Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #76
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Sample patch: show all games in beta features

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...15#post3719317

Advantages over old-style one: way shorter, does not need to be updated to new versions, easily editable.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-09-2018 at 03:50 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #77
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, this looks nice. I'll check it on the weekend.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #78
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you, this looks nice. I'll check it on the weekend.
No problem! This will make updating patches so much easier. Also note that this feature won't be much use until oren64 ports his patches.

Now I going to see if I can find a way to also make the other patches version-agnostic. I'm also going to make a nice site with documentation for kobopatch and see what I can do about porting the other patches over.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #79
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
No problem! This will make updating patches so much easier. Also note that this feature won't be much use until oren64 ports his patches.
I'm aware of that, but this can be useful. And, about patching, it's easy, and additional file and that's all.

Quote:
Now I going to see if I can find a way to also make the other patches version-agnostic. I'm also going to make a nice site with documentation for kobopatch and see what I can do about porting the other patches over.
Thank you.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #80
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@geek1011,

I'm still not sure I fully understand how to use FindZlib. Please could you expand your #boggleContainer example. As it stands it looks as if it's enabling the beta games on a single device, the Kobo mini. Or have I misunderstood?

A more typical zlib patch would change multiple occurrences of a single variable (one per Kobo model) or even multiple occurrences of multiple variables.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #81
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@geek1011,

I'm still not sure I fully understand how to use FindZlib. Please could you expand your #boggleContainer example. As it stands it looks as if it's enabling the beta games on a single device, the Kobo mini. Or have I misunderstood?

A more typical zlib patch would change multiple occurrences of a single variable (one per Kobo model) or even multiple occurrences of multiple variables.
FindZlib just finds the base address of the zlib stream containing a unique string. That stream so happens to contain only the code for displaying the games, so I can replace all false visibility properties to true.

Also, another thing you might want to know is that ReplaceZlib automatically minifies the CSS if it is required. To accomodate for this, FindZlib will not care about inconsequential spaces.

I've also ported another patch: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...49&postcount=5

Last edited by geek1011; 07-09-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #82
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
FindZlib just finds the base address of the zlib stream containing a unique string. That stream so happens to contain only the code for displaying the games, so I can replace all false visibility properties to true.

I've also ported another patch: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...49&postcount=5
Thanks, that's much better. Doubly so because that particular zlib patch is one that I originally created and have been keeping up-to-date. You just saved me a job!

Quote:
Also, another thing you might want to know is that ReplaceZlib automatically minifies the CSS if it is required. To accomodate for this, FindZlib will not care about inconsequential spaces.
That was going to be my next question. Well anticipated.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #83
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Thanks, that's much better. Doubly so because that particular zlib patch is one that I originally created and have been keeping up-to-date. You just saved me a job!

That was going to be my next question. Well anticipated.
Also, note that currently (I'll fix it in another version), each replace_zlib is done independently. This means if you have issues fitting what used to fit in, just put it all in one big replace_zlib. For an example, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...67&postcount=6
Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #84
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
There is any chance to use something like
Code:
  src/hyph_es.dic: usr/local/Kobo/hyphenDicts/hyph_es.dic
in kobopatch.yaml to put a file into KoboRoot.tgz?
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #85
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Code:
Good luck.
Yep. That's planned within a version or two.

Also, I have released the first fully converted version of the patches with all of GeoffR and oren64's patches converted to use the new kobopatch features. It can be downloaded here. Please test it and tell me if there are any bugs or possible improvements I could make. A few facts: it is half the size of the same patches in the old format, about half of the patches have been made version independent, all zlib patches now use my zlib functions, and oren64's patches are now included.

In addition, if oren64, jcn363, GeoffR, jackie_w, or anyone else who maintains patches wants write access to the GitHub repository, PM me.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-10-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #86
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Spitballing for people regularly adding extra files (and @geek1011):

Does a source: target config like what @jcn363 proposed makes more sense than simply being able to simply feed another KoboRoot and letting the patcher merge them?

(It's a minor tooling change on my end, so I'm not particular about the details. I kind of like the merge the tarballs approach because it seems like a bit less work for me, and can be re-used for complex things more easily, but really, both approach would work for me ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #87
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Merge tar requires having created them before (nice... well, more or less, in linux, not so much in other systems), while @jcn63's approach looks simpler to me.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #88
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Code:
Good luck.
BTW, now I remember I added an hyphen for en too, that I've forgotten in the last patch, thank you for this.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #89
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Spitballing for people regularly adding extra files (and @geek1011):

Does a source: target config like what @jcn363 proposed makes more sense than simply being able to simply feed another KoboRoot and letting the patcher merge them?

(It's a minor tooling change on my end, so I'm not particular about the details. I kind of like the merge the tarballs approach because it seems like a bit less work for me, and can be re-used for complex things more easily, but really, both approach would work for me ).
For me, it is way easier to allow adding more files rather than merging tarballs. Have a look at this code to see how much easier it is for me.

Also, is there any additional kobopatch tooling you think would be useful for people and patchmakers to have? I'm already working on one to automatically make sure all patches successfully apply.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geek1011: Yeah, I *definitely* get that (plus, handling potential conflicts and duplicates, fun times! ).

OTOH, nothing comes to mind, no. My use-case for the patching step is usually patches + hyphens, so, yeah, that works ^^.

My merge the tarballs idea can probably be done the dumb way in like three tar commands in a shell script, so, err, moving along .

@Terisa de morgan: That's indeed a very good point, too .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb