same file and thus possess the font. You could type every single glyph in a font on a book cover and produce it, and it still would not allow the end book buyer to "extract" that font and own it in a usable way. The end user would not be in any different position than he would if he went to myfonts.com and viewed the glyphs list for that font face.
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what do you call it if the font used is a subset font?
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what do you call it if the font used is a subset font?
Heart wrenching, perhaps.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Heart wrenching, perhaps.
Only if you wanted to grab the font from the ePub.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A subset font. Tricky, I know.

Hitch
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
A subset font. Tricky, I know.

Hitch
Really?
Take a Hubcap or the whole car. Do the cops care?
But Yer Honor, It was only a "Y and Z"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Really?
I thought he meant what to call it. It's still font embedding. A subset for a novel anyway is like taking all the car except the hub caps and number plates.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Really?
It actually does matter, Ducks. In the Adobe Systems v. Southern Software Systems, Inc. case, the court ruled that fonts are software (not creative Intellectual Property, which is why traditional copyright doesn't apply), and that by copying an entire font file--the ENTIRE file--the software was effectively stolen.

Subsetting works around that. I mean...logically, what's the objection to "redistribution" or "embedding"? It's that the end-user, the buyer of the book, could extract the file and then own the font and be able to use it. Nobody cares if you have a Desktop Publishing license and put 300 of 301 characters of a font on a book cover, or in a printed book interior. That's because they can't extract the font from the printed copy or the cover image.

Similarly, if you subset a font, the end-user can extract the file all he wants--but the font isn't usable, because he doesn't get all the characters. Let's say you use a font for drop caps. You use, say, 18 letters, all upper-case. That's a far cry from the entire font file.

So, in every sense, font embedding legally prevents the font from being "redistributed" as a font. The entire "software program" (font) doesn't work, because some of it is missing.

I mean--think of it this way. If you took images of the upper-case letters and slapped them in as drop caps, like boxed letters, would that be embedding? Nope, just as it's not embedding to use the font's picture on a cover or anyplace else.

Font redistribution licensing (the existence thereof) deals with and addresses the possible repercussions of the (entire) font (file) being extracted from the (end) file and being stolen and reused by someone who hasn't licensed it. Font embedding precludes that.

I don't believe--but don't factually know--that there's ever been a legal case about whether or not subsetting meets the intent of the Adobe v. SS case, but I suspect that a foundry would have a very hard time making the case that a subset font was font embedding under the legal definition thereof.

Hitch