Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Some of Forward's books are available as ebooks from Baen Books.

Also, you might check out some of James Hogan's books. Most of them are available from Baen Books. The Giant's series (Inherit the Stars is the first) is possibly his best known books. I really like the Genesis Machine, The Two Faces of Tomorrow and Thrice Upon a Time as well
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
'Foundation Trilogy' is tops in my book, and keeps me coming back to read it again every few years.
'Stranger in a Strange Land,' 'Dune,' 'I,Robot,' all top the Sci-fi charts!

Stitchawl
Foundation Trilogy has been my #1 favorite SF book(s) for decades. the others you name are right there as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #33
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hogan wrote so many good books that I'd struggle to make a specific recommendation, but among my favourites are:

Code of the Lifemaker
Endgame Enigma
The "Giant" series (5 books)
Realtime Interrupt
The Genesis Machine
The Proteus Operation
Thrice Upon a Time
Voyage from Yesteryear

All available from Baen.
Most of these sound interesting. However, one thing I'm concerned about is how much, and in what ways, does he mix his libertarian politics into these and other works? Also, how would you classify his libertarian leanings--social, economic, both, neither? Actually, these questions could probably apply to a lot of other science fiction authors as well. (I, myself, lean towards social libertarianism, but with some limitations; but for economics, I believe wholeheartedly in favor of regulating corporations and redistribution of wealth.)

In addition to Hogan's work, the works of Allen Steele (at least the Coyote series) and Robert L. Forward also sound interesting.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
You might want to post your request for hard science recommendations reads on PBS, Goodread, and Amazon communities which all have very active Sci/Fi discussion groups and threads. Just a thought.
Where do I find these discussion groups (links and/or directions)?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #35
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
Where do I find these discussion groups (links and/or directions)?
Paperback Swap: Under "Community", "Discussion Forums", "Discussion by Genre", "Science Fiction" http://www.paperbackswap.com/forum/forum.php?f=37 .
On Amazon, "Customer Communities" http://www.amazon.com/gp/tagging/communities/directory, "Genres", "Science Fiction".
On Shelfari and Goodreads, under communities
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #36
tmclough
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
Paperback Swap: Under "Community", "Discussion Forums", "Discussion by Genre", "Science Fiction" http://www.paperbackswap.com/forum/forum.php?f=37 .
No wonder I couldn't find anything at pbs.org! Of course, I was a little surprised to see PBS listed initially, and seriously wondered if there was another PBS that I wasn't aware of. Google was no help. NOW it makes a lot more sense!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Most of these sound interesting. However, one thing I'm concerned about is how much, and in what ways, does he mix his libertarian politics into these and other works? Also, how would you classify his libertarian leanings--social, economic, both, neither? Actually, these questions could probably apply to a lot of other science fiction authors as well. (I, myself, lean towards social libertarianism, but with some limitations; but for economics, I believe wholeheartedly in favor of regulating corporations and redistribution of wealth.)
I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that question. Hogan wrote good "hard SF" novels; they are not "political" works.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #38
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I would add Ben Bova's Grand Tour series, where he writes on human colonization of the solar system.
I haven't read them all, as there are quite a few (cf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bova#Grand_Tour), but I have liked a lot the ones I read (Mars, Return to Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, ...).
I've had a quick look, I can't seem to find those ebooks on legal sites, though.
A few of his other works are available on Baen or Fictionwise.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I would add Ben Bova's Grand Tour series, where he writes on human colonization of the solar system.
I haven't read them all, as there are quite a few
I have read them all, and they're very good. It's best to read them in order, as there are recurring characters throughout them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #40
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I couldn't get through Bova's 'Mars' - I found the Native American aspects too overbearing .
Is it a recurring theme in his books?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

In addition to Hogan's work, the works of Allen Steele (at least the Coyote series) and Robert L. Forward also sound interesting.
What? I find this very strange to be concerned about what politics are expressed in fiction...it's fiction for gawdssake.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #42
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What? I find this very strange to be concerned about what politics are expressed in fiction...it's fiction for gawdssake.
I think it's a problem when the 'agenda' gets in the way of the story.
That was why I stuggled with 'Mars'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #43
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sometimes the political bearing of the author is quite present and can be disturbing if you don't adhere to it.
I had such problems with Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #44
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
<ontopic>I don't think anyone's mentioned Greg Egan yet. If I had to define hard sf, I'd start by pointing at Greg Egan. I wouldn't start with either of the two most recent novels. "Diaspora" is probably what most people start with. Check out "The Planck Dive" for a short story sample.</ontopic>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I might also suggest Steve Jordan's "Factory Orbit", a favorite of mine, but I just now discovered his web site (and ebook store) is down for "significant restructuring of the business model"
Ask him if you want (he is here). I got the impression the website might not have been supporting itself, so this could be a matter of cutting his losses.

I'd be surprised if he gave up completely without e.g. switching to SmashWords. But there'd be a lot of compromises there; I don't see him rushing into it.

Silly to drop the blog though. I assume he had an RSS feed for it; that would have helped get the word out when he rebooted the website. Even it was just a redirect to somewhere else.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #45
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Sometimes the political bearing of the author is quite present and can be disturbing if you don't adhere to it.
I had such problems with Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos.
What "political bearing" was in Ilium and Olympos? I can't remember one.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote